Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Nammy's" Birthday Surprise



I am finally making it a point to sit down and post after another busy week...

Well, at least the first half was busy, I should say. But the past couple days we've all been resting at home (my youngest recuperating from a 24 hr bug which hit her Thursday night.)

But I just looked at bloglines and I can see that I'm not only behind in posting, but very behind in reading most of your posts! I'll try to catch up as I can, so bear with me!

But first of all, Happy Spring!



I promised to tell you the mystery destination that my girls and I took my mom for her birthday...
My Alma Mater was putting on the play, "Little Women" and knowing how much my mom- all of us, really- love that story, I knew it was the perfect surprise treat!

Sure enough, she was delighted!
(Here she's opening the flyer for it...)



And I have to say, the production was SO well done and professional...with the spotlight on the humor in the story.
Each main character was so perfectly cast...

Here my and girls are with two of the cast members after they changed out of their hoop skirts to mingle with the crowd...

"Little Women" seemed to be the perfect play that could be enjoyed by all of us, in spite of our generational differences.
My nine year old has read a "condensed" version of the book, and in a few years she will probably read the unabridged version...with the very copy I read from in my early teens!



It was also fun just to be at my old college again...so much of it was the same, but yet a lot had changed for the better.

Earlier that day, the sun was out so we stopped by a local playground so that the girls could run around a bit. They are so impressed with the country feel of the neighborhood...a pasture and everything! ;)

Although we had to rush back the following morning because the girls had a special choir practice, we agreed that it was a fun "Girls Night Out" birthday celebration for all of us!

We're not going to take this particular week off...since there's a lot of rain in our forecast we're going to keep doing the school work and wait for the sunshine to have a break! :)

But whether you're enjoying spring vacation or working away this week, I hope it's a good one for each of you!

Blessings!


15 comments:

Susie said...

I always loved that book! So glad you got to spend such an enjoyable time with your Mom and what fun to go back to your college campus!
Great pictures..
xoxo

Susan said...

What a lovely surprise for your mom's BD surprise.
Susan

Brenda said...

How neat that the timing was perfect for you mom.
I can't wait to read Little Women aloud to Grace (we'll be reading the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables for awhile).
Happy Spring to ya!

Ruth said...

It was a great Birthday & lovely surprise. I have always been an avid reader & have read some of Louisa May Alcotts other books but "Litle Womanen has remained my favorite. I also love L.M. Montgomery's books especially Anne Of Green Gables, remaining the one I liked best of hers. I read the Anne series & some of her other books as well.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

What a wonderful idea! We love Little Woman too (with four girls how couldn't we:). Corinn read the condensed version herself:).

We have lots of activities planned this week...being our Spring Break here:). Your girls should get a few post cards;).

groovyoldlady said...

What a great gift idea!

We're taking the girlies to a production of Beauty and the Beast in early April. One of their best friends was cast as the salt shaker, so we're really looking forward to it!

Barb said...

Oh, what fun, Tammy. I love Little Women too. I can't blame you one bit for waiting for sunny weather to take your break.

Happy spring to you and your girls. :-)

Dawn said...

What fun! I would love to see a good performance of those stories.

It's nice that you get to choose your own spring break. We had a beautiful weather week for ours. Unfortunately, as I shared in my latest post, Kristen's on line faculty continued to pour on the work, even though it was the college's official break. Not fair!! And now there's more and more to do this week.

Have a great week!

Mary said...

Tammy,

Wish your Mom a belated Happy Birthday from Ontario. I'm sure she enjoyed her gift.

Your girls are beautiful and I'm glad they are enjoying the warmer temperatures. Though chilly, the boys enjoyed their March Break.

Just letting you know I mailed your daughters' package today. It should be there in about a week or so.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary

Tammy said...

Wow, it looks like there's not too many Little Women fans??

Or maybe everyone's just busy at the big blog party going on this week across blogland...;)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tammy,

What a sweet and thoughtful surprise to give your mother! And it's really strange that we have been thinking along the same lines...Little Women...that is. As a matter of fact, Joy did a post on it a day or two ago, I believe. Over the past few weeks, we have watched 3 different versions of Little Women and Joy also has read the abridged version, but not the unabridged. We LOVE this book and movie...but our favorite version is the 1994 one with Winona Ryder. Usually, the newest ones aren't my favorite in most movies, but in this case, it is.

We're having somewhat of a Spring Break (at least until dad goes back to work on Thursday)! :)

Have a great rest of the week!
Tammy

Mother Mayhem said...

AWESOME! What a thoughtful gift for your Mom. Glad she had a good birthday! LOVE the pictures! :o)

gail@more than a song said...

What a fun surprise for your mom and I bet y'all had a blast! In the picture your daughter looks so excited for your mom to get the surprise, that's so sweet.
I'm a bit behind too and trying to catch up. Hope y'all are having a good week.

Carla said...

What fun! Blessings to you and yours:)

Carole Burant said...

I remember the first time I read that book and then watched the movie...loved it so much, I bought the dvd and have watched it a few times now:-) Such a perfect surprise for your mom's birthday outing, no doubt she enjoyed herself tremendously and of course it's always fun to meet some of the actors afterwards!!

I wish I could say that Spring has arrived in my little corner of the world but we still have tons of snow here. It's slowly melting but still lots to go. It was hard coming back home after Niagara Falls because they have no snow left there! lol xoxo