
I am so happy that Katrina at Callapidder Days is hosting another reading challenge.
Because even though I have always been a book lover from the time I first learned to read, we all know that sometimes our busy lives can make it a little harder to settle in with that good book and cup of cocoa whenever we feel like it.
And harder yet, when we do other important things...like blogging.
Money doesn't grow on trees for us at the moment, but happily, the new church we have been going to has an awesome library. This place is wonderful...so spacious, with an incredible assortment of books, CD's and DVD's for both adults and children, that we make it a tradition to go up there every Sunday after services to choose more things to borrow.

I could browse in there all afternoon, but for some reason the church librarians want to go home to their families and eat lunch or something. Oh well!
I said all of that to say this...I noticed they have a huge assortment of both fiction and non-fiction that is fairly new. So hopefully, they will have a couple of the items on my Spring reading list.
So, without further ado...(and I've already given you lots of ado) here's what I hope to be reading:
Fiction:
(I already started reading this one....it's a Fall Reading Challenge book that I never got to...)
1) Sisterchicks in Gondolas! by Robin Jones Gunn
She is one of my favorite authors, whom I've had the pleasure of meeting twice. (She's also the author of the wonderful book I recently mentioned, "Gardenias for Breakfast".)
I have to admit, the Sisterchicks series doesn't grab me as well as her Glenbrook series, but when you can take a virtual trip without leaving your sofa, it's almost always fun.
2) At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
I am one of the very few who have not read the Mitford series yet! I keep hearing so much about them that I decided this would be the perfect time to crack open the first book in the series.
3) The Prince by Francine Rivers
I've only read one Francine Rivers book so far (And the Shofar Blew) and it was excellent. Though I tend to lean towards stories that are lighter when I want to relax, I would love to read another book by this great author and I heard some great things about this one!
4) Stranded in Paradise by Lori Copeland
In keeping with my tendency to lean towards lighter books, I chose this one. I like Lori Copeland...and after my own recent disasterous moments in paradise, I wanted to read about someone else's!
5) Yuletide in Ireland and Wales by Ginny Aiken and Tamela Hancock Murray
Another book of light reading, this is one of those two stories in one fare, which takes the readers to a journey of 19th Celtic romance in 19th century. I admit it...I love romance!
Non-ficton:
1) Lessons from a Sheepdog by Phillip Keller
I actually read the children's book to my girls last month based on this original true story and we loved it. It's an allegory of God's love for us in this story of how the author rescues an unloved dog who becomes his loyal friend.
2) "Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining and Bad attitudes in you and your kids!"
by Scott Turansky, D. Min. and Joanne Miller, RN., B.S.N.
How's that for a title? I know you're laughing, but I borrowed this from a friend and after reading the first chapter, I know I need to finish this one! And no...my children aren't that bad...but they do have their moments- and so do I!
3) Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado
While flipping through my catalog, I came across this book and immediately, I wanted to read it. I'm not sure if it will be in my library yet, but if not, perhaps I can order it...it looks worth it.
If I somehow get through all of these, I would also like to read:
The Cure for the Common Life also by Max Lucado.
So...there you have it! Whew!...I guess I better get off the computer and get going!
But I'm so glad Katrina said that we shouldn't worry if we don't make every book on our list. The point is, to simply have a list and start reading and sharing.
So...hope you join me!








26 comments:
Hi Tammy,
I'm happy to see you love reading, and that you are passing it on to your children. I am a children's author , and have just published my first book with a writing partner. The book is entitled: It Comes in the Night and is the first book in a series. The local schools in our area have embraced the book and are using in their studies on Native Americans. Please check out our blog at: www.itcomesinthenight.blogspot.com and let us know what you think.
The way things have been going, I'm thinking I'll be reading Robinson Crusoe and Shepherding a Child's Heart for the next 3 months.
I doubt I'll be able to squeeze in much else except for the Bible. I have set out Dr. Doolittle for a quick perusal when (if) I ever finish these two. I am ansolutely commited to NOT strating a new book until these are done. Nope. Not a single...oh cool, another YWAM book.
Well, I may throw another YWAM book in the mix. How 'bout the one on George Mueller?
Glad to see you joined. I always have lots more on the list than I ever can get read. But the list chanllenges me to get going. You'll like the Prince. Biblically accurate, and transports you to that era! I haven't read the Mitford series either, but one of these fine days. It's just so many books so little time! :v)
Having joined a new Christian book club today, I'll soon have lots of Christian fiction to read although I do enjoy reading non fiction Christian as well. Is the Sisterchicks book a Library one? If not I'll have to borrow it. Your list sounds interesting.
YAY!! Excellent list...and the Sisterchick series gets better as it goes along...my favorites were "Down Under" and "Say Ooh-La-La"...
Lots of good titles on your list...have you read anything by Sharon Hinck?? She's the next Robin Jones Gunn, I think, with a little Erma Bombeck thrown in for fun...
sounds like you have a great list to get started on! That's wonderful that your church has such a great library!
I have the book "At Home in Mitford" and haven't read it yet either! Now I am going to have to go and dig it out! lol
I read the "Stop Whining" book a couple years back. I can't say that I used their advice consistently, so I am not sure if it works or not! lol Good luck!
Sherry
Tammy, you're going to love the Mitford series! It's like you step into the lives of new, warm-fuzzy friends and leave a little piece of your heart. Happy reading!
Years ago, I always had a book in my hands, I would even read while I was cooking, stirring something in a pot! lol Unfortunately over the years for one reason or another, I stopped reading...I tend to enjoy blogging better than a book these days!! My oldest son Shawn has loved reading from the time he was little and still reads a lot, I'm happy to say:-) Have fun reading all those books!! xox BTW, I mailed out your parcel today:-)
Great list, Tammy! I read Say Goodbye to Whining, etc. a while back and it had a lot of good stuff in it. And I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Max Lucado book. I usually appreciate his books, but haven't picked that one up yet. Thanks for joining the challenge. Enjoy your reading!
OH, you will LOVE Mitford and all the wonderful, colorful citizens there. Especially Father Tim and his great garden and terrific pork roast. Enjoy your visit!
Some of your books are on my list too. ALthough I have not posted mine yet. I need to get at that. Thanks for the reminder.
Yep, spring break is NOT the same when you are homeschooling. It is that Ahhh feeling you get on a Friday afternoon ~ times a million :)
Enjoy your weekend Tammy.
What a great list! I love the Sisterchick books and also the Mitford series. Max Lucado is also a big favorite. Happy reading, Tammy!
great post!
Great list! Good luck finding them at your church library, I wish we had one. Happy Reading! =)
Looks like you've got a good list up. I find spring is the season that I read the least because I spend so much time outside after being inside all winter. By summer I'm ready to lie around outside and read all day long.
I'm loving the Mitford series of books and am almost through with them! Need to check on something by Robin Jones Gunn because I think I'd be interested in her. Not sure if I'm familiar with Lori Copeland, is she a christian author and can I find her stuff in a church library? I'm trying to refrain from buying more at the moment!
I never buy books any more, but get them from the library (public). You will LOVE the Mitford series - I should reread them. I have only read one Francine Rivers book and can't remember the name - it was fictional about Hosea. Really amazing.
You're off to a good start with Mitford and Sisterchicks--I love both of them. I am putting the Mitford Bedside Companion on my list. I have had it since Christmas and not even opened it. This should be a good time to read some of the gems inside. good luck withyour reading!
This is a great list. I haven't jumped in yet...but I DO have a ton of books just waiting to be read.
What a blessing it sounds like this church library is!
Have a happy Lord's Day!!
:-) Susan
Happy Reading. Don't spend all these pretty spring days inside though...although I guess you can take the books outside and read while the kiddoes are playing.
AWESOME list, Tammy! :o)
I'm challenging myself to read too!
I've heard that the Sisterchicks book are really good, but I have yet to read one. Perhaps I'll add one or two to my summer list.
Thanks for visiting me, it's always good to meet another homeschooling mom!
Thanks for stopping! You will love the Mitford Series. I was a reluctant beginner, but once I got started, I could not put them down.
I've seen the whining, complaining and bad attitude book on other lists! Enjoy your reading.
I think I should add #2 from your non fiction list to my list for sure! I haven't heard of most of your other books, but they sure look interesting. Happy Spring and Happy Reading!
This is a wonderful list!
You're lucky to have a good church library. I used to, but we don't know. Since I don't usually buy fiction, I can't read as much Christian fiction now, because my public library doesn't have much either.
Let us know how you like Mitford. Everyone doesn't love it (although I do) and it's okay if you don't!
Post a Comment