Monday, March 16, 2009

Home School Open House!



Welcome to the March edition of Home School Open House!


Today, I thought I'd simply show you a sampling of some of the curriculum we use.

We're kind of eclectic both in our home school methods and curriculum. What does that mean, exactly?

Well, for one thing, I don't go by strict lesson plans laid out by my curriculum...I pretty much decide our own lesson plans and schedule.

I don't even have a huge schedule made out like some of my home school friends, but I do usually have an agenda in my head of the general things I want to accomplish that week. (The exception would be with math, where I've marked the pages they need to do each day several weeks in advance. It's just seems to work best for us for this subject.)

Also, being eclectic in curriculum means that I pick and choose from various curriculum what we like best.


For example, I might love the math workbooks of Horizon, but prefer Bob Jones language arts.
(Which exactly happens to be true, in our case!)

As I show you some of our books, keep in mind that I'm only showing a fraction of what we have...(though we certainly don't cover every subject on a daily basis!) However, we usually do consistently do math, language arts or writing every day...so that's what I'll show you first...



I have to say, my six year old loves math quite a bit more than my fourth grader...who use to love math until this year when it got just a wee bit more complicated!



She does, however, like her English book quite a bit...

And today, these arrived from one of my favorite places, Christianbooks.com...

My girls actually get excited when new workbooks or textbooks arrive at our front door!

I'm looking forward to using the first one with both girls...learning about cells and molecules at a very beginning level (for ages 5-10) .
The second one was the same workbook about maps that my oldest used in first grade and loved.
The third book went along with all of the recent Oregon trail field trips we've been on, and at such a bargain price, I couldn't resist it!

And now- in keeping with my eclectic theme- I want to show you something totally different!
On a beautiful day clear back last May, we decided to go for a walk, keeping our eyes and ears out for neighborhood birds.
Then we followed it up by researching other types of birds on the internet...and then I took it even another step further by having them pick out a few of their favorites and drawing and labeling them. Since I knew they always love drawing about something they've just learned about, I try to encourage it from time to time.

Here's what my then just-turned-six year old drew:


In case you're unclear, they are the Violet Green Swallow, the Sapsucker, and the ever popular Northern Pulmar.
(And if you're not that familiar with all of them, don't worry...neither was I! Exploring things with my children is one of the things l love about home schooling!)

I hope you've enjoyed another peek into our home school. Please take a moment to check out any of the other participants, as well!

And since I have a few Irish ancestors in my family tree, I'd be amiss if I didn't end by wishing each of you a warm...


Blessings!

25 comments:

Mandy said...

We're eclectic too! I think most people are:)

We're having some 5th grade math woes, but we'll get it all figured out in our own time - that's the great thing about homeschooling!

Blessings,
Mandy

Dawn said...

Not about home schooling - thanks for coming over yesterday while I was gone. I feel for you! Kev cannot get a job, no matter how hard he tries. So many are in this scary position. I will add you guys to my list!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

We're most definitely eclectic too! And strict schedules aren't for more...I like to use them as a guideline to keep me on the right path, but we stray off the path (usually for fun stuff) along the way!

Your new book arrivals look great! I know they'll be fun!

Math is our least favorite subject around here too. I guess it doesn't matter the curriculum...as you move on up, it just gets harder! (We use Math-U-See).

I LOVE the nature drawings! I think they're great! That is one of my favorite things about homeschooling too....the freedom to explore and take nature walks when we want! We like to do the same thing and draw or write poems and take photographs when we go.

Thanks again Tammy for sponsoring this. I enjoy it!

Have a great Tuesday!

Hugs,
Tammy

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
Love the drawings your girls did..
4th grade math does introduce lots of new concepts. I know D is glad his
mom is a 4th grade teacher if he needs some extra help!!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
x

Mary said...

Tammy,

I enjoyed learning about the lessons you're teaching your children.

I posted a few writing tips for children. I hope they're something you can use.

Blessings,
Mary

Pamela said...

I saw Swallows on Friday and I was so excited.

Lovely drawings -- they need to be framed and displayed!!!

I have Irish in me ...at least my parents said so. But, I've never proven the fact. But I'm still in love with the idea.

retha said...

I like the idea of having an overall idea for learning.
Your girls have learned to see WHAT they are looking at. I am certain the same will be for what they think, because of how they were introduced to life.

green gables girl said...

Hi, Mommy!
I know, I DO NOT like math.
Although sometimes English is fun...

It's lots of fun learning with you! =D :)

Well, I got to go check out Mrs. Tammy's blog!

I love you!
Love, You know who! :)

Midlife Mom said...

Very interesting reading about what you do in home schooling and how you do it. I think the eclectic way is the best too, geared to what your children want and need to learn. We have friends that home schol their eight children and it never ceases to amaze me how that Mom is so organized and how the children are thriving.

Congratulations on being published! That is just so awesome and I am so happy for you!! I would have been shivering all over when that magazine arrived if I had been you! Good job!!!!

Linda said...

I love the flexability of doing school in time increments if I have to during a busy day and although I try to stay with the books I am realizing that eclectic is really fun for my 6 year old who hates reading. I did find some books that he was interested in instead of staying with the text. He seems to like it much better. I love coming to open house. Thanks for the posts.
Blessings,
Linda

Ruth said...

I enjoy reading the comments. I'm sure that Linda will find some books which will have a subject that will inteest her little guy & make him want to read about it. That is one of the advantages of Home School, because moms who know their children best, can provide the materials to help those interests to grow, where a teacher in school has teach the material & hope that it is presented in a way to interest all of the students.

Susan said...

Hey Tammy! Thanks for sharing. As you know I don't homeschool...but I thank you for the dilligence with which you approach it. Since teaching is my passion, I love to see it when a parent also gets passionate about teaching his or her child.

Hugs,

Susan

Faith said...

Love the bird drawings! thanks for a glimpse into your role as your children's teacher at home! I don't homeschool but I know several people who do. I do LOVE my teaching job tho and also love my time at home with my own daughters! I "homeschooled" them from toddler to prek days as well as sent them to a Christian academic preschool. sounds like you are doing an awesome job with your eclectic curriculum!! thanks for visiting my blog. I am slowly returning to it....have been busy with ministry, work and spring cleaning!

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

I do believe we are "eclectic", too! I'm sure mom would agree!

I love your style of homeschooling!

Love, Joy

Nadine said...

You make home schooling sound so much fun. I love the special "extras" you do with the girls.

Mother Mayhem said...

We are VERY eclectic. Finding things that work for Emily can sometimes be a challenge. I'm happy that our new home town has a Christian book store that sells homeschool books. :o)

I have 2 homeschool open house items to share!

Mother Mayhem said...

And I LOVE the bird drawings. Especially the Sapsucker! :o)

Unknown said...

My girl's still get excited over new work books.I enjoyed your Home School Open House.Sorry I haven't been by lately. I have a senior this year and preparing her for college is a full time job! Have a great weekend.
Lisa

Carla said...

Tammy, click here and check out this poster, it really made me think of you:
http://dutchgirlintexas.blogspot.com/2009/03/reasons-to-homeschool.html

Nancy said...

You are so lucky to have such great resources to work with. I admire you for home schooling...go MOM!

momtofivekids said...

Thanks for visiting my blog-very nice to "meet" you! I love the pictures. I love homeschooling!

Tara said...

Hey Tammy....i just got your comment from my blog about Cherish Bound business...can you email me? tarabrown at cherishbound dot com so i can give you some details offline :O)

groovyoldlady said...

We're also eclectic and flexible. We dropped school this past week to jump in the car and race to a friend's farm to watch baby goats being born. Very cool!

Momma Roar said...

Great drawings!!!

I love that somedays we just don't know what we are in for until the kids spy something that intrigues them!! We are sporadic in some of our choices too - while we do a unit study curriculum, I can't help but add in other things I love as well. Plus, our curric. doesn't include math and phonics - which I am so happy about as I'm super pleased with ours!!!

Fun to see what you use!

Irma said...

Thanks for sharing, I just cannot wait to start homeschooling my son! Although we've already taught him his shapes, colors and numbers, and now we're having fun with the alphabet! So I guess we're homeschooling already ;)

I know it will be a challenge picking out a curriculum. I went to Mardel a couple of weeks ago and was so overwhelmed by all their homeschool stuff! I'm not sure if I'll end up 'eclectic' too, we'll see!