Now, doesn't that sound fun? ;)
We had it all planned ... the girls would be staying with their uncle and aunt overnight tonight and my husband would take me out to dinner and then have a rare night of having the house to ourselves. Then we'd get the girls on Saturday- my actual birthday- and just have a nice relaxed time of cake, pizza and a few gifts.
But alas, my husband has to do inventory both today and in the morning...and on top of that, he has been sick all week with what's probably bronchitis.
He won't go to the doctor until inventory is over...and in the meantime, he is a coughing machine...not exactly a prime candidate for a romantic evening alone.
And now the girls are sneezing and coughing a little. Sigh...
When I first got up this morning, I felt a little discouraged.
And it doesn't help, I know, that my hormones are in overdrive this week...
Or that I am not excited about my new number. How in the world did I get to be this old, anyway...?
But when I was sitting with my girls on the sofa, where we usually start our day by praying together, I told them let's just talk to Jesus and tell him our feelings and then give everything to Him.
And so we did.
Amazing how God can grant peace when we seek Him in the midst of circumstances not going our way!
Oh, I know...you might be saying that these are not big problems at all. And you'd be right, compared to so many people who are dealing with real issues.
But God still understands even when we're simply feeling discouraged and a little sad. He wants us to come to Him in those times, and be real with Him.
And it's then when He gently puts t
hings into perspective.As my girls lovingly cuddled with me and we all purposely thought of happy, cheery thoughts for the morning, we began to start realizing all the things we had to be thankful for.
And suddenly it became so clear.
I felt so thankful for the love of my children...my husband...my family. They are the best earthly gifts I could ever hope to have...
And most of all, grateful that I have an understanding Heavenly Father that loves me...all the time.
So now, as I write this, I'm still uncertain of the weekend plans. (Although my sister in law graciously just e-mailed me to ask if she could host a small gathering at her house for me tomorrow night...so sweet!)
But I honestly feel like all of my well being doesn't hinge on whether my birthday goes perfectly as planned now.
Because I got a reality check... I'm SO BLESSED!!!








34 comments:
It truly boils down to how we view it doesn't it. Glad you got the rose colored glasses back on. When you do get that special date night - all to yourselves and healthy it will be great.
Susan
You are indeed blessed. My word for the year (I've never had one before) is flexible. I have decided to never plan anything ever again, because it almost always has to be changed.
We are all getting better around here - lots of germs being circulated.
Thank you for posting that reminder to me. I needed to hear that after the week I've had, been on my own pity pot for most of the day. Thanks for the much needed kick in the pants. :)
Many times it's the little things that make us or break us. And it's in those small trials that we practice turning to Him so we're prepared when the big trials come. That's a wonderful birthday lesson!
Have a WONDERFUL birthday!
I appreciate this post --
Happy birthday, Tammy. I have a feeling your day and evening will be very nice. And your poor husband probably feels really bad about the evening being spoiled, but what's worse is that he needs to see a doctor. Bronchitis is nothing to mess around with.
Happy, happy birthday. You're not nearly as old as you think you are. Trust me. This I know. :-)
That was a very special read. When we have that closeness with the Lord He is able to gently nudge us in the right direction and open our eyes to His wonderful blessings.
Happy Birthday, Tammy.
God bless your new year.
Brenda
Oh Tammy, It's OK to be disappointed. You were looking forward to a much deserved special time with your husband. It WILL come...
I've been meditating on Hebrews 6:12 this week: "We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.
I'm reminded that God answers our prayers and fulfills our needs, just not always in OUR timeframe. :~D
I look forward to hearing all about your big celebration. Meanwhile Happy Birthday!!!
God gently reminds me
Great post girl, great post.... Birthdays are just days...... I have another on coming up and I have long past worried about them.. After my scare a couple of years ago with a lump...... every day is such a gift..... I did enjoy reading about your blessings and I rejoice with you in them.........
Thank you so much for the comments so far...and the birthday wishes!
I will be posting again after this weekend, but I wanted to let you know that although my husband still has his cough, he came home feeling so much better and raring to take me out to dinner...and the girls sniffles and coughs dissipated and got to go to their uncle and aunt's after all...
Even if it hadn't worked out, I would have been OK...God reminded me of that.
But what an added blessing to be able to go out this evening anyway!
So very true. I have those pity parties sometimes too, Tammy! I had a real good one when I turned 40! However, when you put things into perspective, it sheds a whole new light on our lives, doesn't it? We are truly blessed! And since it is officially the 24th now, let me say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope everyone feels better and I hope you have a great day!
Many blessings to you!
Tammy
God bless! many happy returns of the day!
In America, we are blessed. More so than most places. It's good to stop and count our blessings.
Hope your family feels better soon.
Happy Birthday!
Crawling up on the lap of our Father seems to always put things in their rightful place. Yes, you are blessed and making that list helps to see each and every good gift send down from the Father above.
I've spent many birthdays feeling sorry for myself...what wasted time. I'm excited this year to be able to celebrate my birthday with Lindsey for the first time in about 7 years.
Enjoy all of the goodness flowing down on you from above and keep your great outlook. Even though your circumstances aren't as you had planned, you are still so worth celebrating by all of us.
Love this post.
Happy Birthday!
Tammy,
Remember, we are only as old as we feel. Numbers are meaningless. I am 59. Turning 50 didn't bother me, nor will turning 60 later this year. What did bother me and I don't know why, is turning 25. It could have been because my daughter was growing up and becoming more independent and it just made me feel like time was slipping away.
Glad you and the girls had that little chat with God. It works wonders to give him all of our problems.
Happy Birthday, my friend. It's going to be the best. I wish you good health and happiness in the coming year and many more wonderful birthdays.
Blessings,
Mary
PS. Please drop over to my Writing Nook. I've left you a little something in the top left sidebar.
Happy Birthday, my friend.
Perspective - if the Lord tarries - in 20 years you'll be 61 and I'll be 81!
Happy, happy birthday to you Tammy. It's disappointing when plans go awry but I hope your day is still super special.
I try not to think of what my number is. LOL. I just walk around in purposeful ignorance about that. LOL.
I think it's awesome how you are teaching your girls that everything about them is important to God not just huge major issues.
Happy Birthday Tammy. I pray that your day turns out wonderful.
Oops - I forgot - if I had read over again, I would have had the age right. Well, it's because I think of you as so much younger!! ;-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hoping you have a wonderful unexpected surprise of a birthday - even if it is not what you expected :)
Yes, you are very blessed. Whenever I'm having a bad day I always think about the things that have been good about the day....it always helps.
I hope Allyson can get a blog. It would like it if we could comment on each others' blogs.
Joy
Happy Birthday!
I have an award on my blog for you, if you'd like.
I hope your birthday and weekend turn out to be very special. And you are BLESSED. We are celebrating my step-daughter's birthday today. We didn't get to be with her on her actual birthday, and our extended families are so far away. Sometimes a little part of me wishes grandma and grandpa could be here just once on a special day. You're lucky to have lots of family nearby!
Happy, happy birthday to you!!
Happy Birthday, dear Tammy:-) Sometimes things don't turn out the way we want them to so it's good to still be able to see how blessed we are. I do hope your day turned out wonderfully!! xoxo
Happy Birthday Tammy!
Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you today and hope that your birthday is full of blessings.
xo
It was wonderful to talk to you this morning & have a chance to wish you a Happy Birthday. I am the one who received the wonderful birthday gift when you were born, you my precious baby who looked at me from on top of my now empty tummy, was there looking at me & I at you that day of your birth. You too have had the oportunuty to carry, not one but two precious litle girls. You have & will always be a joy to me. Happy Birthday daughter
Happy birthday dear Tammy! I so can relate to this post and you wrote it beautifully. When we get down over something life throws at us it's so uplifting to count our blessings! Remember that old song,
Count your blessings,
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings,
See what God has done.
Count your blessings,
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings
see what God has done!
Words may not be exactly right, the old memory isn't what it used to be but you get my meaning.
Take care! xoxo
Happy Birthday, I hope it was a good one! My husband is in New Orleans this week doing inventory!
Manuela
Happy birthday, Tammy! I have a picture of myself on the phone like that. Hope you ended up having a nice time with your husband.
What a great post! God is good all the time, and cares for the big and the not so big:) Happy Birthday to you Tammy!
And you cashed it! ;o)
Go God! \o/
Post a Comment