
The girls and I are heading down to the Salem area today, to spend the night with my their nammy. My mom is 79...it's so hard for me to believe that, and harder yet for her to believe.
You see, all the women in my family tend to have their children later in life. Not by plan, it is just how life has worked out for each of us.
A little history...My grandmother lost her first husband in one of the great epidemics of the early century, leaving her a widow with a son. She remarried, and had two daughters at age 39 and 41...one of them, being my mom.
My mom, in turn, did not meet her Mr. Right until age 30...which by today's standards is not that late but in the 1950's was considered quite tardy. I didn't come along until about six years later- her one and only.
And then there's me...who also didn't find her Mr. Right until age 30 and also didn't have my first baby until age 36...and the second at age 39.
And since my husband's parents have passed away, my children have just one grandparent- their beloved Nammy. Nammy may be slow getting around but she has a lot of love to give- and my girls adore her. And when all of us gals get together, we are indeed, separated by a great length in years from youngest to oldest. And yet...we're all connected by that bond...that bond of femaleness and genes that is undeniable.

My mom is hoping to sell her house this year and move closer to us. It's a big transition, and I as her only child will be doing all I can. But it's challenging...I am part of the "sandwhich generation"...someone who's parent is becoming elderly while her children are still young and dependent. I know I'm not the only one in this situation...I've met a few others who are dealing with helping generations on both ends, while their sandwiched neatly in-between.
In spite of the challenges, though, I am so thankful! Thankful that my mom is still alive and well and can know my little girls- and that they can know her. And the plus side of having a grandmother so well seasoned in life, is that she is a grand source of living history and stories that she can hand down to us. I joked in my last post of other parents with kids my age thinking I am a piece of history...but my mom truly is! Born in the 20's and raised in the Depression...a teen during WWII who planted victory gardens and shopped with ration coupons... she has seen so many changes in our world and we can learn so much from her.
So...we are off to see Nammy today. And though the years ahead may bring many challenges to me with my two generations, I am SO grateful to the Lord for giving me "the bread on both ends".
(Please visit my mom's blog on the link to the right- Grandmothersmusings.)








13 comments:
thanks for sharing that, and i love the picture
Is that picture of you and your mom? How wonderful that she'll soon be closer to you! Your daughters will be blessed by seeing your love for your mother demonstrated in practical ways.
That is so touching! I'm glad you are here today with my precious little munchkins. I in turn, learn so much from you as we walk together in our life's journey.I wish your dad could have known your husband & two little girls. He would have enjoyed them as much as I do.
ruth
Have you read Lisa Samson's CLUB SANDWICH? It's a great read about a mom caring for kids and aging parents.
How wonderful for your little girls to get to know their grandmother. I am very close with my grandmother, who just moved out here from Denver a few weeks ago to be near us. There is something so special between Grandmas and Granddaughters.
So tender...I have never heard of the sandwich generation, but this was such a great look at the particular challenges you face both as a daughter and mother. How wonderful that you and your mom will be closer. And you are right - it is such a wonderful blessing for girls to know their grandmother. I've been working on writing my grandma's life story for about a year now and it thrills me to talk with her about her youth and early married years, and I so treasure my relationship with her, as it has been such a huge influence in my own life. Best wishes in helping with the move and changes ahead. Treasure every moment - even the blops of mustard that drip out of the squished sandwich sometimes.. :)
At one time I felt like a member of what I called the "club sandwich generation." I was caring for my dad and stepmom (even though they were in assisted living -I was still there everyday) and keeping my granddaughter during the day. The difference between sandwich and club was that there was another layer to help out - my daughter. It was challenging at times.
What a wonderful story. How awesome that you treasure her and the wisdom she can share with you and your girls!
Yes, that is me as a toddler with my mom in the first pic...and the second picture was this spring on Grandparent's Day at my four year old's preschool. It's one of my favorite photos of "we three generations".
By the way, we are now home today after the four of us spent a really good time...talking, watching a movie...and this morning we even went to the county fair. We all stood face to face with a Texan Longhorn...incredible! But mostly we enjoyed our special bond and our "girl time". (Because no matter how old women become, we're stil girls at heart!)
Thank you for sweet replies...
~Tammy
What a blessing that your mom will move closer to you and your kids! I hope that your visit goes well!
Hi there. I was just blog hopping my way through the "Ladies of Fellowship" webring and landed here.
Lovely picture. My hubby is part of that "sandwich generation" too. It's not easy.
Come by and visit me anytime.
Hi Tammy...thanks for stopping by my blog with your encouraging comments yesterday. I followed your introduction and met your mother's blog too. What treasures you both are! I look foward to coming back to read more.
Hi Tammy I just keep meeting all these incredible people who so understand me! How cool is that? Your Mom looks great for nearly 80 and what a treasure to still have her for both you and your girls.
We still have both my folks and my husbands folks but no guarentees on for how much longer so it is always a mixed bag of emotions as I try to "be there" for them, glean from their wisdom, and still have enough left to raise my own (the ones at home are nearly 14,
just 11, 3 1/2 and 15 months).
The sandwhich club huh? Like that.
Post a Comment