
Today is my first-born's seventh birthday and only two hours ago, her little, sweet, silly, noisy, adorable friends left, leaving me a chance to catch my breath. Only for a moment though...we're heading out for more family birthday fun in a few minutes!
Let me just say that the preparations (cleaning, planning, decorating) we're by far the hardest part of this endevour. Having our first slumber party was surprisingly pain-free and full of lots of laughter, fun, and only a few (Okay 30) "Go to sleep now, girls" bellowed from dainty self from the top of the stairs.
We ranged from my youngest daughter, who is four and had to be a part of it all...to age nine. Some were seasoned "overnighters", others not so much. But with only a few minor squabbles that lasted only seconds, everyone seemed to have a great time.
Our party was an Angelina\ballet theme, so after a crown-decorating craft, a rousing game of pin the tutu on Angelina (which produced hysterical fits of laughter) cake, presents and an Angelina movie, you'd think all of the little ballerinas would be tuckered out by bedtime and ready for the real slumbering to begin. But I was a girl once, so I was prepared. On the other hand, I'm now a tired old mom who was feeling the effect of all the work leading up to this, and ready for blessed sleep. I let them giggle only for so long (the girl in me saying to let them have their fun) before the tired old mom started shusshing. (Is that a word?)
Some of you moms (and dads) have already been there, done that and are now seasoned slumber party parents. But I feel as though I just went though some kind of rite of passage along with my daughter...I planned my first slumber-birthday party and came out the other end...a little tired, sleep-deprived, a little stiff and sore...but alive and well.
An interesting thing about my husband...he had had a hard, tiring day at work so I didn't really expect him to participate too much...especially since it was a "girlie" party. But to my surprise, he not only helped, but seemed to be having a great time...especially during the Pin the Tutu game, as you'll see from this picture! I think he was actually the life of the party! :)
Most of all, when I remember of the look of pure happiness that radiated from my little girl's face during all the festivities, it honestly makes every ounce of extra work completely worth it. She was glowing and it gave me such satisfaction to be able to make this happen. And though I'm sure they'll be many more slumber parties in the years to come with two daughters in the household, I think our family will always remember this one as being special.
As I write this, my family is back from Burger King and it's time for the next adventure of the day. But now that the slumber party is officially over, guess what my own little ballerinas are doing? Yep, you got it...they're in the car...slumbering.








3 comments:
I wish that I could have been there to join in all the festivies, but the fact that this was a freeway packed with holiday travelers was too much for this old Nammy to take the drive much as I wanted to be there.
It was good however to get to talk to my oldest granddaughter & wish her a Happy Birthday. It was also great to get to see the pictures of this milestone event. Not quite the same as being there, but it helps.
ruth
That is so sweet. I haven't had the slumber party yet, but we have had one friend over at a time. You're lucky that you only had laughs and no tears--I think that comes with the jr. high sleepovers. I sure remember that from growing up.
Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.
Sounds like there are many more wonderful all nighters in your future. Glad fun was had by all. It's all in the planning don't you think?
Just called a sleep over (vs. slumber party) with boys I guess? But yes, I still remember the very first one. Our oldest was turning 9, a boy, and wanted to have the party that never ends and fit everything possible into those hours. I remember trying to trim the guest list (boys from church, boys from school, boys from family...) Church and family friends were fine, gotta have them, but all those school boys? (I was homeroom Mom at the time) I remember my last thought as I sent each of them an invite (how to leave anyone out?)"surely, they won't all come"
wrong. oh so wrong. every church boy, (4 total) and every school boy (14 total!) came. Family sat this one out thankfully.
I opted to ease the burden and mess to my house (which we had just moved into months earlier) by taking everyone out to dinner. Great deal. 3 kid meal options. Nicer restauant so some restraint on behavior was in place. Lots of balloons and fun favors. Restaurant did nice cake and even ice cream and we left with every crumb/spill in place for someone else to clean up!
Back at house, the decorations were all in place and games ready to be played when we arrived. Hubby was great with this. Later when we thought they all might be getting tired we began the 1st of a 3 movies series (Back to the Future ~ kind of dates me now doesn't it?) Popcorn and clear caffeine free/sugar free soda were the only snack offered. Worked like a charm on all but one child. Nothing worked on that one. Finally at 3am, many long hours after everyone else was asleep, a verbal warning from my husband about calling his parents to come right then took effect. Yikes! Do you know the pick up time was to be 11am and all the children were gone long before then except our 3am boy? His Dad showed up around noon with no explanation at all.
Yup, you always remember the first one I guess.
I now have 6 children and 2 are girls. The 11 year old girl is the sleepover queen. Loves to invite her friends and do crafts and eat exotic food and talk forever, so sweet and cute to watch. Hawaian themes have been the best and you know what? Hubby is still the biggest help of all. I plan and purchase and decorate and invite and then he seems to take over once kids are here. I love it!
Best sleep inducer over the years has been a book! Themed to the party and when all else is winding down. Kids love the attention and love that someone would read to them when they surely could read it themsleves! Has knocked more than one (I'm gonna stay up all night)kid out!
Enjoy every moment.
Post a Comment