
Final thoughts... Post Election.
I am hoping this will be my last political post for a long time. But tonight my mind and heart are whirling...and I have to share some honest thoughts one last time. Some are not so pretty...but it helps me to sort them out.
Never before have I personally felt such a heaviness in my heart after an election.
Never.
And being in my mid-40's now, I've seen a few over the years...
I remember personally feeling disappointed when Clinton was elected.
And downright irritated when he was re-elected.
But you want to know something? I don't think I have I felt such a sickening kind of disappointment as I do tonight.
And the blunt truth is that tonight- while the blanket of electoral votes freshly cover the map- I am ashamed to say that I feel disappointed in my country for the leader that they have chosen on this day.
For someone who always has held a deep love of country, feeling disappointed with it is completely foreign to me...and a feeling I don't relish at all.
I want to continue teaching my children what a privilege it is to be an American...and to hold dear all that our founding fathers fought so hard to keep. So I am praying, in part, for my own attitude...
I keep remembering what happened in the Old Testament when Israel kept clamoring for a king. God told them that they shouldn't have one, but they insisted anyway.
So he let them crown their king...because God gives us a free will. And lets us make our mistakes sometimes.
Still...even though I strongly feel that this was a completely wrong choice for our country because this man's values go so contrary to God's Word... I keep reminding myself that God is still the Inhabitor of His people.
Perhaps this is a wake up call to so many of us. Not to become complacent- but to pray more earnestly for our nation (and yes, our leader) and for God to bring about a revival in our land.
Tonight, the Bible verses from ArcaMax Publishing, which e-mail verses to us each day- sent the following passages our way. I thought they were just what so many of us need to stand on just now and so I wanted to share them with you...
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, And great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; You shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; And from terror,for it shall not come near you.
Isaiah 54:13,14 NKJV
The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Psalm 121:5-8 KJV
__________________
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God.
Romans 8:14-16 NASB
__________________
Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him.
Let's pray together for our nation...
Blessings!








25 comments:
Thank you *so* much for your encouraging comment! (((hugs)))
I agree with everything you have said about this election. I haven't been through many elections as I am nearing my 30's. But... I agree with you.
I posted something else on my blog this morning about the whole ordeal.
Again (((((thank you!)))))
Thanks for the comment.We all need to remember that we need to "keep our eyes on him".Have a blessed day!
Juanita
You said it well Tammy. God is still on His throne and none of this has taken Him by surprise. It is in HIM that we trust.
Susan
Wonderful passages of Scripture. Your thoughts are mine exactly, and I was first disappointed when our nation elected Kennedy! I am in mourning this morning, and in tears. But I too need to pray about my attitude, and pray for him. Because he has bitten off WAY more than he can chew.
KRisten has done a wonderful post - are you one of her subscribers? IF not, I can make that happen.
I did a vacation post last night, but had to delay it to express some deep feelings this morning.
I feel the same way.
Thanks for posting the WORD. I needed to hear it this morning. :o)
Well said, Tammy.
Tammy,
Your thoughts are mine exactly. I have that very same heaviness of heart....extremely so. I feel like America will face some consequences and I really worry for my children (and yes I know worry is the opposite of faith so I'm really working on that)! But thanks for those scriptures...I really needed those this morning!
Now, as Christians, all we can do is pray and STAND UP...it's as simple as that.
Thanks so much for sharing. It's always good to know a like-minded person! I appreciate your comments more than you know!
Hugs and Blessings to you!
Tammy
I was watching here in Canada, Tammy, and I have to say I was stunned at the overwhelming win. I hoped for you guys that it would go the other way.
Tammy,
I will pray for you to have peace with the outcome of the election. Though I am from Canada, I watched the election with interest. What happens in the US always affects us.
I wish all Americans the very best. Obama has brought hope where there was no hope and I believe that is why he was elected. We shall see how that goes, but remember that God is in control.
Blessings,
Mary
I was not surprised by the results & expected it. You did your best by going door to door to pass out literature in your neighborhood. This was one of the things that helped the Democrats win. Another factor was getting young people registered to vote. Where were the the young Republicans & why weren't they doing the same thing.
So many younger voters were drawn by his being a great Orator & being young looked on Mc Cain as being too old, but being a robust 77 & younger than myself, he is definitly not old. Another factor was O bama's campaining in key states in the East. Some didn't like Sarah Pallen as his choice as running mate. Well now we have a new President & he needs our prayers for wisdom in guiding the country & who he selects to help him govern.
Dear Mary, you are such a good friend and I thank you for your interest and concern- and prayers for our country.
But how can someone bring hope when they do not respect the sanctity of life? Hope- Life...they go hand in hand.
I think of other leaders in world history who have offered so called hope to their people- as well as charisma- and the results were horrendous. I'm praying that God protects and preserves us, and has mercy because our nation has turned it's back on His commandments. So I'm praying for revival!
As in any election, some are happy with the results and some aren't. My heart goes out to all of you who aren't happy with the outcome...having had our Federal Elections back in October, I wasn't happy with the outcome either (our Prime Minister was re-elected and I can't stand him!!) but all I can do now is hope and pray that things turn out for the best and doesn't get worse. Please know that I'm thinking of you and praying that you can find it in your heart to be a proud American once more. xoxo
Tammy, if you send me your e-address to dawn.carlson@colostate.edu, I can get it to Kristen.
Tammy, I understand your pain. We need to continue to trust in Him. I totally understood the comments you made on my posts. Thank you for sharing your heart. If we can't share our hearts with our friends, who can we then?
Wonderful post so encouraging.
Glad that God isn't surprised and actually He wrote the story and the ending and I hear it's a good one!
My sentiments exactly. I have been thinking about Kings lately as well. That was the feel I had through this whole election, regarding Obama especially, and for McCain (please McCain supporters, don't hurt me - I just did not believe he was as good as everyone was saying...Not exactly sure why, but...).
Anyway, our world will continue turning until the Lord says differently, so until then I pray and keep my eyes on God and His leading.
I agree Tammy but our faith in God gives us a "hope" that nonbelievers can't rely on today! My prayers for our country and it's leaders will continue as God guides us through the coming years. God has the complete picture and we are only seeing one tiny puzzle piece. God is still in charge.
The verses are wonderful. I received them.
Thank you for tackling this vital topic. Well done. :~D
In fact, you've won an award! Come pick it up when you get a chance. Have a blessed weekend. :~D
Saddened by the results, but not surprised. Sadly, I was telling my husband on election night that our children might not know the country we knew as kids. Even my mom, who has lived through several wars and many different times of struggle, said something changed most definitely in the Clinton era. *ugh*.
Thank you Tammy for such a wonderful post. My heart has been so heavy for my country. As Christian's we have to feel awful about this election but God's still in charge! I hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs, Lisa
Your comment about Israel clammoring for a King is exactly what I thought.
I guess I grieved before the elections because strangly enough, I awoke on the 5th with hope and joy. It was very strange, but I awoke with joy and hope in my God...not in the man who is about to be our President.
But, the Lord had said to me that He would make a difference just like He did the Israelites in Egypt when he put them in Goshen and they escaped all the plagues.
It is great to be a part of the Body of Christ, and it is great to be a Child of the Most High sheltered under the shadow of His wings.
Blessings...
thank you for your honesty and sharing your thoughts!
my thoughts were whoever wins it is God who appointed him. what may seem bad about that person, God will turn it for the good of His people.
You could not pick a better scripture!
Post a Comment