Thursday, August 09, 2007

A little home school talk...and then...I'm off!


This week, I was doing some extra house cleaning...partly because we're getting ready to leave for the weekend, and also partly because there's something about suddenly having new carpet- even in just the living room- that makes every other wall and crevice cry out for attention.
I didn't exactly get to every wall and crevice but I did feel like I accomplished a lot...my back especially feels that way!

Before we head out for the weekend, though, I wanted to try to get in on the last day of a series called Back to Homeschool Week hosted by Randi at I have to Say.
Like Randi, I don't spend a lot of time talking about home schooling on my blog...maybe because for me, blogging is sort of my "me" time.
But that is not to say that I don't fully enjoy my role as a home school mom...and I love networking with other home schoolers to see what work for them- and what doesn't!


Today's theme is Curriculum. And it's almost funny that the only topic I am getting in on is the one I feel the least qualified to talk about! Mainly because in the two years we have been home schooling, I have been using a little bit of this... a little bit of that...
But somehow this "hodge-podge" of curriculum has worked for us. Without investing all-out into one set curriculum, we have found out what we like by trial and error. Many other parents have told me that they may like one brand's math, for example, but detest their science. By picking and choosing, it is much easier (and less costly!) for us to switch to another curriculum's workbook in one subject when we need to.

We started two years ago as my oldest was going into first grade. Now, I am about to begin a year with a Kindergartener and a 3rd grader...a little more of a challenge!
But here are a couple of favorites we've discovered:

American Pioneers and Patriots, 2nd edition- Christian Liberty Press. Young readers learn about times in history through the eyes of a fictional child, living in that time...historical overviews, short quizzes, and fun craft suggestions made this a favorite with both my daughter and myself. It says it is for 3rd grade, yet we went through this book a little at a time (I would read aloud) through 1st and 2nd grade, finishing at the end of this past year.

An "over the counter" curriculum that I love is
School Zone. My daughter enjoys these so much...especially the "Scholar" workbooks...i.e. Second Grade Scholar, Deluxe Edition.

So many of our reading curriculum comes from the library...although we have used "readers" also.
And I also supplement a lot from the wonderful resources on the internet. I print off free worksheets quite a bit...one of my favorite place to print off extra math worksheets is
Kidzone. They have fun "theme" pictures that make doing the math exercises a little more fun!

The resources available now through the internet is almost never-ending....not just for worksheets, but for researching something we are learning about together.


Since I at one time wanted to be a teacher, I find that teaching my own children is giving me a wonderful outlet for this desire.
And although some home school parents prefer to have the curriculum all laid out for them (and there is nothing wrong with this at all!) I actually prefer to figure out fun projects to do...to have them pick something that month that we will learn about on the side...or to decide what kind of science project we will try. Sometimes, I'm not feeling all that creative, mind you...but I love the freedom to have that option...and to pick and choose the pieces of curriculum that work best for us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Today will be spent packing and gearing up for our short but exciting weekend in the Seattle area! As most of you all know by now, along with seeing all the wonderful sights, I will also be meeting my long, lost third grade friend- who found me through this blog!
(Oh yeah...must pack camera and battery...)
My brother in law will be looking in on our dog, Mandy...as well as feeding the fishies, too...(that Uncle C....what a guy!)

And when we return, we have to sort of hit the ground running...well, maybe running isn't the right word- since swimming lessons start the very next morning! Three days a week for three weeks! (What was I thinking?!)

If I don't get a chance to come visit you all today, I will "see" you all when I get back! Prayers for safe travels and a rewarding time would so be appreciated!

Blessings!




25 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Have a wonderful, safe and memorable trip.

Hugs!
Kat

Cris said...

Have a safe trip! Enjoy your time there! Blessings.

Amelia Antwiler said...

HodgePodge of curricula is a fantastic way to do things. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tammy, have a wonderful time. I've prayed over your trip and hope it is the best.

BTW, after I homeschooled our boys and went to go through and throw stuff away, I found that the first year was the most creative year. We had so much fun because they were so young that I did not want to "waste" money on a bunch of expensive curriculum.

So we used Saxon math and all of the Little House books as our curriuculum. We did history, reading, science, writing, etc with Laura Ingalls, and math with Mr. Saxon.

Talk about creative! So go for it. Buying a bunch of stuff is not nearly as fun as "this and that" which works for you.

Have a great trip.

Anonymous said...

I like relaxed too. :) And a hodgepodge curriculum usually lets the kids, and you , learn best. :) Have fun! (The people who stick with one curriculum only and refuse to change drive me NUTS! (Only because I was a special ed teacher and hated working with teachers who refused to adjust to the kids needs--but God designed us all and knows what is best for each kid.)

Corrie said...

Hope the trip is WONDERFUL! I love Seattle! Loved the puddle pics, btw.
Corrie =)

Michelle said...

Have a fun and safe trip!!!

Anonymous said...

We gave a hodge-podge too! Over the years we have found some great books and we have scrapped some that we thought were great, and each year we try a couple of new things. It works for us!

Have a great trip!

Karen said...

How fun to meet your friend again! Have a wonderful time, and see you when you get back!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time in Seattle!

Carole Burant said...

I've always admired anyone who can homeschool their children...I don't know if I could have done it!! And Tammy? I've been reading your blog for over a year now and I didn't realize you were home schooling! LOL Sheesh! Have a wonderful trip, I can imagine how excited you are about meeting your friend again after all these years:-) xox

Dawn said...

I can't wait to hear and see about your trip down memory lane - it is SO much fun!!

Swimming lessons - we need to do that big time.

I have so much regard for you homeschooling moms!

Henny Penny said...

In Seattle... You know what I'm singing, right? LOL

Have fun! Praying for a safe journey!

Believer said...

Have a great weekend. Enjoy, because the real fun begins when you get back! Three mornings a week, you were certainly zoning out when you made that commitment.

Growing with Julia

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
Sending you lots of ((hugs)) and prayers for a wonderful reunion with Marci! Can't wait to hear all about it.
xoxo

Hanley Family said...

Hodge podge is great! It helps take the best of everything. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Tammy and Parker said...

I will be homeschooling Parker starting this Fall. I need to get a plan figured out.

Hope your trip is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love my layovers in Seattle. Have a great time!

Believer said...

You've been nominated for an award!

Growing with Julia

groovyoldlady said...

I homeschooled the first two kiddos right up through highschool. Now I've got 1st(ish) and 3rd(ish) graders and over the years I have learned something about myself.

I am ecclectic! (I know you are completely shocked;-)).

Use what works, and when it don't work no more, SWITCH!

Have a lovely get away!

Nancy said...

I admire you for teaching your kids at home. I was a teacher for 32 years and never felt like I was discplned enough, or knowledgable enough to do it for my kids.

I hope you have a great trip. Look forward to those swimming lessons... it is a much needed activity. All kids should learn to love and respect the water. Enjoy!

Nadine said...

I hope you have a great time. Funny I'm in Seattle this weekend also.

Susannah said...

Lol, I hope you enjoy our fair city. How wonderful that you'll be meeting with your long, lost third grade friend-who actually found you through this blog! God works in mysterious ways. :~)

ruth said...

Hm don't know how I missed this one until now. I'm waiting for those pictures & to hear all about your trip & reunion with Mavis.

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I hope you are having/have had a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear the details.

I wrote your name in buttons if you'd like to play along. If not, that is ok too. But come see your name.