
I decided to join in at Susanne's Fav Five Friday for the first time...
And really, this hasn't been a completely wonderful week.
Instead of having a simple cataract removed on Tuesday, my mom found out that she has Macular Degeneration...something that her own mother lost her eye sight with at about the same age.
When I first heard the news, I felt so upset...my hormones this week were already doing a circus act, so hearing this when I was just waiting to hear how her "simple operation" had gone put me into a bit of a tail spin.
But God gave me many verses when I opened up the Bible that seemed to jump right out at me to encourage my heart. Amazing how He truly speaks to us though His word when we need it the most.
And I know, no matter what a person's age is, God can still heal...He is not limited by anything!
I wanted to now focus in on the positive, and what better way then to finally join in with "Fav Five".
But before I jump into it, I wanted to thank both Brenda and Lisa for giving me the Lemonade Award...
I promise to try and honor ten others with this on my next post.
Edited to add: I had also meant to thank Mary, from Mary's Writing Nook, who made the adorable birthday button in my sidebar...that she did that just for me completely touched me!
But without further adieu,
Here are my Fav Five...
1) Birthday Celebrations
(See previous posts!)
2) My Little Electric Blankie
A couple years ago, my husband gave me one of those personal electric blankets...since I'm usually the one that's cold, it goes right over my side of the bed...toasty warm and everyone's happy!
3) Watching me nine year old perform....
First, in her little Missionettes play this week. They were putting on a Christmas play even though Christmas is long over, in order to earn a special badge they were working on. My daughter was Gabriel! :)
Secondly, knowing we well see her in her second violin recital on Saturday morning. Really, Yo-Yo Ma has nothing to be afraid of...but I am so proud of her the way she has been practicing and improving lately!
4) Looking forward to going to my aunt's 80th birthday this weekend...picking my mom up for it on the way (it's her only sister) and seeing my 'boy cousins' whom I haven't seen in a few years!
5) And last but certainly not least...
Sitting each day this week with my six year old as she reads to me, improving just a little bit more each day.
Her older sister began reading a bit earlier than she had, but suddenly it seems to be clicking with her- and it's like watching a butterfly emerge...beautiful and exciting!
Thank you for letting me share these with you...and for the second time this week, remember just how blessed I really am!








21 comments:
You certainly deserve the Lemonaide award.
Susan
My 6yr old is just starting to read also. He started reading in childrens Bible one night all on his own...What a wonderful noise! thanks for sharing :O)
Hey! Happy Belated Birthday to ya! (And good thoughts going out to your mom...)
Love being there when it "clicks" for our children! Wouldn't trade it for the world!!
Have a wonderful weekend!
I am sorry to hear the news about your mom, but you are so correct to head in the direction of God's Word for support.
Even with rough news, you did manage to see some wonderful tidbits of your life--I would LOVE one of those little electric blankets--in fact I hinted REALLY hard for one at Chritmas! :) didn't get it--yet!
I recall the joy of watching our kiddos learning to read and comprehend. It's just a blessing when that all comes together!
Happy birthday to your aunt!! What a birthday milestone.
Hope you have a great FF5. Dana
Dear Tammy,
I'm so sorry that your Mom's operation showed yet another problem. My prayers are certainly with you both.
Like you, I find it helpful to remember all the blessings in my life, especially when times seem a bit bleak.
How wonderful your littlest is catching on to reading!
xo
I used to love it when my kids read to me too. So sweet.
I'm so sorry about the news for your mom. My mom had health issue news this week too so I know exactly how you feel.
So glad you joined in Tammy. Even during a hard week. I enjoyed reading about your favorites and I'm looking forward to reading all the posts. I find them so uplifting.
I'm sorry the news wasn't what you expected. I hope things go well for her.
What an awesome week! What a treasure to see your daughter perform!
Sorry to hear about your Mom's eye problems. I'll be praying.
Concerning reading, my 7 yr old is the same way. My older daughter picked up reading early and desired to read on her own. Grace hasn't necessarily struggled, but just didn't have the desire. Then her sister got 6 Amelia Bedelia books for her for Christmas, and it seems like she's just taking off with it. I'm so excited. That and of course loving the American Girl.
Great weekend to ya!
Congratulations on your award. I'm sorry to hear about your mom - I will pray for God's healing touch.
I enjoyed your fav five. Cute picture of your daughter.
Friends and family. That is what it is all about. You found some great things in a difficult week and that is also what it is all about.
Blessings to your sweet mom.
Yeah! I'm glad you are doing the Fave 5! My youngest daughter has her very first violin recital at school in 2 weeks, before the Winter Recess Week. She has been practicing away. She takes lessons right at the school and is in the 4th grade Orchestra. That is great that your 6 yr old is reading...yeah!! Happy Friday to you and have a blessed weekend. I will lift up your mom in prayer.
Welcome to Fave Friday. Your list was full of meaning. I hope your mom is recovering well.
Reading is such a blessing - it opens up the whole world to us. I'm glad your children are enjoying it.
sorry to hear about the eye problems. I'll leave a note on her blog later.
There was only ONE of your fab five that didn't include family. but it did say that "everone's happy." ha ha
I'm glad you get to be with your aunt for her birthday - and it sounds like Mom gets to go. Is this her sister?
Your week and mine had the same result - "stuff", but finding good things anyway.
So sorry to hear about your mom's condition - that is hard to bear. My sweet MIL has MD and in spite of being no longer able to read, sew and knit (her 3 favorite hobbies), she has adjusted well. Really, it is hard to believe sometimes that she is legally blind. I hope your mom is able to adjust - or be healed!
it is good to count our blessings when we are having a 'bad week'. i love this idea!
What a blessing, too, to watch your girls grow and learn! It is a blessing, for sure, to be able to school your children at home. I did it for 20 years and wouldn't trade those years for anything!
Tammy,
There is absolutely nothing like being there when reading clicks with your child and they start reading fluently. I just love those moments! To me, it compares with their first words and first steps! I can't imagine not being there!
Allyson looks cute in her Gabriel costume! I bet it was good!
Great fav 5!
Have a great weekend!
Tammy
I was in Missionettes when I was a kid! Those are great memories!!
And I'm right with ya on number five. My kids are a little later in the reading area, too, but this week some things clicked and my son (who is also six) especially is really enjoying reading!
Tammy,
I'm so glad you like the button. I always try to make one for each of my friends when they celebrate their birthdays.
I'm so sorry to hear that your mother has Macular Degeneration. I will keep her in my prayers.
It is wonderful when a child discovers reading and the world of books. I'm glad your little one is coming along with her reading skills.
Take care, my friend and thanks once again for the kind words of love and support on the passing of Meeko.
Have a great week.
Blessings,
Mary
As I mentioned to you on Facebook, my mom has Macular Degeneration as well and it truly is a worry. She's got the added problem of having cataracts so her vision isn't the best at all. My prayers are with your mom.
Congratulations on receiving the well deserved award:-) No matter how bad of a week we can be having, our blogging friends can usually cheer us right up!!
Wonderful that your youngest is now starting to read so much better, such an exciting time in her life:-) xoxo
Post a Comment