
Tonight's the premiere of High School Musical 2!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!
My girls and I are having our own little popcorn party...
(Can you tell what kind of lunch pail I would have now if I suddenly became eight again? Move over, Partridge Family...)
OK, back to our regularly scheduled post...
Part 2
Sunday morning we awoke semi- bright and early, packed up our stuff, and headed downstairs to the simple continental breakfast before we left the hotel. The girls were in love with our very simple hotel room, and called out emotional farewells to it as we headed down to follow the scent trail of waffles and coffee.
Then... it was off to Seattle, just a short drive away!
We headed into town, but ended up (by accident) at a free museum about the Gold Rush.
We were actually stopping at that corner to sort of get our bearings...but this unexpected museum visit actually proved to be kind of fascinating...I love history, but knew basically nothing about the Gold Rush era!
This museum spotlighted the time where masses of folks boarded from that port in Seattle for Alaska's Klondike- and the excitement and hardships that they all faced- especially the wives and children who followed, trying to reunite with the husbands.
I can understand the pull of family ties and love...but not so sure I'd risk life and limb for 1\1000th of a chance of a little gold. (Striking it rich was a chance in 10,000!)
After this educational little stop, we found out from there how to best find the Seattle Center, and on their advice, parked our car and took a bus most of the way. Because most of the way happened to be in the "free zone" Sunday. We were down to our last few dollars, so free was a very good price.
(And you wouldn't believe how exciting just doing this is when you're 8 and 5 years old, and you never rode a city bus before!)
We decided that just my husband would take the girls into the Pacific Science Center, while I would find a coffee shop and stroll around the area a bit. Being short on cash as we were, I didn't think that both of us needed to pay admission to the science center...
Besides, would you believe my head ache had returned? Yes, it had.
That one little sample of pain pills in our 1st aid kit the day before didn't go very far, so I was on a quest to find some more and down them with a mocha- straight up.
It turned out that this science center was more fabulous that any of us knew, though! They were in there for a total of three hours- going into space capsules, rowing their own canoes through dinosaur infested waters, strolling amongst hundreds of butterflies...




Ok, next Seattle trip it's my turn to go in there!
When they finally emerged from all that fun, there was still no time for rest.
No sirree...Onto the next exciting thing to conquer- which in this case, was the Space Needle, itself!
This was the their first time even seeing it in person, so they were very excited to go to the top!
I was elected to be their escort now and their daddy stayed back down on terra firma.
They loved riding up the glass elevator- and trying to peer through the telescope once they reached the top.
Here's a couple views...
But by now, my poor girls were starving for nourishment (but the rest of the food we brought for the trip was in the car)...so with my couple remaining, pitiful dollars, I purchased a big pastry and a cookie...and we divided them up. Not prime rib, but it was enough to keep us going for awhile longer.And at least they can say that they dined on top of the Space Needle.
Finally, we left Seattle Center to see just a couple more sights. We were headed just a few blocks to catch our "free" bus. Or so we thought...
Look at all our energy, that spring in the step...even after all we've already done! Little did we know that we would have more trouble catching the right bus back...and that we'd pretty much be seeing half of downtown Seattle by foot!

We walked...and walked...and walked.
But finally we came to the famed Pike Place Market.
You know, where the woman with the hyena laugh buys ingredients for dinner with Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle. (I'm just a bit partial to this movie since we saw this on our first blind date!)
(You can see the lighted sign on the right...)As we strolled on through, there were a lot of interesting sights and sounds...
Here we stopped, along with others, to listen to some incredible classical music being played right there on the curb...

And then there were the sights...

Here's a man who likes to hide in his work...
And as for the smells...well, my littlest wasn't exactly crazy about all those fishy smells at first. (I wish I had a picture of her holding her nose!)
We kept wondering what they were really thinking about this big, colorful, open-air market...it was obvious that we weren't "in Kansas anymore"...
Finally, it was time to move on. From there we walked...and walked...and whined...and walked...
We saw all sorts of wonderful transportation passing us by...
There was this...
And this...
And even this...
But still, we trudged on ahead, troopers that we were.
When we finally arrived back at the car, it was a happy moment indeed.
And even better a little while later when we stopped for burgers and fries- and a nice big Dr. P*pper for me.
It had been way too long in life since I tasted a Dr. P*pper. Way. too. long.
As you can imagine, the girls promptly fell asleep in the back seat on our way back...
and after coming home, my youngest promptly handed over her previous virus to me, wherein I can no longer talk above a whisper. (A mommy who can only whisper- lucky them!)
Hence, the long post you are once again reading this week...I can talk all I want this way- you lucky ducks, you! ;)
One last thing...on Tuesday, the 14th, it was the 14th anniversary of my first date with my husband...seeing the movie, Sleepless in Seattle on that first date. 14th on the 14th...and just in Seattle. So guess what we all watched Tuesday night? (Three guesses...come on, I know you can do it!) ;)
So, if you came along with me, so to speak, on our whirlwind weekend journey, I thank you.
And look- you don't even have sore feet or a nasty virus! So much easier this way, wasn't it?
In all seriousness, I am so thankful that our family had this trip together. Not every single moment was wonderful, and it came at a time where our budget was a bit tight.
But finding my old friend from third grade...hanging upside down on the monkey bars with my children where I once played...watching the forests and countryside pass by our windows...and showing our girls a new city for the first time...
all were, as the commercial says...
Priceless.








32 comments:
Amazing that you were able to find your way around like you did. I'm glad you had such a wonderful though tiring adventure, but too bad you picked up that nasty virus from my littlest granddaughter. She is generous & loves to share, but the germs you could do without. It was neat seeing all those places I remembered from when we lived up there.
When you think about it, you would have missed a lot of wonderful things if you'd caught the bus back.
Sorry about the virus. We are sick here too. Sigh.
Yes we have our PVR all set to record in case for some silly reason we do not get to High School Musical on time. My oldest two are conveniently working so they don't have to be here. But my youngest is a wee bit excited.
What a great mini holiday. That looks like one cool science museum. And a ride to the top of the Space Needle had to be extra special. And in spite of the whine it will be something they will always remember.
Yay for HSM2!!! My kids and I can't wait. Even my hubby wants to watch it with us! I thinks it's nice that the kids have something decent to watch for a change. It's so hard in today's world to find something that is not offensive to our Lord!
Enjoy tonight!
When I saw that High School Musical 2 was coming on, I totally thought about you. Hope you enjoy!
Tammy, It felt as if I was right there with you on every step. Seattle is a wonderful place to spend free time and a few days. Did you get to Pioneer Square where you can do the Underground Tour? Next time....
What a wonderful trip. So much in a short time.
I have heard of that Pike's Market and would love to go myself someday.
Healing on your household!!!
You gave your girls a wonderful adventure and some priceless memories all on a budget. Good for you!!
The last time we sailed from Seattle we went to Pike's Market. What a wonderful slice of life to be found there!
I went to the World's Fair in Seattle in 1962, but didn't go up in the space needle. The line was unbelievably long!
Hope you feel better soon.
xoxo
That looks and sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go there.
Oh how I loved Seattle. These piccies brought back lots of good memories! So glad you all had fun!
HSM2!! Tonight!!! Grace and I are having our own popcorn party!
Hugs,
Sue
That's what I call a fun packed day.
Susan
Wow...great photos!! I love it that you shared so many wonderful experiences.
:-) Susan
You sure saw and did a lot on this trip! And a lot of walking too! Sounds like everyone was a good sport about it though. Too bad you caught your little one's virus, that kind of stinks! At least we got to 'visit' all the places that you went to without all the walking! Hope you feel better soon! MM
I have never been to Seattle but my hubby used to live there. it look like you had a great trip.
I hope you are feeling better by now.
Hugs!
Oh, how was the musical?
What a wonderful trip to give your girls. They got to see so much.
But I have to tell you that by the time you got to your car after all that walking I was famished and my feet were hurting. Sympathy pains!
I enjoyed your trip to Seattle. I feel like I have been on a little mini-vacation with you! A great adventure!
Thank you for sharing it.
Two of our grands and their parents are visiting tonight they got here in time to see part of HSM2. Big fans!
i am sporting my high school musical tee shirt right now... the people tonight at costco must've thought i was some teeny-bopper wanna-be. :)
but, hey, it was a fun movie and a really cute shirt... and only $4.88 in the juniors' department at walmart!:):):)
from our motel room, I could see the space needle, down town, and Mt Rainier.
And you were down there leaving a bit of your soul (I mean sole... of your shoe.....)
I can't believe I missed you there. You got great shots of Pike's Market and the view from the Space Needle.
I hope you enjoyed your movie. Have a nice weekend.
I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading your travel log. It sounds like a wonderful trip. The last time I was in Seattle was when my nephew was born...that would be about 40 years ago...I was truly a very young aunt...really I was. He and his wife and young son are still in the Seattle area!
Wow, these are amazing pictures!
Oh Tammy, I so enjoyed reading Parts 1 & 2 of your trip...it sounded fabulous!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to go back to childhood places and have your own children see and do things you used to when you were their age?!! Also meeting up with a school friend...I love the pictures of you two!! Any time I go on a trip, I always end up doing so much walking so I know how your poor feet were feeling...my bones actually ache, never mind the blisters! lol Then to also go up the Space Needle, Science Center and other parts of Seattle....lots of fun:-) I do hope you're feeling much better reallll soon!! xox
wow what a trip! and you were able to pack so much into Sunday! Sorry the bus was missing and you had to walk all that way back to your car though; but what an amazing time you all had!
That sounds like such a wonderful whirlwind trip. Oh, the sights, sounds, and smells that your girls experienced for the first time.
I LOVE that movie, too, and it's so cool that the dates and times coincided like that. Too cool.
I hope you feel better!!
How did you like HSM2? I thought the story line for the first one was better but I loved the songs on the second!
Definitely priceless!
What a fantastic time you all had revisiting old memories and making new ones.
And I even knew some of the plsces you meant since we were in Seattle in 2002. :)
Hope you're feeling better soon!
So nice to catch up with ya!!
Sounds like a great time!
:)
Thanks for the comment...my kids are older. I have a 20 year old daughter, a 19 year old daughter and a 17 year old son. They loved HSM2! What did you think of it? I caught myself looking at thr Rolling Stone cover the other day and telling my daughter how sexy I thought Zac looked. And then we both looked at each other and got the heebie jeebies! I'm old enough to be his mother! That's just wrong. LOL!
The reason for my therapy and meds is because I have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I just had a hip replacement a month ago and in a few weeks I'm going for my other hip! I'm the bionic woman!
Hope you're having a great weekend!
Great part 2 of your trip! Y'all did a lot of walking! Pike's market is a fun place and your shots from the space needle are good....a great trip!
You must have also watched Sleepless in Seattle along with HSM2!
This was fun to read . . . and I love Sleepless in Seattle!!
Tammy, I really enjoyed reading this story. So glad you had a great weekend with the family. You did so much in just a few days! Precious memories. XO
Oh my goodness that science center looks like so much fun!! The kayak going by the dinosaur...how awesome is that!
Sleepless in Seattle is my 2nd favorite movie of all time.
Post a Comment