Friday, July 07, 2006

Simple Summer Moments


We're having a lazy summer week...after a busy June of Vacation Bible School, swimming and tumbling classes...and of course, the slumber party... the girls and I are kicking back a bit and taking it easy. And although we still have the tumbling and swimming classes to finish, we're honestly going to be slowing down a bit, hoping to capture those "simple summer moments".
After all, isn't that what many of us remember with the most sweetness from our own childhood? Oh, if we were lucky enough to go on an incredible family vacation with our parents, we usually still remember the excitement we felt...maybe picnicking by the Grand Canyon, a rollercoaster ride...or maybe it was shaking hands with Minnie Mouse at Disneyland. (By the way, I did all of the above, but this list didn't even start until the ripe old age of 14...and wasn't completed until I was 32!)
But the memories that are the most treasured about summer for me- and I suspect many of you- are the ones when I found myself outside...with no particular plan, no agenda...not even a "play date" written on my mom's calendar in pencil. Just the soft breeze blowing while I played either with a neighbor or simply all by myself...letting my imagination soar.

Now believe me, I am not at all sorry for our tumbling classes...and learning to swim is not just fun- it's kind of important! As for play dates, well, it's pretty hard to get around relying on those in this busy day and age, so I make them as much as the next mommy. But I think balance is the key...making sure our kids just have time to just be a kid...to play, to invent, to explore.

As a new home school mom, I can tell you that this has been a challenge, I'll be honest. I always want to "direct" activities and hopefully give them an educational slant...after all, isn't that what a good home school mom always has to do? But although making learning fun is the goal, I can't forget to let them have undirected playtime, as well. Again, balance is what is needed here, I think. So I'm learning...yes, I'm the one learning...and remembering what it was like to be child.

So...we're going to enjoy impromptu sprinkler days on hot, sultry days this summer and have fun drawing crazy pictures on the sidewalk (as seen above, the picture taken just hours ago!) And yes, I'm even going to let them make up non-sense stories with all their My Little Ponies- even though there is no actual educational benefit that I know of- while I write on the computer...like right now.
Oh wait...there is a bit of educational topic to be found with their current play. Social graces. My oldest just announced,
"Pretend we didn't care if the house was messy when we knocked on each other's door..."
Okay, guess that's my cue to go wash the counters...

11 comments:

Jana said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!

After four years of homeschooling, I am still trying to find that perfect balance. I actually don't think it exists. But I do take time off from "official" schooling in summer so the kids can just learn on their own. I have to say, I never hear my kids say they're bored!

Anonymous said...

I am still deciding what to do on my baby's education. Ok, so he's only 10 months right now but eventually he'll be in school. Glad you enjoy home schooling.

Leslie said...

Hi Tammy,
I don't think you can pick a better place than Oregon for summer. If I lived in Oregon, I'd never ever go out of the state for vacation. My brother and his wife live in Bend and we think it is just beautiful.

momof3busyboys said...

Summer is a great time for children to learn and have fun! And made up stories are great for helping children express themselves! It sounds like your daughters are learning alot! Keep up the great work!

Beck said...

I think making up silly stories with My Little Pony has a lot of educational benefits - a good imagination is a necessary starting point for most worthwhile endeavours! I'm all with you for unscheduled summer time... excellent post!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Tammy said...

Thank you for the replies...and yes, in all honesty, I remember from the early childhood ed classes I took years ago that imaginative play is very educational! :) I guess it's nice to not have to put every fun summer thing into a "learning box" though...if that makes sense. And even as adults, we need to be able to have our relaxing times - those times that are spontaneous and don't serve a planned purpose! Especially in summer...;)
Oh, and Leslie...yes, I have to agree about Oregon. It's great in the summer! Thanks for stopping by!

ruth said...

Summertime is a time for fun. I used to rollerskate ( I had a pair of the old type adjusted with a skate key. I skated on sidewalks & there was a nice parking lot of a business close by, for saturday skating when they were closed. There were lots of other simple type things we did in "The Good Old Days"
ruth

Staci said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. I've enjoyed the few posts of yours I've had a chance to read so far! As for summer fun, I'm right with you on the unscheduled fun time for the kids and adults. I struggle with trying to fill the part-time I get to stay home with my girls with educational activities versus just being with them while they play. It's hard to find a balance, but very important. Especially when the weather is gorgeous and calling us outdoors! My favorite memories are definitely the ones of just hanging out in my neighborhood on lazy days.

Anonymous said...

I like your comment about balance. I have so many memories of long,hot, simple summer days - and although I may have complained about them I think that those days of "boredom" are the sweetest, carefree, childhood days that I remember - with absolutely nothing to do but stare at the white puffy clouds and see shapes - or throw stones in the brook - or see how long your ice-cream cone could last...

happy days

Roberta said...

Hi Tammy~
I blog-hopped from Islandsparrow, and just wanted to leave a comment. We have a few things in common...homeschooling, E.C.E. classes, and we just came back from a trip to Oregon. I grew up there and we moved from the East-side of Portland (I too am not a city girl) to Idaho. I really miss the green!!! and family and friends too! :)

Anonymous said...

thank you for the comment you left in my blog. that is so sweet. i really appreciate it. thanks for saying a prayer for me too. God bless you. :)