Friday, January 02, 2009

Christmas Part 2


Finally...Part 2! I had meant to post yesterday but somehow it just didn't happen! Somehow all I wanted to do was be lazy....zzzzzzz

But first, I want to wish all of you a very Happy New Year!

Normally, we just watch movies and some of us snooze until midnight...but this year, we had some family over- and amazingly, we all stayed awake to blow horns and bang pans! (Well, except for little cousin Sammy...)

We're kind of all mixed around here...no one is sitting by their spouses....since some of us hurried over before the camera timer went off!

But let's go back in time...to the day after Christmas...


We went down and got my mom (who is 81) and she was able to stay two nights with us.
We opened presents, played games, watched movies...but I think her favorite time of all was singing with our new karaoke machine!

Now, my mom is an excellent singer...she has sung solos in church when she was younger and sang at my wedding...

And it was fun to hear her sing again! We even sang our traditional Silver Bells together and I had my husband videotape it. Maybe if I get brave, I'll share it with you later! ;)


When we drove her home, I was peppering her with questions...what was her favorite Christmas memory? Her favorite toy she received while growing up in the Depression?
I'm interested because she's my mom...but also because she is a living historian to our family and she holds memories that can be passed onto to us first hand.

It was truly a treasured time having her here.
Now, it's time to take down all the Christmas decorations. And though a part of me wants to organize and all...it's always SO sad for us to pack away the decorations and say good-bye to our beloved tree. The tree seems to become a member of our family!
Hmmm....maybe I'll leave it up just one more day...

So when do you usually put your tree and decorations away?

Wishing all of you a blessed New Year!

29 comments:

Susanne said...

What a great pic of your mom and daughter singing karoke together. She sounds like a fun lady!

I usually take my tree down on New Years Day but it didn't happen this year. So today it is. I've got all the boxes sitting here staring at me but what am I doing? Blogging, of course. LOL.

Looney Mom™ said...

How fun; a karaoke machine. We still don't have one of those.

I used to leave our Christmas decor up until the last day of Christmas which is Jan 6, but we are so cluttered and crowded that it came down the day after. Maybe someday in a bigger house we'll leave it up longer. *Wishful thinking*

Dawn said...

I usually have everything down by now, or long before. But most everything is still sitting there - I meant to do it yesterday and today, but now it's 9:00 and it's still not done. DC has been sick, I've had the kiddoes, I've been lazy, we got new windows put in today, so I couldn't really do it while they were spread out all over. All great excuses! I really do NOT like this part of the whole routine.

I love the pic of your mom singing - would love to hear your duet!

I MUST get to Part 2! Today my internet was down all day and I couldn't understand what was going on - finally Kristen suggested that it must be my wireless connection - suddenly the light came on in my head - everything had been moved for the window guys. DUH!!

Susannah said...

Your Karaoke looks like a lot of fun! Go Mom!

We still have a few of our decorations up. I usually take them down right after New Year's. I enjoyed the lights and bright colors so much during our snow-in, and it's hard to put them all away. :~D

.Tom Kapanka said...

Looks like your Christmas Break was very much like ours.
Hey, you know that picture at the top of the post below? We have that exact scene on a plate my Mom gave each of her kids many years ago. We put it up each Christmas. I'm looking at ours now. Cool!

Happy New Year!

Susan said...

I've been trying to change to saving "Blessed New Year" instead of "Happy New Year". I see you did, too.
Susan

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pictures! :o)

Happy New Year!

Trying to take the decorations down. I've just not been really motivated. Maybe I'll just hang some red and pink hearts on the tree...

Carole Burant said...

How wonderful to be able to bring in the new year with family:-) Look at all those smiling faces!!

I so loved seeing the pictures of your mom enjoying her time at your place. The one of her and your daughter singing with the karaoke machine is absolutely precious.

I usually take down the tree and decorations the day after new year but this time I took the decorations down a couple of days before but the tree stayed up until yesterday:-) It's always hard to let go of Christmas!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of your mom singing! What a precious memory that will be!

Kelli said...

Happy New Year to you and your family! Our tree is down but everything else is still up. I'll put things away slowly this week.
~Kelli

Pamela said...

I miss my mom. We sang together, too.

Happy New Year -- and get your pen busy writing your mom's stories.

someone else said...

Happy New Year, Tammy!

Momma Roar said...

Yes! Please post the video - I think it is so cool to get to know bloggers that way!

:-) I hope you are having a fantastic start to 2009!

Unknown said...

Tammy
The Tree goes up Thanksgiving Day and usualy goes down the day after Christmas but We left it up one extra day this year. I would leave it up longer but DH wants it down since he does it. I love your pictures of your Mom. Such Precious Moments we share. God Bless you and your family in the New Year.
Hugs, Lisa

Denise said...

I love love love the picture of your little Mom..... My mom sang in church for years but she has moved past that now, what I would give to have her in the middle of the floor singing! Thanks for sharing your NEW YEARS celebration !

Happy New Year girl !

Mandy said...

Looks like you had lots of fun with your mom! I wish I could hear some of her stories about growing up in the depression - I've always been interested in that time period.

We take our decorations down gradually the week after Christmas and yes, I hate to see them go!

Blessings,
Mandy

Ruth said...

My (fake Christmas tree is still up as are all my decorations. Because of my hand problems , i'm waiting unti tuesday when my friend comes to clean to help take them down. I'll probably take the ones down on the lower branches tomorrow & she can take the rest down when she comes. I had fun singing & hearing the little munchkins singing their songs from the performance I didn't get to go to.

Sandy said...

sounds like great fun tammy! what a treat to have your mom there too. happy new yr!

Dawn said...

Part II is finally up!

Dawn said...

Hey, Tammy, thanks for coming over already! I have since them posted a note that Kristen has a new one up - she'd love to have you visit!

gail@more than a song said...

Happy new year Tammy! Your karaoke machine looks like fun and how sweet for you to have a picture of your mom singing.
We usually have something at our house around new years so I try to take mine down right after that. I'm being slower this year b/c Don's hand hinders him from helping me much and I'm just taking my time about it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy! Your mama is just the cutest! I hope you DO post your Silver Bells rendition. That is the greatest picture of her singing karaoke. Love it!

As for my decorations. I have them down by the first of the year. We have a Jan 6th birthday in our family so we have always been careful to remove every vestige of Christmas celebration and replace it with birthday. It is always a temptation to wrap birthday presents in leftover Christmas paper but we never have.

Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

I like your header pic, beautiful!
(sorry i haven't been reading lately, out of the blogging loop)

Nadine said...

What a wonderful time with your mom. I'm sure you'll treasure it. I would be one of those interested in seeing the video. Please, pretty please.

I wish I could sing and love that others can.

I take down the decorations the day after New Year's.

Nancy said...

Your comments about your mom are so touching and the photos are priceless. It's great your kids get to enjoy time with her too... that is a blessing indeed!

Susan said...

I love the karaoke picture!! I am always amazed at the fun you have with your family...extended family. I learn so much from you.

Hugs,

:-) Susan

Jill said...

Happy New Year to you! Precious picture of your mom.

Carla said...

What a lovely time!!! How smart to ask your mom questions while you have her here, I waited to long to be interested in my elders lives. Our tree came all the way down Sunday night, but I still have the 'broken-needs-re-gluing' stuff to do. Maybe tomorrow....

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Aw, Tammy! That's so neat that your mom could be there with you all! She sure does look spunky! I would love to hear ya'll singing Silver Bells! I bet it's great! We love karoke too!

Would you believe my Christmas stuff is STILL up (and might not be coming down this weekend because my brother and his family are coming in this weekend for my mama's birthday)?

Blessings,
Tammy