Monday, August 13, 2007

Going Home Again...

We're back...we're tired...
but wow, did we have a lot of fun!


We were gone only one night and two days, but we packed in so much in this short amount of time, I feel as though it's been a week!

And that is why I feel I must divide this all into two parts.
And even at that, be prepared to sit back and relax...depending on the time of day, pour yourself a big ole cup of java...
The first part is my path down memory lane...where I visited my old suburban town, my old grade school- and most importantly, my old grade school friend, Mavis...

(For how Mavis found me, you can read the story here.)

But first, let me start at the beginning...


Saturday, before we could even get underway, we had to take our youngest to the pediatrician, since just when I thought she was about over her 2-week cough, it seemed worse. I knew I couldn't relax unless I made sure it wasn't anything serious. Thankfully, she was able to get looked at right away- and with no bronchitis, pneumonia or any nasty ear infections, we got the green light to be on our way!

We had DVDs and audio tapes all packed...but at the last minute, couldn't find the cord for our portable DVD player...
plus we had taken my husband's car, which meant... no tape player!
Yikes! What were our girls going to do in the car for over three hours?!
Well, would you believe it...they actually looked out the window at the interesting sights and scenery passing before them, chatting excitedly...and didn't complain of boredom once!

Just think...if they had had a movie to watch all that time, they would have missed the changing landscapes that they had never seen before... a blessing in disguise.

The three hours went by quickly, and before we knew it, we were in my old town, Kent, where our hotel awaited.
I hadn't slept well the night before (between my little one's coughing and my own excitement) so hubby and I crashed for a little while, as two little impatient girls kept asking us how many more minutes we were going to just lie there. They should have been tired but strangely enough- just were not. They only seemed anxious to plop into the indoor swimming pool they heard all about. Hubby managed to doze but I just couldn't fall asleep with two excited girlies milling about and bouncing off the hotel walls. Finally their daddy got up and took them down to the pool and I freshened up...because by now, it was almost time to meet Mavis!

An hour later, I found myself walking into the coffee shop, my heart beating fast...and there she was, standing up to greet me.
My Mavis- after 35 years.
She looked beautiful!

We embraced, and then we began the incredible process of catching up with each other-almost through every decade of our lives...looking at old pictures (she obediently brought hers at my request, but I forgot mine!) and comparing memories of our childhood get-togethers, sleepovers, and all the various classmates that colored our mutual third grade experience.


The only thing marring this wonderful reunion for me was one of those bad head aches which had sneaked up on me, due to travel and lack of sleep...and wouldn't you know, I hadn't packed my trusty ibuprofen.

As thrilled as I was to see her, I was afraid I might not be appearing as perky as I felt down deep inside, but I mentioned it to her, and she was very understanding. We agreed that after coffee we'd be on a quest to hunt down some ad*ils somehow.


In spite of that annoying headache, though, I just loved catching up with her life...and seeing who she turned out to be.
I think if I were just meeting her today, having never known her as a child, she would still be some one I would really want to be friends with. She has turned out to be a beautiful woman, inside and out...a successful business woman and entrepreneur... sweet, and full of life...and best of all, she has told me that she is a Christian.
To know this childhood friend of mine also loves the Lord is a wonderful thing.


After chatting over coffee, we finally headed back to my hotel to pick up my now very sleepy family...wake them up...and drive over to a nice Italian restaurant that Mavis had picked out.
And my goodness, from the first moment my girls met her, she was instantly a hit with them! They don't always take to strangers right off, but it was if they knew Mavis all their lives, and treated her just like an auntie. (In fact, they said they would love for her to marry one of their single uncles and have it be so...heehee)


Here we are, all helping with the hidden word puzzle on the kids' menu...such concentration!



Although I don't have pictures of us as children posed together, here's how we looked as friends back in the third grade...








And here we are, finally reunited this past weekend, after 35 years...







Isn't she just so pretty?
(And look- she got taller than me! No fair!)












I hated saying our good-byes in the parking lot and going our separate ways...but we promised to keep in touch and not lose each other again...and with only three hours between us, we hope to get together sometime in the near future.


I just thank the Lord He allowed me to connect with not only a happy time in my not always happy childhood...but with the dear person she turned out to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After this emotionally rewarding time...our family drove from the restaurant that evening directly to my old street to find the house that I had lived in...
but so many new houses had now been suddenly added- even new culdesacs....
and after much deliberation I sadly came to the conclusion that my house was torn down and a new one built in it's place. Some of the old houses around it were still standing, so I was so confused trying to find it...but I'm quite sure none of the remaining homes were mine.
I had visited the old neighborhood 14 years ago- at that time it was still there. I
Yes, it was a little sad...even for my girls, who had hoped to see it...but such is "progress".

I lived just a block from my old grade school, so we stopped there so that my girls could play on the same grounds where I did as a child.

Here is my oldest daughter and I playing hop scotch in the exact spot I played countless times before...

I had so many fond memories of this cemented square area...and they now have added this great painted map of the states!
My husband had them hook on like a train to show how he and I had driven across the country as newlyweds...



Then we went out to the grassy part of the playground...they had changed everything around, but two original bar areas remained that I had actually played on as a child.
I had to try it out for old times' sake...

(Can you tell that by now, I got my ibuprofen and it was kickin' in?)
Then my oldest daughter had to try...

(Okay, which one's the mom, which one's the kid?)


And then, feeling brave, she tried it on the other bar...


We really had such a great time!
True, it was a little disheartening to see how run down the school yards currently were, though...weeds popped up through the cement and everywhere we looked. Hopefully, they'll do something with it before school starts in three weeks...but then again, the houses that all seemed new when I was a kid are all completely run down, as well. I guess that is one of the negatives about "going home again".
But the negatives for me were far outweighed by the joy I felt on this trip back to my childhood town.
The privilege of seeing both my old school
and my old school chum in the same day was incredible.
And playing with my own children on the grounds that I have always tucked sweetly inside my memory was almost surreal.


We all went back to the hotel, exhausted, but happy...and we would certainly need our rest, because the next day- in Seattle- would prove to be just as busy for us!

(Stay tuned for Part 2!)



32 comments:

ruth said...

Hm there is uncle C for that short list. With his love for kids, he would make a great daddy, & is a real neat guy too. I'm glad you & Mavis had such a great time. I always liked her & hope I get a chance to see her sometime. Maybe she can come down to Oregon. I'm looking forward to part 2 & more pictures.

Corrie said...

Wow! That is so cool! I would love to go back to my old school and see my best childhood friend. You are both beautiful! It is amazing that you have kept in touch all this time! It sounds like such a wonderful trip! I laughed when you mentioned that the ibuprofen must have kicked in, as we are looking at a picture of you hanging upside down!!!! You are so much more fun than me. I'm in awe!
Looking forward to reading part 2!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

It sounds like a truly delightful time and what a wonderful opportunity to see an old grade school friend.

Grafted Branch said...

Wow...I would love to meet up with Deanna Jones from my elementary years. What a good time you're having in those pictures.

I can't wait to catch part 2.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Mandy your dog, and here is my version of what happened last weekend:

Saturday 8:00 am

Oh happy day! The weekend is here! Everyone is up and ready to go. Go where? I wonder where we're going? It's been a long week and I've been stuck here in the back yard. It's just me, the squirrels and the old soccer ball I had for lunch three months ago. The car's loaded, everyone's strapped in, and....whoa! I think they forgot me. Ugh! Not again! Oh well things could be worse.

Saturday 10:00 am

Things just got worse. Who is this guy who just walked in like he owns the place? Yikes! He's trying to put some sort of collar on me that fits like a strait jacket (don't ask me how I know what a stait jacket is). Now he's taking me for a ride in a stange car that smells like a dog.

Saturday 10:05 am

Now he picks up another dog. Ok, this could go either way. It's my cousin Ellie, but she's not talking. And she's not wearing a strait jacket either. Where are we going? Am I in trouble? Am I going to a new home? Or worse? It's weird, this guy keeps giving me treats. Something really bad is up. I know it. I've see my owners use this technique on their kids all the time.

Saturday 10:30 am

He says this is a park, but it just looks like a lot of trees to me. We get out and start to walk. And walk, and walk and walk. Ya, they'll never find me out here. Even though this must be some sort of punishment, it's really not that bad. There's so many things to sniff out here. Oh the smells! We must of went on smelling for over an hour.

Saturday 1:00 pm

He must have chickened out. Nothing bad happened. I'm back home now and can say I've had a rather pleasant day.

Saturday 7:00 pm

The more I think about it, this was one of the best days I've had in my short life. Oh, and here's my new friend now. He's back. But he fills my food and water bowls, feeds the fish, and tucks me in for the night. And leaves. Darn! I hope he comes back.

Sunday 6:15 am

He's back! Oh no it's a tease. He only feeds me and leaves again. I'm such a wreck I can't eat. I want to go back to the trees!

Sunday 12:00 pm

What? Anoher walk in the strait jacket? Why yes, let me put it on myself. I think I've been wrong all along. This myterious human-type is all right. Even after testing him with every annoying antic I know, he still treats me with a level of respect I can frankly say I have not been introduced to. I even tried the "lick his hand when he's not looking" trick. No reaction. How about the "wrap the leash around his legs every two minutes while we're walking" trick. Nothing. It's been a great day. I feel like a new dog.

Sunday 5:00 pm

He's back again?? What joy!! I really don't deserve this. Oh, excuse me, it's my regular family. Hmmmm. We've really got to talk.

Susie said...

Tammy,
What a lovely reunion story. I know you'll treasure this memory for years to come..
How fun to play on your old playground and look at you hanging on those bars! You're so athletic!
xo

ruth said...

I see you have a new blogger leaving a comment on your blog. That was quite an interesting account of Mandy's weekend that she wrote about while all of you were gone. With those big paws she has, it is amazing she was able to type it all out on the computer. Quite the dog you have there.

Pamela said...

maybe those headaches are from hanging from those monkey bars and falling and hitting your head as a child.

You nut.... but I bet your daughters just went wacko over the fun.


A dear friend of mine was by last week - visiting from their home in Indonesia. When I see her it's like we talked last week.

Anonymous said...

That was fun! I feel like I was with you in those great pictures. Mavis is indeed lovely, and I am so excited you got to renew your friendship. I still love the way she found you.

I have lived in many homes in the midwest, and once went back to the St Louis area to see my earliest home that I remember (age 2-5), but it was gone ... replaced by a golf course. I was sad too.

Then I went to my elementary school and peeked in the Kindergarden window and they had COMPUTERS in place of the housekeeping center. Oh, my!

Karen said...

How neat to meet an old friend! I'm glad the meds kicked in, and you could enjoy yourself, too. I got such a kick out of seeing you go back to your old school. The bars, everything, reminded me a lot of my old school. Which isn't there anymore. A new one was built in its place, and the playground has all new "state of the art" ultra-safe playground equipment. I guess too many of us broke our necks on the old ones. (heehee)
Can't wait to read Part 2!

Susanne said...

What a great weekend trip! So glad that you and your friend were able to connect so easily. That is just sweet!

How fun to take your kids to your old school. And look at you hanging off that old bar. I think I'd hurt myself if I tried that now.

Christie Belle said...

Oh what a great trip and reunion. I love to hear stories of reuniting with childhood friends. I know this was really special for both of you! So, by now you've guessed...I've returned to blogland. I missed reading everyone's blogs! I know I have missed sooo much, but it looks like y'all have had a wonderful summer from glancing over some of your posts. Anyways, it's good to be back visiting. Have a great week!

someone else said...

That sounds like such a great trip and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

Memory Lane and old friends -- it doesn't get much better than that!

Robin Green said...

That must have been an amazing time. I would just love to do something like that. So sorry you had a headache for part of it though.

Susan said...

What a wonderful experience for both you, your family and your old friend. I am so happy for you that you got to do this.
Susan

Nancy said...

What an exciting time... and so lucky to get to see your old classroom buddy! I am looking forward to part 2. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

what an awsome reunion you had to see your childhood friend after 35 years! all that catching up! Sorry about your old home, but I think it's neat you were able to take your girls to your old school playground!

Linda said...

What a great experience for your whole family. I'm so glad you're visit with your childhood friend was such a success. Those friendships are so special.
I'll have to catch up with you when I get back in a few days!!

Myrna said...

How great! I love the pictures of you having fun with your children on the playground. What a sweet memory for them and you.

I think you need to work on tha Mavis and uncle thing. Sounds like real possibilities. :-)

Nadine said...

I'm glad you had a great time even though you had a headache. Mavis is pretty but so are you. It's the first time I've seen your face. You are a lovely lady. What fun to see an old friend and your old school and have your kids be there.

By the way - Mandy the dog's comments made me laugh out loud.

Dawn said...

I am so far behind, but will be back to read the whole thing - the pictures look very intriguing. There's nothing like catching up with old friends - except making new ones!

LZ Blogger said...

It's really nioce when old friends are still GOOD FRIENDS! ~ jb///

Kelli said...

Welcome home! How wonderful to be able to go back to your old school and catch up with a special friend! I enjoyed all of the pictures!
Kelli

Lei said...

How fun Tammy! I love keeping it touch/reconnecting with good old friends. It's just special!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Great pictures! Old friends are the best. :>)

Nadine said...

I would have loved to have met with you if I would have known. I was there (Pike's Market) on Friday. I was headed home on Sunday.

Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful story!! That is just amazing that you two were able to hook up again and have such a wonderful time together despite the headache. I'm anxious to hear 'the rest of the story'! Sad that your old homestead was torn down. That would make me sad if my childhood home were gone. Guess I'm just sentimental that way. Glad the girls enjoyed their ride even without the videos. I have one in my car but sometimes I feel we are missing out when the grands just watch it the whole trip. I like them to see the country side like yours did and whatever happened to playing games in the car. We used to have contests on how many horses (or cats, dogs whatever) we would see on the way and things like that.

Anonymous said...

wow, thanks you so much for sharing this. What great memories you made on this trip!! I would love to go back to the school days and see what everybody looked like and what they were doing. Very wonderful post :) I'm coming back for part 2!!

Believer said...

I love how memory lane can bring us familiar faces and places. So glad you enjoyed your visit! It seems Mavis is a hit because her heart is pure and children know that instinctively. Please, keep in touch with her!

Growing with Julia

Dawn said...

So Mavis doesn't have her own family? Neither does my friend I met up with in Minnesota. She turned out to be wonderful as well - after 47 years! It has been a summer of reconnections, hasn't it?

gail@more than a song said...

I remember that story of how your friend found you, so fun. What a trip down memory lane Tammy! Sounds like y'all had a good time and isn't that just the best that she's a Christian too!
I'm impressed with your playground skills, very agile!

Henny Penny said...

I'm smiling. See? :o)