Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Of Stubborn Hands


On the rare occasions when I'm not emmersed in the business of being a mom, or hurrying from one place to another, I often have the privilage of just watching people. If I'm waiting to meet friends or family and find myself somehow alone in public, it gives the rare opportunity to simply slow down and observe. There are such a variety of people out there, even here in the 'burbs! (By the way, I am not fond of that phrase for some reason...who coined it, anyhow?) I often see parents with their children, young professionals sipping their lattes, folks going in and out of stores...and if I have nothing with me to read, watching people can be very educational and entertaining! Of course I try to be descreet...try not to stare. And sometimes I have had no intention of actually being a "people watcher"...but the situation just many times presents itself and there I am...watching people. They were there right in front of me and I had to keep an eye out for whomever I was waiting for anyway. Sometimes we have no choice except to watch people- and sometimes there are even lessons to be learned.

Now, I wish I could say that I had a phenomenal story to tell about some people I have observed. But it's usually the unassuming ones that many times grab my attention...

In fact, just this past Sunday we were making our weekly pilgrimage to Winco after church (for those not in Winco-land, it's pretty much a food warehouse where prices are cheap, but you stand in a long line whether you have a full cart or one loaf of bread- and of course you bag your grocieries.) Once we all got into line, and the girls were happily helping their daddy put the items up to be scanned, I decided to mosey outside to wait for them in the sunshine, near the exit doors. After seeing countless families file by, my eye caught sight of an older couple. He was slightly bent over, tall and frail looking, with an exquisitly beautiful Asian wife by his side. As he began picking up the two bags from their cart, I noticed how his wife tried to take one of the bags from him. Although he seemed to struggle somewhat, manuvering the second bag into his arms, he wouldn't relinquish it. I watched how his wife tried again, a worried look on her face, to take just one of the bags from him, but he haughtily insisted on carrying them both. She gave up, a still worried and frustrated look on her face as they walked past me...and my last glimpse was of the frail old man stubbornly clinging to his bags, one of them looking as though it could slip to the ground any minute. Yet, the look of concern on his wife's face had been clearly for him- not the bags. I wondered if perhaps something more specific than his age- perhaps a health problem- conctributed to her worry.
After they were out of sight, I wondered about them. How long had they been married? Did they have children? Was he always stubborn in his ways...or was he just holding tightly to the last of his independence as tightly as he held the grocieries?

Something about them had tugged at my heart. Perhaps it's the sometimes sad approach of age, when a once strong, robust and independent man finds the littlest tasks a struggle, and yet his pride yells out that he is still a man, still capable...still strong.
Or perhaps it was an all-too familair reflection of us all...how we, even those of us that love and follow Christ, can insist on trying to struggle with our own burdens, simply out of pride.

Tiny children, I've found, have the same characteristics...toddlers and preschoolers insist on wanting to "do it mytelf!" and then struggle and flounder...finally coming to us, their parents, for just a little help.

To this day, I still tend to want to "just figure things out on my own"- instead of first giving the whole thing over to the Lord, and
leave it there. How many times has He been walking beside me, just as the older man's wife had been, a look of deep concern on His face, just waiting for me to give my burden into His waiting arms?

Fortuantely, we serve a faithful God...He won't give up on us, even when we're being stubborn and prideful. He loves us too much. He will continue to walk besides us...waiting as long as He has to before we finally hand over whatever weighs us down. Because no matter how well we think we can handle everything on our own, we might as well face it...we just can't. And why would we really want to, anyway?


14 comments:

Antique Mommy said...

I love to observe people too, especially at the airport and wonder about their lives and why on earth they chose to wear what they did! Insightful post.

Grandma K said...

It's all a part of the circle of life. My husband's aunt put it well - "you have one adulthood and two childhoods." We do become like little ones again. Thanks for coming by and leaving me a note. I hope you come back soon.

ruth said...

Beautifully put and a reminder to us all to relinquish those burdens to the one who is more able to carry them for us. If we would just realize that He wants, as a loving Father, to help us through our struggles in life, and we are not alone.
ruth 7/5

deb said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I like to watch people, too. And I wonder, like antique mommy said, if folks really knew how they looked in what they wore if they would still wear it! :)

Thanks for visiting Mountain Musings and leaving a comment.

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

Well said! I like your perspective!

I found you from Just Peachy!

Gina Conroy said...

Tammy, Thanks for stopping by my blog. It seems we have a lot in common. I'll be back to visit again.

Anonymous said...

I like people watching too. I'm especially good at it if we're outside and I'm wearing my black sunglasses. I have great peripheral vision and can stare to my heart's content without being obvious. :-)

Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com said...

I too love people watching--and I like to make up stories about the people I see--always with happy endings, of course!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

This is so neat... so many people watching people watching people. Interesting, and funny, too.

Where 'bouts in Oregon? My cousin is a home missionary in Portland at the college.

Anvilcloud said...

A neat post from just looking around and being aware of others.

Unknown said...

I watch others too. I find it fascinating. I always wonder what their life is like and when I am totally taken by them or something they are doing, I always pray for them. We may never talk to the strangers we see but we can always touch them with our prayers.

Tammy said...

So true, Amanda. I sometimes pray for strangers too.
And gina, I live right outside Portland to the west.
I so appreciate the replies...
Blessings!
~Tammy

Robin said...

This is not about your topic (so sorry), but with the new year approaching and me being new to home schooling, I'm interested in what you did for your kids first year regarding cirriculum.

kim said...

Hey again, Tammy.

Here's a thought. I'm watching you, through your blog and watching several others as well. And hopefully some day, someone will be reading my blogs and watching me,
I guess my question is this...

what will they/I see?

I so see a women of God here. Blessings and keep those insightful comments coming.

I so want others to see Christ as they watch me and my life and I so often fall short of that as well as falling short of going to Him first to figure it all out.

Good to know others are living in His Grace day by day as well.