Wednesday, March 14, 2007

WFMW...Interviewing Grandparents




I guess this can be considered a Works For Me Wednesday post! (And head over to Rock in my Dryer for many more Wednesday tips!)

Since I'm fresh off of a weekend visit with mom who is also known affectionately by my children as "Nammy", I wanted to share a home school project that we did...and that can be done by any family, whether you home school or not.

In fact, this idea started as something I wanted to do with our children and the residents of the retirement we visit monthly. I thought it would be fun to have each child in our home school group "interview" a resident about their early memories. A learning experience for the children, and probably something that the older people would enjoy, as well.

We hope to do this next month...but in the meantime, I told my second grader that she should consider interviewing her own Nammy. So, she picked five questions and sat with a paper and pencil, to record her answers.

"What was your favorite toy when you were my age?"
Nammy would think, then list off a few of her very favorites...spawning more memories and stories along the way.

"Did you have any pets?"
Nammy answered this one with a surprise...not a dog or a cat, as granddaughter expected- but a rat! A wild rat that lived in thier attic and came when you whistled!

When my daughter was through with her interview, she wrote a paper based on her answers. She wanted to make it partly fiction since she likes to write this way, so she took the facts and embellished on them. The result was wonderful!

Here is an excerpt: (complete with misspelled words!)
"Right now Ruthy was getting redy too go too the movies with her mom. She was going too see Hide! (Heidi), a Shirlie Temple movie. Her mom payed five cence and they watched the movie together. When it was over, they went home together and then it was time for her faverite job...helping her mom wash the dishes!"

and then later...
"It was time for heer favrite radeo show and she was right buy the radeo and it was alredy on! When the show was over, Ruthy almost forgot abot her pet rat. Everyone looked very hard. They cold't find Snowball the rat anwhere for five days." - based on her grandma's true tale!

So, whether you home school or not, what is important, I think, is encouraging your children to ask questions of their grandparents and great-grandparents. They hold a wealth of information....of history lived first-hand, and hopefully, some extra wisdom.

I remember when I was growing up, I would listen intently as my grandmother told me stories of her growing up years...and I'm so glad I did! Once they are gone from your lives, you cannot get those moments back to learn and glean from their past.

Not to mention that is just plain sweet to sit, cuddled up next to a grandparent, and hear all those stories from his or her own lips... it not only bonds the generations but gives us all a sense of continuity.
And a sense of old-fashioned comfort in this fast-paced life in which we all live.

17 comments:

Susannah said...

This is wonderful inspiration! I love the fact that your Mom (Nammy) is a writer... (she obviously enjoys what you do.) Like mother, like daughter, eh?

A good list of questions too. Taking notes. Well done!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wonderul, wonderful idea. I finally got my Internet service to comply with my efforts to link to you, Tammy. I hope that's OK. I glanced at your profile and again, I'm amazed at how much I have in common with you, down to Nat King Cole!

Jenny said...

What a great idea!! I'll tuck this in my "what do do when homeschooling" and get it out a couple years down the road. THANKS! (and, thanks for commenting on my blog - nice to meet you too!)

Dawn said...

What a great idea. There's nothing better than those memories.

Karen said...

I love this idea, Tammy. I am interested to see how it goes next month at the retirement home.
I know you'll be saving this precious writing your daughter did!
A beautiful legacy is continuing.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

As a family historian I wish every family would do this and repeat the exercise regularly with different questions. Not only will they learn about the older members of the family they learn that the elderly are worth talking to. Many of the kids I've known over the years were uncomfortable being around seniors. I'm certain your kids will get as much out of your monthly visits as the folks in the home do.

Anonymous said...

Oooo! I LOVE that.

Susie said...

Tammy,
This is a fantastic idea. I know you and I share the same viewpoint on the importance of family memories and this is an excellent way to involve different generations!

Christie Belle said...

This is such a neat idea. I know that this has got to be such a joy not only for the kids, but for your mom and the other residents you visit. I remember how much I loved listening to stories from my grandparents when I was younger and I still do!

ruth said...

I really had to laugh when I read that we had a "Wild" rat when I was little. That is WHITE rat. Snowball was so cute, white & If I remember correctly had little pink eyes. Hm not sure about his eye color, but he was very smart. Wild rats, I'm deathly afraid of, & they can be be quite large, but Snowball was small & of course very white, not an ugly gray like wild ones.

deedee said...

My daughter's first grade teacher had them do a project like this, I thought it was a good idea.

Cyndi said...

What a great idea! I love this. My kids recently talked to my Grandmother all about the ration books they used during WWII and how it was to live back then. We are about to start volunteering at a retirement center, so I think I'll incorporate your idea for my kids. It will also help them have something specific to talk about. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! We have been intending to interview grandparents and haven't done it yet, and "Granddad" (my husband's grandfather) is 96 and sharp as a tack...you've inspired me to get it done!!

groovyoldlady said...

We've almost lost Grampy several times the past couple of years. He has some stories that the girlies need to hear (his father invented the first motorized wheelchair!) and that I need to publish. Thanks for the reminder that we need to do it NOW.

Lisa said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing your daughter's story! :o)

http://justlisa.blogsavy.com/

Linda said...

You are very wise Tammy. Those memories are absolutley priceless. It is such a great idea to save them and treasure them and pass them on.

Shawna said...

Great idea and it sounds perfect for a scrapbook!

I remember doing the same thing with my Grandma. I was trying to record her recipes, all my favorites, but it was almost impossible because like so many her age, she did not measure. I wish I still had the paper anyway. It would be a treasure to me today.