Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Wearin' of the Green





Top O' the Mornin' to you!

Just a very quick hello...with a promise to try and catch up on all of your posts this evening. (Again, for the upteenth time, forgive me for being so far behind!)

Does anyone else enjoy St. Patrick's Day traditions? I have a little Irish in me on both sides, so I'm partial to this day. Every year, I
have to make corn beef and cabbage (my girls are less than thrilled at this) and our family watches "The Quiet Man", a wonderful movie about an American who goes back to his mother's home in Ireland, starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. It's one of those movies I know by heart, but don't ever get tired of watching...
"There's be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate Danneher!"

(Sorry, sometimes I just start quoting...)


Oh, and we all wear green, of course!

The girls both have colds today, but we're hoping that won't stop us from having just a little fun. (They might not be up to dancing Irish jigs, but maybe we can listen to our Irish music and eat green jello.)

Yesterday, our home school group had a party in honor of the day.




And a good time was had by all!



How can you not, when you get to eat Oreo's with green creme filling and wear a crazy shamrock hat that you made yourself?




So...
what are some of your St. Patrick's Day traditions?

Let me know...and then go enjoy them! Oh, and try not to get pinched!

17 comments:

ruth said...

Whoops better put something Green on. I tried to comment on your previous post but it kept rejecting my correct password as incorrect so went back & signed in., so am trying again. Wish I could be there for that corn beef & cabbage. I bought cabbage but corn beef is expensive to buy for one pers on am not sure how I will season.

Ginger said...

Looks like a lot of fun, Tammy!

We've never celebrated St. Paddy's day in our family, I suppose because there's no Irish in my background. Oreos with Green creme sounds... um... challenging!

Susie said...

We always have corned beef and cabbage. This year we won't have it till Sunday though...We have friends coming for Saturday night dinner who don't eat that.
Enjoy your celebration!!
:)

Dawn said...

I've never been much into St. Patrick's Day, but this year Care Bear really got pumped about it because their preschool went all out last week (because this week was spring break). They came in from recess to find out the wee leprechaun had totally wrecked their room ("except the bookshelves, thank goodness"), and they were each left a gold coin. What fun for her.

I've made corned beef and cabbage the last few years because DC likes it and it's so cheap. They usually have cabbage at 10cents a pound, but not this year for some reason. OH, well, I think I'll make it this week anyway.

Michelle said...

Happy St Patty's Day!

I'm not Irish so I don't really have any traditions with food or anything, I do wear green though!

Susan said...

I have a little Irish in me...but this day never gets much "play" around my house. I DO have my green shirt on.

I love your pics and ideas. No corn beef and cabbage for me either.

Have a GREAT time!!

:-) Susan

Brenda said...

What fun! We don't do much in the way of celebration around here, although I do have some Irish roots. We do wear green, of course, 'cause with this bunch, somebody's bound to get pinched!

Love that movie.

Susanne said...

I was going to make Irish Stew this year but couldn't get to the store for some lamb. So we had our usual of potatoe soup with a few drops of green food coloring and gotta have green milk to go with it! :v)

Looney Mom™ said...

No, we don't celebrate the Irish way, but this day is special because it's my daughter's birthday; she's 14 today. She's my lucky charm I guess. :)

Christie Belle said...

It sounds like you have such fun around your house on this day. We don't have many traditions for St. Patty's day, except pinching everyone who doesn't wear green. My mom never wears green b/c she says it doesn't look good on her, but you can't pinch her, b/c she uses her green eyes as a way out:) I'm lucky I didn't get pinched, I didn't wear green today...it was unexpectedly cold here and all my green clothes are spring/summer clothes. Oh well. Glad ya'll had a fun one!
Christie

Cyndi said...

That looks like such fun! Around here we just wore green and talked about missions (I love a whole holiday dedicated to a missionary!) Those were great pictures!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Now I'd like to see that movie you talked about.

Laurie said...

Hoping you had a great St. Pat's Day. The Quiet Man is a great movie! Hope the girls are feeling better.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Since the only green I own is my robe I was able to justify staying in it all day! I watched the parade on TV - too cold out there for me. I like the construction paper dellie boppers!

groovyoldlady said...

I have a smidgeon of Irish. This year I had big green plans but they were trainwrecked by a snowstorm/hormone collision.

I did manage to print out a St. Patty's maze for the girlies and we made Irish soda bread. I even soured my milk overnight in a crock. (Ooooooo...Aaaaaaah!)

gail@more than a song said...

Looks like a fun time. We didn't do anything special because we were off skiing.
And you know, I don't think I've ever seen that movie! Guess we must remedy that sometime.

Susannah said...

Is getting pinched part of the Irish St. Patrick's tradition? And where did you find Oreos with green filling?

We're Irish (and Scottish/English) too. I think it's fun to celebrate our heritage, and remember our "roots." Someone suggested Reuben sandwiches as a cheesy alternative to corned beef and cabbage. I thought I'd try them.

It's also nice to know that patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick, was a true believer.

Your homeschool party looks like so much fun! :~)