Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ice Castles in the Air


***Stay tuned...the 2nd monthly Home School Open House is next Tuesday the 25th
(not the 24th- correction!) and I'm hoping many more of you join in! And to sweeten the pot, I'm going to be doing a giveaway!*** (Yes, I'm resorting to bribery.) ;)



It seems my "blog fog" drifted down and settled in for the rest of the week.
Because I was just totally post-less.

But we did have an interesting and fairly nice week.

On Thursday, we met up with our home school group for afternoon ice skating!
My oldest had taken lessons years ago, but I wasn't sure how my six year old would do.
But the rollerblading she did this summer paid off, because she surprised even herself!

Sasha Cohen, move over...

Or, for those of us over 40, Dorothy Hamill...

Only without the haircut.

(Or for those over 75, Sonia Hennie....
)


Although she wasn't quite floating over the ice like Dorothy here, she was so good that not only did I
not have to hold her up, but she started skating around with some actual speed while her mommy got to sit on the bleachers for a break and chat!



But I'll tell you a secret...I hadn't ice skated in about six or seven years, so at first I was even shakier than my six year old. The teens zoomed past me as I hovered close to the wall and they would ask me sweetly if it was my first time skating...sigh.

But by the fifth time around the rink, I was actually zooming around too, thank you very much! And it felt soooo good! Kind of like I wasn't as over the hill as my birth certificate might indicate.
In my mind's eye, as I got just a little better each time around the bend, I was no longer an old mommy but a graceful Olympic hopeful, gliding over the ice...

I know, that's Sasha...but if I had been dressed in yellow, it would have been so me.


So, what about you...have you ever ice skated?

13 comments:

Susannah said...

Yes!!! I've ice skated many, many times. In Canada (my homeland) winter sports like hockey and "figure" skating are very popular. I took lots of lessons, and my Mom was a teacher. I haven't been in ages, though. Maybe I'll lace up my old skates this winter. :~D

Fun post... I remember Dorothy Hamill (and her famous haircut) very well!!!

Susan said...

Good for you for getting out there, Tammy.
Susan

Midlife Mom said...

Ice skating used to be the main form of entertainment for us when I was growing up. When you live in a town of 400 and an hour from the nearest big town you make your own fun. We LOVED to skate even though our toes would sometimes almost freeze before we were finished. We did make nice bonfires and that was nice plus the hot chocolate. I have been tempted to go to the rink here in town but I don't want a broken hip so I quickly put the idea out of my mind! My grand kids love to skate and even played hockey for a while. That was fun but I froze at the games! Good for you for getting out there and going for it! You are still young so enjoy all of these things!! xoxox

Pink Slippers said...

Just too cute.

Linda said...

What fun Tammy! I used to ice skate all the time. We had a neighborhood pond that we used to clear of snow outselves. Then someone would build a big bonfire nearby and we were set for a day of skating.
However...the thought of getting on skates these days is rather intimidating. I think I would provide great amusement for anyone who happened to be watching!

Susanne said...

I used to love to skate, but got out of it later in life. Then came my kids and skates were once again on my feet. And I was shakey at first too. But mostly because in the back of my mind I knew the older I was the harder the fall and the longer to get myself up off the ice. LOL. But it wasn't as bad as when I had to go skiing with them. Now that tooks days to recover. LOL.

Carole Burant said...

All we Canadians learn to skate before we can walk! lol Seriously, though, we do start skating as soon as we're old enough...I remember owning my first pair of skates when I was 3 years old:-) I skated a lot until I was in my later teen years and then again when my boys were little. I'd bring them skating every Friday evening at the arena behind our place. Nowadays I haven't skated for about 10 years so I'd probably disgrace myself! lol Sounds like you all had a great day...will I be seeing you all in the next Olympics??? hehe xoxo

Dawn said...

I used to go to the rink when we lived in International Falls, Minnesota. Every kid went to the neighborhood rink after supper. I hated the cold and spent most of my time in the warming house.

But I LOVE watching the figure skaters - Dorothy is my all time favorite. Kristen used to love to play she was Dorothy. I read a book about Carol Heiss when I was in grade school and fell in love with the idea of skating after that - but not the actuality!

Now roller skating - I'm not good at it, either, but did get engaged on roller skates, as you may recall!

Robin said...

I could always ice skate in my mind. When I was little and we would watch ice skating during the Olympics, I would always go out on our porch and pretend I was skating. That was such fun.

My girls like to skate, but we haven't had many opportunities for it. The last time they skated, our backyard had flooded and then froze, so they skated around in our yard. Maybe, it will happen again this year.
Have a blessed day.
~Robin

Nadine said...

You go Tammy! I haven't skated since I was in my 20's. I don't believe I would have been brave enough to put on a pair of skates.

gail@more than a song said...

In the deep south we don't get have any places to ice skate! But I think I got to a time or 2 when I was little but wasn't very good at it. Nothing is really cold enough to freeze around here!

Michelle said...

I totally had a Dorothy Hamill haircut! LOL

sounds like it was a great time for everyone!

Anonymous said...

The last time I ice skated, I fell and hit my head. Knocked myself out cold. I was about 9.

If I'd only had that lil yellow number, I'm sure my skills would have improved. ;o)