Monday, January 26, 2009

Birthday Blessings


Thank you, everyone, for your birthday wishes! (And for not yelling at me for confessing my moment of birthday blues...)

As it turned out, most of the plans actually materialized after all. (Which made me feel truly humbled and completely blessed!)
But even if they hadn't, I think I would have been just fine.

My husband actually came home feeling better on Friday night and wanted to take me out to dinner! Although he hoped I would venture out and try someplace new, his unadventurous wife picked her old stand-by, The Olive Garden...at least I always know I'll be getting wonderful food there!


The girls sniffles subsided and they went on to spend the night with their uncle and aunt...and it turned out they spoiled them with taking them out not just for dinner but for breakfast the next morning!


I did spend the first few hours of my birthday alone while my husband had to work, but really, it was nice and relaxing...
My mom called during that time to wish me a happy birthday.
She was so sweet and telling me that she could still remember how it felt when I had been growing inside her! Amazing that time can never erase that for those of us that have experienced that miracle.

Then the rest of the day was filled with family time!
My sister in law graciously had us over for cake with her family...(My 18 month old nephew was more than eager to let the festivities begin!)


and then my husband and girls later that night presented me with YET ANOTHER CAKE!

Needless to say, I did my Wii Fit today! ;)


My husband and girls gave me more presents than I even expected! (They got part of them thanks to the after-Christmas sales!)

Since I didn't get jammies for Christmas, I got two new pairs for my birthday...
And a scrumptious, cuddly new robe!
My oldest and I posed in our robes (I gave her robe to her for Christmas) right before bed and after baths on that birthday evening... and we felt as cozy as we looked!


I also got candles, bath soaps, a gorgeous mug

and the new book from the famous family of 20...


...along with new book light to read it!

My handsome husband, in spite of not feeling one hundred percent, was such a sweetheart...but you can tell, he is feeling just a bit tired by the end of that evening, can't you?


And I have to admit, but the next day, I was feeling a little post-birthday exhaustion, myself!


But today, I had my virtual Wii run and I'm feeling great...(and yes, you really have to run...not just "virtually run"!)

And after my initial mourning of my new number, I've now decided to embrace it.

Hello, my name is Tammy and I am 46.

46!!!! forty-six...FORTY-
SiiiiiiiX....

Wow, that was so freeing...
;)

I'm reminded of the episode of Cosby when beautiful Claire was turning 46...and Cliff made a sign for her reversing the digits so it read, "Happy 64th Birthday!" hehe


And here I have to insert one of the most romantic things my husband has ever said to me...
better than anything Hallmark could write...and I don't think he'll mind if I share it.
He told me that it was an amazing phenomenon to him that not only did I still look young, but that I was actually getting prettier with every passing year and it was incredible to watch.

He said it with such complete sincerity and amazement that I just nearly cried...


Yep, I think I'll keep him. ;)

Edited to add: If you think of it, please say a prayer for my mom who will be having a cataract removed this Tuesday! She loves to read and even had a blog she posts in once in a blue moon...thanks in advance!

24 comments:

Carla said...

WOOHOO! What a great celebration! Do you think you would have enjoyed it as much had you not come to terms that it was ok, either way? Great new pictures-and what a sweetheart you got there:) Happy Birthday Miss 46, you wear it well:)

.Tom Kapanka said...

It is true. Having young people in the house keeps us young, too. Our Natalie came 8 years after the other two, and we're so very glad she did. Likewise, my little brother came when I was twelve (I'd been the "baby" until then and gladly gave up the title), but my mom often said she didn't know what she would have done without him. It kept mom and dad active when the first four had grown and moved out of the house.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming in late, but Happy Birthday. I'll be 45 this year, so we can be young together. :)

Glad you had a great day after all.

Nadine said...

I'm so very happy for you Tammy. What a nice time and lots of cake. Good for you. Your hubby is a keeper.

Susan said...

So happy for you Tammy that you had such a wonderful birthday.
Susan

Pamela said...

can you line us up and have him tell that to each of us. (:

Susannah said...

You are one gorgeous and s*xy 46! Happy birthday again Tammy. :~D

Mandy said...

Glad you had a nice birthday! I'll be praying for your mom.

Blessings,
Mandy

Susanne said...

Sounds like the day turned out just wonderful! And in spite of your birthday you're still younger than me, girl|!

Mary said...

Tammy,

I hope you picked up your copy of the birthday card I created for you from my sidebar.

Turning 46 isn't so bad, my friend. This year, I will be the big 6-0. Mmm! Life is marching onward, but it makes little difference the digits put on my age. I feel young and the grandsons help me feel that way by getting me to do all kinds of things I wouldn't do otherwise.

Glad you had a great day. Praying for your Mom as she has her cataract removed today.

Blessings,
Mary

Cris said...

Hi Tammy!!! What a wonderful birthday you had!!! I'll be turning... 40 this year.............

Nancy said...

What a great birthday you had... you have such a thoughtful family and a great HANDSOME hubby! I've got 10 years on you girl and I promise... it AIN"T all that bad. I do need to get a WII fit! A great post Tammy!

Dawn said...

Happy belated birthday! Glad to read that it turned out to be a good one.

Hope all went well for your mom today, too. Give us an update when you can.

Blessings!

Ruth said...

I have thought about reversing my birthday age next month when I turn 82, but then that would be a bit awkward if I were 28 & you were 46. You still are a beautiful daughter & NO I am not a bit predjudiced.
I didn't have eye surgery bu need the prayers because of an eye problem I just learned about.

Carole Burant said...

I pray that everything went well with your mom's surgery today, dear Tammy.

I'm so glad to hear that your birthday celebrations turned out after all:-) So many times we think that everything is ruined but then all of a sudden, it's all happening so I guess it's to teach us to never lose faith!! Loved seeing the pictures and your hubby is right, you don't look your age at all:-) xoxo

Dawn said...

I'm watching Cosby right now as I type. Ironic. Too bad it's not that one you wrote about!

I trust your mom will be okay! I'm praying for her and you.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful way to spend a birthday. No matter how old you are. ;o)

Yup. I think he's a keeper. LOL

Keeping your Mom in my prayers.

Susie said...

Sounds like a lovely birthday celebration Tammy! Loved seeing the picture of you. You look absolutely wonderful!
xo

Denise said...

Beautiful new header and it looks great! and what a B-Day you had..... I am so glad that the day ended up on a good note....... B-days are something that I try to avoid at my age..... but I do not like the alternative ! I will be 62 soon! OMG.....how did I get to be that old!

Jill said...

I'm so glad your plans worked out. And I am totally with you on the "old stand bys" for restaurants. Why change a good thing, huh? You look wonderful for 64...I mean 46. Have a blessed year ahead.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Wow, what a day of celebrating, Tammy! You know I'm just barely behind you! I'll be 46 in August! I don't mind saying it either...I don't like the alternatives to growing older!

And what a precious thing for your hubby to say, but it's true...you do look young!

The other Tammy

Karen said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was wonderful!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your birthday pictures. It looks like you had a wonderful day. You deserve it! I hope you life is filled with much love and happiness with many happy birthday's to look forward to.
Birthday hugs to you ((((Tammy))))

gail@more than a song said...

I hope you had a happy birthday! I think I might enjoy that book, I love that show.
My laptop and then blog have both been out of commission, both are back and I'm trying to catch back up!