Monday, March 12, 2007

"Nammy's" Birthday Weekend


The girls and I just said our good-byes as we watched my mom pull away in her van.
Yes, she not only still drives, but my little 80 year old mom drives a big old van. She says it she likes how her 4'11 self can tower over the freeway. And she just had her license renewed, so if you see her comin' your way, just move over to the slow lane and get out of her way! heehee

Seriously, we had a wonderful time. No big fan fare, no huge throngs of guest nor parades in her honor...but a wonderful visit, nonetheless.
She arrived Saturday around noon, and because the children were at an Awana racing event with their daddy, it gave us a chance to visit quietly for awhile.
Later, she and girls watched movies and read stories...just spent some good old-fashioned "grandma" time.

(At far right, the girl watch as "Nammy" opens her presents.)


Sunday morning, we all went to church together...something that hasn't happened in a long while... and would you believe, that the message was partly about honoring those people who are of age, both men and women, and caring for the widows? Very timely!

Our pastor is fairly young- about 40, if that- with small children, so I found it refreshing that he was focusing on this subject a bit.
Afterwards, even though the congregation is large and service was the middle of three, I decided that my mom's 80th birthday was reason enough to try detaining him a moment and introducing her. Only two other people were ahead of me on this idea, so it worked out well.
At our turn, he didn't disappoint, but came down the steps and spoke to her with such graciousness and the honor she was due.

I think she might have appreciated the meeting more, if she hadn't needed to make a mad dash for the Ladies Room about then...but still.

After church, I had to do another quick clean-up around the house (didn't I just clean the day before?) and then the girls helped me decorate her little home-made cake. As you can see, nothing fancy...just made with lots of love. We only had a few minutes before my sister in law, Molly, stopped by, as well as one of my good friends, Missy, her little girl and a friend, to join us in our festivities.

Hubby has been given opportunities to fix a few cars lately, and earn a bit of needed extra money...so because he was under a deadline, he had to spend most of the weekend in the garage.
But at least he was able to join us for church, and later, gifts and cake. He even managed to pick a few beautiful Camellias for her!



The rest of the day was filled with simple pleasures. She and the girls decided to all finger paint together! My mom rarely gets the chance to smoosh her hands aroundf paints these days, so she was enjoying this childhood joy all over again.
The paintings pictured here are the two that she painted. She declared, with a laugh, "I'm no Grandma Moses"...but I think these are treasures, don't you think?

(My mom and daughters painting away...)




And at some point during the day, my oldest was even able to convince her arthritic "Nammy" to try playing Nintendo with her! Apparently, she was not too tuckered out from all the celebrating, and seemed to be actually enjoying herself.

Nammy zoomin' around the virtual tracks

I guess maybe something comes over you on your 80th birthday...maybe you go from feeling like maybe you're too old... to feeling like you just want to jump into life while you still have that kick!

The weekend seemed to fly by for all of us. And because it wasn't going to be a huge celebration, I worried that it would be good enough. But because she said more times than I can count just how wonderful her birthday was, I really believe it is true.

23 comments:

ruth said...

Hi I posted on your previous one & then found this one just now. Correction I have shrunk to 4'9 because of the Curveture of my spine, but yes I do enjoy my van & yest I do take the fast lane once I get on I 5 until I get closer to my exit when I move over to the right one. I don't like the right one because of the trucks & they also move over into the middle one, so I avoid both of them if possible. And yes I had a wonderful time!!!

Lisa said...

What a wonderful birthday! Cakes made with love are the best kind! ;o)

Carole Burant said...

Lol giggling at your mom's comment here! Watch out for Nammy on the highway!!! hehe I so enjoyed hearing about her birthday celebrations and all the pictures...love, love, love the fingerpainting...what a treasure those paintings are! Sometimes the simplest of celebrations are the very best one:-) xoxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the music on your post about Nammy. How so wonderful that she is fiesty enough to party all day. Good for you Nammy! You go girl!!!

Karen said...

Oh Tammy, what a sweet time you all had together. I want to be just like her when I reach 80! Still willing to learn at that age is impressive, and fun-loving!
I'm sure she felt very loved and honored during her visit with you all.

Barb said...

How nice, Tammy. I'm sure she thought it was a wonderful birthday. Sometimes simple is best, you know? Instead of going all out and being busy, you were all able to relax and enjoy the visit. Too funny, her with that controller in her lap. :-)

Linda said...

It sounds like a perfect birthday weekend Tammy. Your mom is so sweet. I'm so glad you got to celebrate this very special day together. You did a wonderful job!!

Karen said...

Hi Tammy,
Just want to pop in and say how much I enjoy your blog! The music is great (I love Nat King Cole,too) and your mom's birthday sounds wonderful. I stopped in at her blog -- she has wonderful stories. Also, checked out the movie blog (yes, I've been busy). Oh, the Long, Long Trailer brings back memories. My brothers and I used to watch that movie whenever it came on TV -- the "old days" before we could rent the videos. I think it meant so much more when we did get to see it.

gail@more than a song said...

Looks like y'all had a fun time and great birthday celebration! Love that she drives a van!
And I think I'm hearing Frank, love his music!

Big Mama said...

It looks like y'all had a great time. I bet when you're 80 you've lived enough to know that the best birthdays are the ones filled with the simple joys of life, like spending time with beautiful granddaughters.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Lovely!!

And too funny about the van! :>)

ruth said...

A couple of people mentioned music on your web site. I'm not getting any nor did I with a birthday card a friend sent. I used to get music so don't know if there is a problem with my computer now or not.

groovyoldlady said...

I love parties! Thanks for sharing this very special one with us!

Laurie said...

Just wonderful. I am so glad you had such a delightful time with your mom. You can tell her that my Grandma Opal, 96, said that after she turned 90 she started to get younger and feel better!

Dawn said...

What a great week-end and what a great Nammy. Love that nick name. You are blessed to have her, as you said to me. I am blessed to still have both of my parents. God is good.

Susan said...

What a wonderful time you all had. I love it that your Mom played Nintendo with the kids...my MIL does this, but I can't...it kills my head and makes me dizzy!!

Have a GREAT week!!

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I can see the joy on all the faces in these pictures at the joy you feel just being together. Truly the very essence of a wonderful birthday celebration!
hugs!!

Kristen said...

Oh, how sweet!! It sounds like it was a fabulous weekend with your Mom. She sounds like a spunky, fun little lady! I love that she was painting with the kids! :-)

Michelle said...

What a wonderful celebration. Your Mom is just an inspiration.

Michelle said...

thanks for sharing pictures of the bday celebration! It looks like such a wonderful, treasured time together! You're going to be glad you have those pics of your mom finger-painting and playing nintendo with the girls!

Dawn said...

I came back today to thank you for visiting my Woman to Woman today and for your kind comments. I think, if for no other reason, this series started with this topic so that you can start working on yourself and be ready when 50 hits!! Seriously, I know you and God can do this. I work with a woman who did not have her first child until she was 38. The "child" is now 14, and I have to say she is a very overprotective, controlling mom. I hope the daughter doesn't rebel against it someday. I think you're doing great!

Pamela said...

she looks GRAND!
love her being the first comment.. ha ha ha

Shawna said...

Wonderful pictures. It sounds like everyone had a great time!