
Thanks so much for the well-wishes...I'm still not 100%, but am feeling much better! Hope those of you who were also sick are on the mend, too!
I feel like we just went from ultra-fabulous musical dance numbers...to wagon wheels and prairie bonnets, all in a span of 24 hours.
You see, my girls have been sort of wanting to watch High School Musical 2 again after we recorded it.
Just a few times.
And of course, when one of my favorite numbers would come on, it wasn't my fault that I would need to stroll through the room about then, and suddenly need to put my feet up.
But when they felt the need to put on a mini-version of the show for their daddy and me, and I seemed to hear the soundtrack in my head and in my dreams...I knew I was glad that the field trip with our new home school group which I had planned was finally here.
So...we suddenly stepped back in time and onto the Oregon Trail! The girls wore their most old-fashioned type dresses and donned their prairie bonnets (taken off from time to time)...and we spent a great learning time looking at actual artifacts brought over on the wagons and watching some pretty interesting films and presentations.
And of course, there's nothing like getting to hold a genuine buffalo chip!

(This little child's chair sitting in a wagon was actually brought over by one of the families on the trail.) 

Later that day, I suggested we follow up with our time there by doing some....(shhh...homework.)
My five year old drew our family in a covered wagon, while I had my eight year old pretend to be a girl on the Oregon Trail and write a journal page, just like the real travelers sometimes did.
She said she would do this, only if I did one too. Since we're not officially back to school yet, I was being a little easy-going with this, so I agreed to her
Here's a sampling of hers, complete with a few spelling errors:
"Yesterday we saw a lot of buffalo. My brother, James, wanted to cach one. My mother said he cold go outside the wagon but if he took 5 steps away from it, he'd wold have to sit in the back!"
Good for you, Ma! I like a pioneer woman who knows how to keep her kids in line.
(And not bad writing, I have to say!)
Here's a tiny bit of mine...
August 24th, 1857
"Just when I was pinin' away for my special china and things, my long-time friend surprised me on this my birthday. She had taken some of my keepsakes amongst her own...things I had to leave behind, saying' We just have our one youngin'- you have three. I could make room for a couple of plates and a figurine.' Not a better friend could I ever want for."
I was sitting in the living room with her, hurriedly scribbling this out- and thinking I was all clever with my wording...but of course she didn't understand half of what I was talking about. ;)
Anyway, it was good to "go out on the trail" today and away from modern life.
Still, musical phrases keep dancing through my brain, even now...

"We're going to have fun-in-the-sun...now that all our hard work...work...is done..."
Nothing like having each foot a couple centuries apart in one day to make you feel a little dazed.
How I wish I could dive into that pool with those crazy teens for that big finale.
But I'll have to settle for just pretending for the time being, as I dive, instead, into my big pile of laundry.
Have a great rest of the week to all of you!








26 comments:
LOVE that lil chair. It's the real pieces of history that get me all goosefleshy!
Hmm... You never struck me as the pinin' type... I know for a fact that I would have been thrown out of the wagon.
I love pioneer museums. I can't believe the treks they used to make with so little and the hardships they faced. What brave people.
In a pool with a bunch of teens? MMM? think I'll just watch that from the relative safety of my couch. ;v)
Sounds like a really cool fieldtrip! Hey, you are peaking my curiousity...I'm going to have to see these movies you are talking about. I guess I haven't seen them because my children are all so little. I'm sort of out of touch with the latest...
Glad you are feeling a little better!
That was such a fun post. I loved the field trip and had to giggle at your journal entry. I give you an A+.
YOu know, I have 3 boys, all pretty grown, and no excuse to have HSM going on 24/7 at my house. Never seen it. I guess I should rent it some evening.
Hm that gives me an idea. I would like the girls to e-mail me what they would have liked best & what they wouldn't have liked about being a pioneer child taveling in their covered wagon. Nammy would have loved to have been with you & the girls on your field trip since as you know,I love History so much.
What a fun trip! I had a bonnet when I was little, and I loved it! Both your stories are wonderful, and how fun that you participated with her. I am sure that made her day!
I guess cause I don't have any kids in the house any more I'm not up on the latest craze. That musical must be good for the kids to want to watch it so much! You sure went from one extreme to the other with your pioneer adventure! I liked your 'journal' that was cute. Glad you're feeling a bit better but going to the zoo for 5 hours couldn't have helped! You should have been in bed! Now listen to Dr. Midlife Mom! ha! The zoo pictures were great though!
Great sounding field trip! I like the "journal entries" you both came up with.
I'm glad you're feeling better.
Ah yes, the high school musiCAL. We're into the re-running of it as well.
I want to come to your house to play! You're a very fun mama!
Hope you're feeling much better soon.
Thank you for your prayers for my sweetie this week. It was a bit scary.
Hi Tammy,
What an enjoyable way to teach history!
That B&W photo is so sweet..
So glad you're feeling better, now don't overdo!!
xo
I so wish I could have gone with you on that field trip...I love anything to do with the pioneer days:-) Looking at that little chair, it makes you wonder what the little boy or girl who sat in it looked like! Both you and the girls look so sweet in your bonnets, love them!! xox
You seemed to have created your own living history by attempting to dress in clothes somewhat authentic for the times. That surely helped your girls get into that period of history. I love history myself especially when it is re-enacted.
We live just minutes away from a historic farm from the late 1800's. It is a working farm with livestock, crops, gardens, and even bee hives. We go there frequently. They almost always have something special going on during the weekends. Things you can participate in. The demonstrators and tour guides dress authentically which makes the experience come alive.
The best of several centuries, hmmm??
I don't know anything about HSM1 or 2, but I love reading and learning about history, especially the pioneers. I like your bonnets too. I have several that were my husband's Granny's, handmade by her, and I've sewn and made several for me and Jessica over the years.
I don't know why but it always seems worse to me to be sick in the summer. I guess I associate being sick with winter time and cold weather.
Hope you continue to recover quickly. I think I'm finally over my tummy bug.
Thank you for your sweet words about Emmy. Grandmas eat that up, you know, LOL! ;D
Love and hugs,
Diane
This post was just wonderful! I love the pioneer bits and bobs and gosh, here was still just the right amount of HSM added to make it all silly fun!
This was such a joy to read!
Hugs,
Sue
We have HSM but I have never watched it. I'm going to have to pull it out and give it a go since you recommend it so highly. I bought it for the grands, but I'm not sure they have watched it here.
It sounds like your field trip was a success. Loved the journal entry. I agree with Becky on your grade!
My grandmother was born in 1879 ... and she crossed from Michigan to colorado, utah, and then Idaho in a covered wagon.
Her sister had a diary... some of which I have published on my blog.
"Aunt Hattie's Diary"....
they treated illnesses with herbs and other things they found along the way
We have a farm here in Maine caled "Norlands". You can go there on day visits or even for a 2 day "camp" and they have you live and work just as was done in the late 1700's. My girls used a wringer and scrub board, checked chamber pots, baked cookies in a woodstove, etc. Awesome place!
We haven't seen any new musicals, but those VBS songs...I sometimes wonder if buying the cd of the music was a GOOD idea!
What fun... you are one creative mom! I am glad you are better.
Hi Tammy, thanks for visiting my blog today! I love this post. There is nothing like experiencing what you are learning!
what a fun time you guys are having!
tammy
I went and looked for aunt hattie's journal and only found PART 1 has been published.
I guess I haven't posted the rest.
My grandmother was "Grace". Hattie's little half sister. Grace's married a man 20 plus years her senior in Colorad and they headed out in a covered wagon for Idaho with three little ones.
Hi Tammy, thanks for visiting me today. I really felt your heart in your comment that you wrote me :)
Abby studied the OR Trail last year in 4th grade, and she made a really cool covered wagon and all the items inside with sculpy (clay that you form, then bake). It was a wonderful experience for her.
Sandy
That's my kind of field trip Tammy. I love that time period. In fact I'm reading a book set in just a little bit later in history right now. I'm a Little House on the Prairie fan. Of course I don't think I would actually want to go back to that time and live - I just love reading about it.
Sounds like a lot of fun :)
Thanks for visiting my blog and feel free to join the fun of schoolin' in pajamas!
Have a wonderful weekend!
~Tamara
www.TrainingHearts.com
Looks like a fun trip! I would have to pass on the buffalo chip though.
Everyone seems to be loving HSM2!
What a great way to learn. I've always loved stories about traveling by wagon wheels. It was an amazing time in our history.
Hugs!
Kat
Post a Comment