Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Golden Half Century Ago...



For My Parents....




This month would have marked a very special anniversary.

And just because my dad is no longer here on earth, I couldn't let the month completely slip by without paying tribute to it...and my parents.

Because, if my dad were still alive, this month of August would have marked their
50th Anniversary.

My parents met at a little phone booth, on the corner of Hollywood and Vine. My dad was at the end of a very bitter divorce process, feeling both lost and lonely. When he saw my sweet mom, an innocent and very-young-for-thirty gal using the phone, something compelled him to try and meet her.
And my mom, very cautious and a little shy....saw something in this tall, handsome and rather lonely looking man...and actually agreed to a date!
She claims this was totally out of character for her. But she did insist, that because it was going to be a Sunday, their first date be to church.

(You can read more about this part of their story from my mom, herself, written on her blog in this post.)

So, began a whirlwind romance...and they were soon married just several months after meeting, in August, 1957.

Well, at least the first time.

No, they weren't divorced later, but because this first marriage ceremony was an elopement in Mexico, where my parents strained to understand the quickie ceremony performed in Spanish, they agreed to have a real wedding later that year in December.



Things were not so easy. There were financial issues, health issues (each of them became very ill right from the start, but thankfully recovered) ...and then there were those issues that come when one spouse has been divorced and has children.

My mom's new step-daughters were about nine and fourteen, and surprisingly, it was the youngest that seemed to have the most bitter spirit; a heart that seemed impossible for my mom to reach.
Looking at this from my now adult perspective, I can only imagine how difficult this transition was for all of them involved...but I do know that my mom has always had a tender heart, and I know how hard she must have tried.

Not quite a year later, still newlyweds, my parents spent their first entire summer as man and wife within the walls of their little trailer house....with his two daughters!

Let's just say it gave a whole new meaning of close quarters.

Here is my mother, above, in front of the "infamous" trailer house. I love this picture of her...I would look at it as a child and think how pretty she was!

Somehow, everyone survived...but there were other issues that challenged their marriage.
She wanted a child...my dad, after seeing the bitterness of his own children toward him following the divorce, did not.
Mom mom pleaded, prayed ...and even contemplated leaving him. She spoke with their pastor, who in turn had a heart to heart with my father.
It was God using this talk, that I believe ultimately lead...five years after their wedding...

to me!

I heard that in spite of his initial reluctance to be a father again, it was love at first sight.


In the almost 31 years that my parents were married, up until he passed away in 1988, their lives were challenged with so many different kinds of hurdles.

The two worst were his years of alcoholism, and later, his kidney disease.
But I do know that after my father returned to the Lord, God was with them, strengthening their marriage and making it better than it had been when they were young.


My parents even became ministers, getting their license and pastoring a tiny church as well as mistering to those in prisons.
Even in the last four years of his life, when illness began to take a toll on his body, he continued to try and work, and minister to others...which became a legacy of his determination, love and faith.
My mom, also showed her faithfulness to him by not holding past sins against him...but completely forgiving and loving him, unconditionally.

As I look back over their marriage- both before I came along and afterward, I am now beginning to see something a little more clearly.
There were the trouble years, times filled with turmoil, there is no doubt...
But but the big picture I am seeing is that God's mercy was there all the time.
When they asked for it, He gave it abundantly...redeeming their lives and their marriage.



I'm so glad they didn't give up on their marriage during those very hard years... which they could have easily done.

Because, with God, all things are possible.
And for them, the best was yet to be.

My mom recently turned 80, and he has been gone from her life for the past 19 years.
I know she still misses him incredibly.
But she knows she will see him again one day.

In the meantime, his memories continue to dwell with us.

So, because of this, I wish you, my sweet Mom and Dad,

A Happy Golden Anniversary.

Until you meet again...

36 comments:

Nadine said...

That was such a moving tribute to your parents. I love the wedding picture. How wonderful that they survived the hard years.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

What a precious story! Happy Golden Wedding Anniversary to your Mom and Dad!

Love and hugs,

Diane

ruth said...

I was going to shut down my computer but decided to check your blog first. Tammy that was such a beautiful tribute & it brought back so many memories as I looked at the pictures. Our little trailer was a 35 ft one bedroom with a couch in the tiny living room, which indeed mad for close quarters for all of us. I hadn't been thinking about the fact that it was 50 years August 9th for the Mexican one & Dec 15 for the special one. My sister graciously offered her dress she had worn the year before which fit perfectly ( it was longer on me) & we were married at her home. The greatest blessing came 5 years later when you arrived & made our life complete.
LUV MOM

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. :o)

Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents!

Anonymous said...

This was so beautiful. I love the way you admit that no one is perfect, but God redeems us all. And what a wonderful hope for the future we, as believers, have.

Blessings to your mom!

Karen said...

What a lovely legacy of determination, love, and faithfulness to leave you. I love to hear success stories.
Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents!

Christie Belle said...

What a beautiful story. The pictures are wonderful, and the devotion that you spoke of is so admirable. Happy 50th to your parents!

Carole Burant said...

Such a beautiful post dear Tammy and a true legacy to your parents. You look so much like your mom...in that first picture, she could be you!! My heart went out to your mom when I read about the hard years and her two step daughters being so bitter...shows how much she loved your dad to withstand all that and stay! Happy Golden Anniversary to your mom and dad!!! xoxo

someone else said...

What a precious story and testimony to the commitment of marriage. They certainly went through a lot, but their determination was admirable.

And you were an adorable baby!!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This was so beautiful! I am sure the Lord is well pleased with how you have honored your Father and Mother.
I just loved hearing of God's redemptive work in their lives. What a beautiful testimony to all of us.

Corrie said...

How special! You chronicled their relationship so well. I loved reading about how God faithfully brought them through so many struggles and eventually used them to minister to those in prison, etc. What a legacy! God doesn't call perfect people. He is our perfector and our equipper! Amen.
Your mother was such a beautiful young woman. You look just like her!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

What a beautiful post!
Last year would have been my parents 50th ... if Mom were here.
Thanks for sharing!

Sandy

ruth said...

I just have to add this footnote. Lest anyone thinks things stayed the same as that first year, I have had a wonderful relationship with my step daughters through the years & still do.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Nancy said...

Tammy what a beautiful love story. This is such a tribute to their marriage and a reflection of your love for them. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

What a sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes.
Susan

Susie Q said...

Such a moving and loving tribute and we are so honored to be able to share in this.
I loved reading it all and seeing the pictures. They were blessed with a wonderful daughter!

Hugs,
Sue

Kelli said...

Such a beautiful tribue! Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents!

Hugs,
Kelli

Robin Green said...

That is a precious story and a wonderful tribute to your parents. So sorry they weren't able to celebrate the day together. I loved the old pictures.

gail@more than a song said...

That's so sweet Tammy! And such a beautifully written tribute to your parents, love the pics too. I think you look a little like your mom in the one of her by the trailer.
That sorta reminds me about that old movie, The Long Trailer I think it is!

Brenda said...

I've got tears in my eyes. What a lovely tribute to your parents!

Pamela said...

It is the troubles that make things stronger..... if thats the path one chooses.

Too many give up too quickly.

(I linked to your mom one day on my blog -- but forgot to tell you guys. It's been a few months ago)

Dawn said...

I am so glad you did this for your mom. I thought so much about my MIL this year on what would have been their 66th anniversary - and the first one without him. Hard time.

Myrna said...

What a loving tribute to your parents.

Carolanne said...

This was a beautiful and encouraging post. Makes me stop and think when I see marriages struggling to survive - God can heal broken marriages, broken people. He can turn it around for His good!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Very sweet! I see a resemblance. :>)

Susannah said...

This is a wonderful story of love, endurance, and faith. Tammy, you're so blessed to have been raised by these two precious people. No wonder you turned out so well. Happy Golden Anniversary! :~)

Michelle said...

what a great tribute to your parents, and a happy 50th to them indeed - even if your dad isn't around to celebrate with.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

How thoughtful of you to remember this for your mom and to write out their story.

God IS so merciful and gracious. What a great reminder this story is to that:)

Linda said...

Tammy - what a beautiful way to remember your Dad. Their lives are a tribute to love and grace and, as you've said, God's infinite mercy. Isn't it a joy to know that this isn't all there is. There is so much more to come. Some day we will all be together where none of the sorrows and hurts will mar our happiness.
This was so lovely.

groovyoldlady said...

Can somebody pass me a tissue, please?

Cyndi said...

Wow, wow, wow. This blessed my heart in a big way, today! I am so glad you shared this, and that the Lord prompted me to stop by and read it. :)

Justabeachkat said...

Oh Tammy! What a beautifully written and touching post! Very sweet.

I've been out of town, so I've enjoyed "catching up" on reading your blog this afternoon.

Hugs!
Kat

Cris said...

Tammy, what a beautiful tribute to faith, hope and love. So sweet.

Jill said...

Tammy- I remembered your mother is the same age as mine, from the fun post you wrote this summer (along with the great photos). I just simply loved, loved this story about their faithfullness through difficult times. I will always remember this post. Such a loving tribute to them both. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us.

Believer said...

God's love, grace and mercy is a testament to the lives of your mom and dad. What an example to those who knew them to be faithful and endure! Galatians 6:9

Growing with Julia