(Thank you to all of you who commented on my walk down memory lane...and OK... especially to those who said I hadn't changed much along the way! Extra blogging points for you!) ;)
In honor of Veteran's Day, in our school days here at home we've been learning about those that have served in defending our nation over the years.
My daughter interviewed her own daddy just a few hours ago, with sample questions that I found on the internet. As some of you know, he served for four years in the Navy during the first few years of our marriage...and it was fun to see her with her list of questions, pencil poised, asking questions of her daddy in which brought back a lot of memories- for both of us!
While I was doing some research for things to incorporate into our Veteran's Day "theme", I found a website called,
Operation Gratitude.
This site is dedicated to bringing letters and care packages to both soldiers who are currently deployed, as well as a special section for distributing thank you letters to veterans. I immediately wanted to be involved in this somehow!
I'm hoping we can participate closer to Christmas by sending something to a deployed soldier, but this week I thought it would nice to have my nine year old write a simple thank you note to someone who had once served.
The folks at Operation Gratitude will receive the letter first, check it to make sure it is appropriate, pick a name on their list, and then send it on from there to a veteran somewhere in the country that will walk to his (or her) mailbox, peer curiously at the envelope, and hopefully be blessed as it is torn open and read.
We don't know who this veteran will be...a man or a woman...a recent veteran of Iraq or an aging WWII survivor.
We probably won't ever know. But God does. And we're praying for whomever receives it.
Years and years ago, I wrote a narrative poem with old fashioned style stanzas, as I thought about the WWII era in particular. I thought of the soldiers who came home, wondering if they still possessed everything that they held dear.
Unfortunately, I can not find that poem, but I still remember the first stanza:
In shades of golden moonlight hues, a lonely soldier steps
To reach a destination known within a memory kept,
Past homes of glowing fire light, and sounds of laughter near
He only hears the echo of his footsteps in his ear.
Remember to pause and remember...and perhaps thank someone who helped protect and preserve the freedom that we hold so dear.
Blessings!








23 comments:
Tammy,
What an awesome gift that soldier is going to receive. The letter is absolutely beautiful and written from the heart.
Please search your memory for the rest of the poem that you wrote. It is outstanding. I would love to know what the other stanzas said.
Yes, if your girls send cards they should get here in lots of time. S will be thrilled to receive cards from your girls.
Thank you, my friend for this touching tribute. I enjoyed my visit today. Now, I need to catch up with what I've missed.
Blessings,
Mary
What a great post and I love the letter your daughter wrote. That is so special. Give veteran hubby a hug for me letting him know he is appreciated!
That veteran is going to have tears in his/her eyes, I can guarantee it!
Thanks for this great reminder.
A great post...thanks for sharing all of this! and thank you to your husband for serving our country!
That letter your daughter wrote for a veteran brought tears to my eyes and I'm sure it will do the same to whoever receives it. If only more people would be this caring. I can just picture her interviewing her daddy about his time spent in the navy:-) I'm so glad you remembered that first stanza of the poem you had written, how beautiful it is!! xoxo
I thought the letter written by my little grandaughter was beautiful & hope it goes to someeone who will really appreciate it. I am happy that the girls are being homeschooled where they are being taught values & of course patriotism. Having lived through so many wars starting with WW2 I have a great apprecaition of the sacrifices of our servicemenn.
What an awesome idea.
I love your daughter's note. What a sweetie.
Nice poem, I hope you find the rest of it and if you do, please post it.
What a lovely letter your daughter wrote! That will surely bring delight to the one who receives it! I hope they write back to her, that would be a treat!
I know what you mean about Blog Fog! I have nothing more exciting to write about then how many boxes of tissues I've gone through this week! :o(
Liked your meme! The pictures of you are so good, you really haven't changed all that much over the years, very young looking!
This is a great idea. I may have my little ones do something like this. Thanks for sharing. Loved the walk down memory lane in your last post.
Blessings,
Linda
Tammy,
That is such a sweet thank you card from your daughter! Thanks for sharing this...I think it's something Joy would enjoy doing too. She and a few friends have a little club they formed called, "Sparkle Chicks" and they found a soldier to send some things to from Anysoldier.com.
Tell Allyson that her thank you note is really sweet and will really be appreciated by the person that receives it.
I'm so thankful for all of those that served and still serve in our military to secure the freedoms we enjoy. It is such unselfish sacrifice.
Have a great evening!
Tammy
That letter is going to make someone's day! :o)
I did a similar post today... come see!
Blessings!
Oh what beauty in words...... what a beautiful gift......... Blessings to you girl!
what a wonderful letter your daughter wrote! I think that was the perfect thing to do for Veteran's Day! Here is another great site with a comprehensive listing of non-profit organizations that support the troops: http://www.americasupportsyou.com/AmericaSupportsYou/index.aspx
This was beautiful, and what a wonderful experience for your daughter.
Thank you so much for the award.:)
Mulletman never went anywhere when he was in the AirForce, unless you count Knob Noster, MO as "somewhere". =D
However, Scout is about to leave for Kuwait and then Iraq. What a blessing to know that there are writers out there who befriend these soldiers long distance. Even better when those who are writing can share the truth of God's love too.
Tammy,
What a lovely idea. Your daughter wrote a lovely letter. Tell your hubby "Thank -You" Have a blessed day!
Juanita
You missed your calling girl... that poem!!!
What a great idea to have your daughter write a letter! Someone will love getting that.
I love your picture in your header, very pretty!
This is a beautiful tribute. :~D
BTW, your blog header photo is stunning! I love the image and the colors... so welcoming. Hugs.
What a beautiful post and tribute.
Great experience for your daughter.
Praise the Lord for men who are willing to go so we can be free.
What a sweet gesture.What a precious tribute. I lov eyour blog header. Beautiful place :)
Have a Blessed day.
lisa~
Your poem is beautiful. Wish you had the whole thing.
I'm sure your daughter's letter will touch a heart that probably needs to hear such sentiments.
I'm going to check into this for my own girls.
PS: you might enjoy facebook if you had a specific group you wanted to stay in touch with that are not in the blogging mode. I've gotten caught up with some family I never see or hear from. It has been fun.
Now to see about rounding up some high school classmates I never get to see.
Post a Comment