
Has it really been four days since my last post? Well, perhaps it was because I was delibrately trying to keep myself from this new blogging habit as much as humanly possible so that I could take advantage of my "alone time". But it wasn't easy! I kept coming back... replying a lot... and lurking even more.
And now that the time is over, here is what happend:
I found that I accomplished just little molecules of eveything on my list...story writing, scrapbooking, reading on my deck...oh, and house cleaning. And I did have some uninterruped time reading God's Word, which as all moms know, can be a luxury in itself. My mom drove up to spend one night, too, so I wasn't with complete solitude the whole time. (Read: Didn't resort to walking around the house and mumbling to myself...at least not too much.)
All in all, I have to say that I enjoyed my mommy vacation. A lot. It was like a balm to this tired homeschooling mom, who has spent the last year teaching, chauffering, cooking cleaning and waiting on family. Not that I haven't enjoyed many of those jobs, but as with all jobs, we all need a break now and then...and time just to hear ourselves think.
But... when the three days were over, I found myself continuously looking at the clock, excitedly awaiting my family's return. In the early evening, I was outside reading when I heard the door open. I came in to see my husband put our sleeping four year old on the futon...oh, how I longed to hold her! After giving hubby a kiss, he went to unload the car and before my oldest came in, I found myself sitting next to my sleeping child, just watching her... I gave her a kiss on the forehead and she slept on. My heart was putty just at the sight of her again, and my strong emotions frankly surprised me a bit.
Then my seven year old came in looking very sunkissed and we spent the remainder of the evening cuddling on the sofa while she told me all about the trip. I couldn't stop hugging her!
Oh...and yes, I missed my husband too. But between the long drive, unloading the car, and being the sole parent for three days, he was pretty much done for. After a half-hearted hug, he trudged up the stairs to bed. Ahh, well.
As for their adventure, they all assured me it was great fun. Except for the drive over there. My littlest hadn't eaten much and on the curvatious twist and turns toward the coast, became carsick for the very first time. Hubby, in his quick thinking, handed her the sand pail, where she compliantly tossed her cookies, or lack thereof, into the waiting vessel. She was fine for the rest of their campout (and hopefully, they scoured the pail before filling it up with sand.)
On a better note, they unexpectantly ran into some friends of ours from the home school group and the girls all spent lots of fun hours playing together at the beach.
I wish I could post a wonderful shot of my family's adventure, but sadly, the memory card wasn't placed back into the digital camera they brought...so we are awaiting the old-fashioned film to be developed from my daughter's $5 instamatic. Still, I know the memories they made were wonderful and exciting... I can tell by the tiny little shells I found this morning, and by the sand in the carpet and the scent of campfire smoke on their clothes.
A good time was had by all. Including me. But wow...am I ever glad their back!








12 comments:
I remember the feelings so well of the overwhelming responsability of that which goes into the day by caring of little ones, but also the strong sense of missing them, when for some reason they are absent from your sight. In your case being my only child, you were rarely gone from my sight, but those times, especially when you experienced difficulties after your tonsilectomy, were heart wrenching to me. I always wanted you close to me, to cuddle & enjoy, and bring sunshine to my day.
ruth
Glad they had a good time, and that they made it home safely! *Smile*
I know how you feel. I've had a few times when I was without the kids for a day or two, and even though I enjoyed myself I really looked forward to having everyone home again :)
sounds like you had a nice break and it's always nice when you can check off bits of your "to-do" list! I also get car sickness when traveling curvy, twisty roads, so I feel for your daughter!
Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!
Four days without them is a lot. I would have been watching the clock too. And one of my favorite smells is campfire smoke in your hair and clothes. Glad everyone's back home and you're all together again.
That's so cool. Now back to reality! Oh well...
Actually, it was just three days\two nights...I had mistakenly thought it had been four days since posting!
Ahhh, mom, that comment was so sweet. (And I remember that tonsils time at age five!)
And I love the smell of campfire smoke, too...except when it lingers in my own hair for like five days...;)
Glad you "refreshed" yourself and that your family is home safe and sound!
Jennifer
I will be looking forward to seeing scanned pictures of the trip! Hopefully!
What a great time! But who had a better time is the real question?
And isn't it wonderul that it's true...absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I am looking forward to the day when my husband takes both kids camping. He does take my son, but not my daughter (I wouldn't do it alone either--especially with her :) ) But I do get a few hours here and there and I'm always glad to see the kids again.
I did a mommy vacation a couple of weeks ago, just got up one day and went... with the kids of course. It was tough without hubby, doing it all on my own. I was finally able to relax on the day we were leaving! Now I could use a "real" mommy vacation, where just mommy gets away!
Post a Comment