
Today for Show and Tell Friday, I wanted to show you something I actually forgot that I had! I was going through my closet last weekend, and among my old vintage magazines, I found an actual newspaper from 1918!
Here is a close up of the date...
I am embarrassed to say it had been just tossed among them, only protected within a little plastic bag...not good!
Before I had kids, one of my favorite pastimes was browsing antique stores...and I must have bought this ...and in the busy days of motherhood which followed, completely forgot about it -much less to protect it!
Shame on this lover of antiques and all things historic!
Just think about it a moment...this is the actual newspaper from WWI...before WWII, before the Depression, or even before the roaring 20's!
But once I saw it again, I hazily remembered it...and that is was already pretty tattered when I bought it. But now that I've come across it again, I am going to do my best to preserve it! (I went on the internet that very day to research the best ways to store it...acid free envelope within an acid free box.)
That evening, my husband and I carefully and delicately looked it over...reading a few of the articles and advertisements...
To read and touch this actual newspaper that was held in someone's hands during this phase of history...seeing imagery we had learned about in school or on television, only this time presented as "happening now" was like stepping into a time machine. And amazing to see all of the advertisements along side the news of war...
Looks like you could get some real deals on "georgette wastes" or a corsette at the Bon Marche bargain basement! But then again, I'm partial to The Bon... I met my husband in front of the store on our first blind date...but that's a different story.
And era!
The ad above is harder to see (you may be able to click for details) but it looks like if you stepped out of the basement, they were having a regular "Silk Week" as well at the Bon!Isn't it incredible to see these 1918 fashions...a time when clothing styles were changing so quickly. Only a couple years later and the flappers would take over the clothing industry...but in this year it was in that "in between" stage.
My husband and I were both transfixed as we sat together with this 91 year old newspaper declaring the "German Armies Retreating".
Amazing... And yet, reading this paper of a completely foreign time to us made us also aware that people were inherently the same then as they are now.
"History would be an impossible area of human reflection if there were no recurrent attributes of human nature." Willson H. Coates
For more Show and Tells, please visit There is No Place Like Home hosted by Kelli!








33 comments:
I enjoy looking at old newspapers. A friend of mine was tearing up so old flooring and found old newspapers underneath it. I don't recall the year but I remember reading that rent was only $3.00 a week. They even had cars listed that are no longer made. Studabaker?
Brenda
What a great treasure!!!!!
Mine is posted....Birthday boys, teenage, elves and such....oh my!!!
Come on over and say howdy! You know, I do love your company! Happy Friday.
Very interesting to go back in time like that. I actually was surprised the dresses were as much as they were back then.
I love reading this type of stuff. It's interesting to see the contrast of then and now huh? I would frame that so it stays nice. Have a good day
Gina Jo
Those are really interesting. I have some old magazines at home. Good idea to post them! Thank you for sharing!
Three cheers for silk week!
You've got an interesting piece of history. Thanks for sharing. Happy Show and Tell Friday.
Wow, what a treature. Thanks for sharing.
Teresa
I love this post. I have several old newspapers myself...from the 60's that are very precious to me.
What a find! Will you be sharing this with your homeschool girls? Have a great weekend!
This is fabulous Tammy. It has special meaning indeed with what our country and world are facing at the current time. So glad you re-discovered it and shared it here with us.
Susan
Oh, this was so interesting to me. I would love to look at that! I bet you guys really enjoyed it! What a cool find....for the second time!
Elaine :)
This is Priceless!!!! I am glad you found a way to preserve it!!!! Thanks for sharing, You know, we just never know whats hiding in those drawers that we put away and forgot. I think I need to check some of mine. I might even look in some old trunks in my barn. Great post.
Sue
This is so interesting. I love looking at old newspapers, especially the ads. It's always interesting to see how things were different, and as you said, how people were the same as today also! Thank you for sharing.
Tammy,
What an awesome read this must be. I love the hats, especially the ones with the wide brims. The prices are fantastic, but were probably expensive in that day.
Imagine buying a taffeta dress in navy or black for $14.95. I dislike taffeta because it has to be ironed. Back then, they would have used flat irons, which would have been quite a feat. Taffeta scorches easily.
Thanks for the walk back in time. I enjoyed it. I'm glad you're going to place it in acid free containers to keep it well preserved. There's not many newspapers around from those days.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to get to the post office this week. I've been in quite a lot of pain. Please give your daughter my apologies. The parcel is ready to go and if I can't get it out soon, I will ask hubby to do it.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Mary
This is so interesting...I love old newspapers...great treasure!
Blessings,
Susie
What a great piece of history right in your hands!
Amazing!!:)
Linda C
Oh that is amazing! I love history and anything vintage! Thanks for sharing it!
What a treasure! I am glad you found it. I have some newspapers in plastic bags that are from historic occasions in my lifetime that could at some point be important to my future family members - I need to find a better way to preserve them!
Absolutely amazing. And YOU are amazing to have collected this. Wow. Thanks for showing us and telling us... :~D
Hm. May need to take a trip to that specialty corset shop...
Incredible! It's amazing as you think of all the time and events that have happened since then. What a treasure it is. Thanks for sharing it!
That was really neat, Tammy. What caught my eye from the silks page was the article about "Correct Corseting Essential to War Workers". Very interesting. LOL.
Wonderful treasure you shared!
That's wonderful, Tammy! I love reading old newspapers and magazines. What a treasure.
Mandy
Oh Tammy, that is so awesome! That paper just gave me goose bumps! How neat to hold that paper in your hands and know that you're holding a piece of history and that someone else held it during that time period! And yes, I'm sure it makes you aware that people are really no different, and history has a way of repeating itself sometimes too. I've found that people are the same while reading so many of our biographies and historical fictions. I'm glad you're preserving it! What a treasure you have!
And I had already left you a comment on the Anne post. I went back to make sure it actually posted and it's there! I loved those paper dolls and Joy squealed when she saw them!
Have a great Saturday, Tammy!
The-other-Tammy-that-would-love-to-have-a-1917-newspaper!
Oops...I mean 1918 newspaper!
Tammy
How fun! It's fascinating to read what was being printed way back then. I have a few old newspapers too but not as old as yours.
I remember my grandma called a blouse a waist, and she wore one of those awful corset contraptions too. Bless her!
What a fantastic piece of history! Fascinating!
What a wonderful treasure...you must been excited to discover it again!
~Kelli
Tammy that's so awesome. A paper that old - how cool to look inside and see all the bargains (to us now). It looks in great shape too.
Hello dear Tammy:-)
I'm back from my trip and now catching up with everyone. Before I forget, please tell your daughter that I did try to visit her blog before I left to thank her for leaving a comment on my Maud post but her blog is private so I couldn't get in! I just don't want her to think that I didn't want to visit her! lol
Love the vintage newspaper you shared for Show & Tell. Isn't it unbelievable what we can have in our possession and yet not know it? lol Glad you found it again:-) I love reading old papers like that and the ads are so fun as well. Funny also to think of prices being so low but then the income wasn't as high as it is now! Wonderful treasure to have. xoxo
Hi Tammy! This is what we can call priceless! Love antiques too, in fact, my mom has a book that my grandpa wrote all the birthdates and expenses they had back in the 1920's and 30's. I think your daughter just visited me! How sweet, I started reading her profile, 9 year-old girl, but I can't read her blog, it is not open to the general public (me, heheh) tell her I said hello please! I think she'll have fun with my recipes too. xoxoxo
what an awesome find! and you found it twice! cool! seriously, it must be neat to read that paper now, knowing all you know about the events in our world since then. i like the ads, too, that's amazing to compare to now. thanks for sharing this - really interesting!
There is always room for you in The Shadow of the Cross. Feel free to visit anytime.
Post a Comment