I just wanted to thank so many of you for not only replying to my 80th birthday tribute to my mom, but taking the time to go over and wish her a happy birthday personally. It truly means so much to me, and she was so very touched, reading all your comments! Thank you, thank you...you all are the best.
Speaking of her blog, she has written a new post about remembering life when childhood diseases were still rampant. I encouraged her to write more of her early memories, so she is obliging!
*****************************************************
And may I just say- I'm sorry to be so behind on some of your posts! Life has just seemed to be a little busier this week... and since my mom is coming up this weekend, I have a few extra cleaning tasks to do that so easily get pushed aside. You know...like, um...dusting.
Dusting is not something I do on a daily basis. OK....not on a weekly basis, either. It's on a company's coming basis. And even though my mom is not truly company but family, I just happened to look around and notice that...well...I don't think we've had company coming in a looooong time.
Lucky for me, my mom is not one to do the white glove test.
I still remember that commercial from when I was growing up... does anyone
else remember this one?The poor woman's mother-in-law came for lunch and proceeded to walk around the house marking in the dust on the furniture with her white glove. That poor daughter in law endured this humiliating moment all because she forgot her Lemon Pledge.
On top of the dusting, there's just a few other little tasks around the house that I need to do. For one, I promised my seven year old daughter a game of Nintendo before she goes to bed. Yes...Santa brought Nintendo for the girls...or for their daddy, I'm still unclear here. But since Daddy is busy tonight, I'm elected. And Mommy hasn't had much practice, plus I get a wee bit carsick towards the end of each virtual race. But a mom's life is wrought with sacrifices...like feeling woozy and getting laughed at by Mario.
So, I best go now. And please forgive me if I'm a little scarce this weekend. I may visit a few of you here and there...but my time will be limited for the next couple days, since I want to spend as much time with my mom on her special weekend as I can.
I hope to visit most of you very soon...and I'll be sure to let you know how our quiet little festivities go- maybe with a picture or two!
Thank you again on her behalf for all of the birthday wishes! You are all blessings to me!








25 comments:
It was fun to visit your Mom and read about her memories of illness and doctors in "the olden days." (I forgot to wish her a Happy Birthday!) I love the photo of the four of you, with your girls in their pretty dresses. What a lovely family.
I'm glad your Mom has such a youthful attitude... AND a blog. She's an example to all of us. :~)
If you want to read some stories from a super old timer, there's a lady named Olive (107, I think) whose blog is called The Life Of Riley. (Lol, she calls it a "blob.") I think I ran across her link somewhere during 5MFM's party. Take a peek if you have some time (...after your dusting is done of course!)
http://www.allaboutolive.com.au/
Have a wonderful weekend with your Mom. :~)
I tried to comment on your Mom's blog, but I don't have an account, so it wouldn't let me. :)
Anyway, I loved reading your post about your mom's life! I'm another Tammy, and in fact we live very near Fremont, Ohio which is mentioned in the most recent post on your mom's blog. :)
*Hugs-a-bunch*
Oh...I detest dusting. One thing nice about a big house is that the dust on the furniture is barely even noticeable. The dust-bunnies, however...
When we lived in a MUCH smaller home in Missouri, I was a militant housekeeper. The place was so small that you had to step outside just to change your mind. Consequently I couldn't stand any disorder or dirt because it seemed to make the apartment even tinier.
Then, my mom calls from Florida. She was coming to visit, so I gave every room a serious going-over. Imagine my surprise when on day 3 she said she wanted to help me out with the housework. She went into my VERY clean bathroom and spent AN HOUR "scrubbing" it.
Oy!
I think we have the same dusting schedule :)
Have a wonderful visit with your mom.
I sure know what you mean about dusting. I'm the same. It seems like such a simple chore but I hate it with a vengence. It's good to know there is at least one other person who understands the aversion. :v)
I loved visiting your mom's blog...I wish my mom was into that but she's terrified of her answering machine so can you picture her with a computer? lol I'm like you, I pretty much only dust when I have to...if no company comes for a month then yup, there's a month of dust accumulated on everything! lol xoxo
I remember that commercial very well. I'm afraid I'd fail the white glove test in a big way. Dusting is one of those chores I put off as long as possible. Fortunately, my husband doesn't mind doing it for me.
I dust when the grandkids start writing their names on the TV screen. lol This time of year when the furnace runs constantly it seems like the dust is back as soon as you are finished.
I'm glad your mom is writing some of her memories for you. I listen as my mom shares, come home and try to get it all written down but always seem to leave something out. If I try to tape our conversations she gets very self conscious and doesn't say much.
I'm so sorry I'm behind too. Thank you for wishing my baby a happy birhtday. I'm going to wish your mom a belated one as well.
Have a wonderful weekend and visit with your mom!
Have a wonderful visit with you Mom Tammy. I know how special these times are. I treasure my time with my Mom - storing up precious memories.
I wanted to thank you for recommending "Gardenias for Breakfast". You gave such a great review, I went out and bought it. I'll finish it up tonight. I love it!!!
Hi- I am catching up. Heading over to see your mom...
I neglect dusting too - did it today because, yep, we had company over LOL
Hope your mom has a wonderful birthday!
I don't mind dusting with a swiffer. I never thought I'd use something like that, but my daughter talked me into it and it honestly goes so much faster.
Tammy, thanks so much for all your prayers for Grandpa. Enjoy every moment of your time with your Mom. I hope her birthday is so special!!
((hugs))
Your mom's a sweetie. It was a pleasure to wish her a happy birthday.
Dusting is truly my very least favorite chore. With forced air heat and a/c, it just never ends. I change the filter in our air unit once a month, which is ridiculous, and it's still a challenge to stay on top of dust.
Don't feel bad about being behind on blogs. I've finally accepted the fact that if I want to have a life, and stay on top of my family and home, it's not going to happen -- I'm not ever going to catch up. I've decided to just do the best I can and not stress over it any more. It would help if I could delete about 70 people from my bloglines, but I can't do that. I'd rather leave the occasional comment to let them know I read them than delete anyone altogether.
Sigh....the neverending balance issue!
Love your mom's blog
It is wonderful that you are able to spend time with your mom...
Regarding dusting - kinda have to do that almost every day around here. My Sweetheart has a lot of allergies and living in the desert doesn't help either...
Blessings to you and yours...
I'mm with you on the dusting thing! Or cleaning of any sort. I used to be so good! But that was before I had to go back to being a working-outside-the-home kind of gal. I loved being a full time homemaker.
I'm way behind, too. We'll get caught up on reading and commenting!
Cleaning house is way over-rated. I'm pretty sure if tomorrow was my last day on this earth I wouldnt spend it dusting anything! I love that you do it on a "company coming basis". Perfect in my book!
I asked my son to clean the bathroom and he replied with "So, who's comin' over?" He thought he was sooooo funny!! LOL!
Enjoy your momma......
I hope your weekend with your mom was fabulous!
I hate dusting, too. And laundry....and dishes....and vacuuming.....I just need a maid!
Tammy, I'm a late arriver here--found your link on...hmmm, let me think...I think on PreachersWife's blog. I missed the party--but thought it was precious that you sent people to your mom's blog. My mom passed away three years ago, and my dad last August--both parents gone within two years. She was 81, and he got her a computer on her 75th birthday. She *loved* emailing me every few days, and I've kept all her emails. Sure do miss her.
I'm going to follow your link to your mom's and read her blog.
Should I have brought my white gloves with me? For all who commented on this blog & mine & wished me a Happy Birthday, I had a wonderfuly one with Tammy, my dear son(by marraige) & my two little munchkins. It was a Blessed time yesterday,with church in the morning,Chocolate cake, ( my fav.) with Sherbert,in the afternoon shared with family & friends & a delicious Salmon dinner cooked by my daughter. My wonderful son-in-law surprised me with a lovey bouquet of flowers off of their flowering bush, arranged beautifully in a vase an equal to any florast arrangement.
Hi~ I'm still trying to visit everyone who came to check out my blog during the UBP.
I am comforted to find out that I am not alone in the deficient dusting department.
Have a great week!
Post a Comment