
Today I'm participating in my first Show & Tell Friday! I have been wanting to do this for ages...and hopefully, I'll be doing lots more! It's hosted by Kelli, at "No Place Like Home". She says,
"Welcome to Show and Tell Friday! Do you have a something special to share with us? It could be a trinket from grade school, a piece of jewelry, an antique find. Your show and tell can be old or new. Use your imagination and dig through those old boxes in your closet if you have to! Feel free to share pictures and if there's a story behind your special something, that's even better!"
For my first show and tell, I want to show you something I ran across as I was doing all that organizing a few weeks ago. Remember- when my family was off camping, gallivanting, and have a general good time? Well, in my box of mementos, I found this little booklet- a Brownie friendship booklet, to be exact- which I have kept all these years!
And what makes this especially significant to me right now, you may ask?No...it's not that my own daughter is now a Brownie...(I could hear some of you thinking...good guess, by the way!) She is Brownie age, but up until now she have been busy with other activities...
No, what makes this significant is a special reunion I have coming up.
Do any of you remember this post?
OK, go take a quick peek and come right back. I'll wait right here...
Are you back? That was quick! Groovy, right?
You might remember that awhile later, I wrote this post..."Out of the Past."
Look closely at this blurry closeup of the first page in my little friendship book...

I'm still completely reeling all these months later...only in my wildest dreams did I imagine one of my long, lost third grade friends would actually stumble onto my post. And contact me just one week later.
Amazing...a miracle, actually.
Next weekend, my family will be making a weekend trip to the Seattle area to see the sights...and where she and I will finally meet after all these years.
We have not seen one another since the summer after third grade- the very grade my own little girls is entering this year!
But back to my little friendship book...let's look at Mavis' friendship page, shall we...

You can see here some very pertinent information...top secret...and my delicate eight year old penmanship!
Seems her favorite sport at the age of 8 was...football? Hmmm....
And her favorite hobby was riding horses...somehow, I don't remember her riding horses back then, or having her own coral...
And her favorite color was blue. Mine too! Maybe that why we were the best of friends! ;)
Funny, when we were arranging our reunion for this month, I had this nagging feeling that I was remembering her birthday was in August...but how could I possibly have remembered that all these years? Probably it was this scribbled out, misspelled word next to her birthday month that was ingrained in my mind!
I remember our countless sleepovers, the pool they had built in their back yard (much to my excitement!) and, of course, our dance routine. To this day, I have not been able to hear "Cherokee People" without thinking of the fun we had trying to memorize and coordinate our little eight year old feet.
And I remember one particular time in class when we had become especially chatty, and my beloved Mrs. S. had to separate us -but only by one desk. We were in the front row so she could keep an eye on us, but we stretched our hands together behind the desk and giggled...such girlhood innocence.
I think I even saw Mrs. S. smile with humor at us as she kept talking to the class...
But all of this fun was packed into only one year of friendship...her family sold the house with the newly built pool and moved out of state before the start of fourth grade.
Fast-forward life like pushing a button on the remote....teens, 20's, 30's...and now- 40's. Yes, exactly 35 years- probably to the month- have gone by since we saw each other last. Since then, she remained just a nice memory of my childhood...the friend you always wonder what became of them when they grew up...
To actually sit down with her over coffee...and later have my family join us for dinner...well, you can imagine how I am feeling. A little nervous...but mostly very, very excited...knowing how completely blessed we are to have this chance!
We are now mature adult women...she with a lucrative and exciting career...myself, as a home-educator with loving husband two young daughters.
Completely different paths...but hopefully, somewhere down deep, where it really counts...we're the same silly little girls who chatted during class and sang along to The Partridge Family's greatest hits.
Only next weekend, we'll get to sing those hits over double mochas...








34 comments:
This is such a wonderful show and tell, Tammy! Not only is this a sweet keepsake book but how neat to come into contact again with your special friend from so many years ago...I love all the little things you wrote down!! I hope you have a wonderful time catching up and I can't wait to hear all about it!!
Kelli
P.s Thank you for coming by my Open House today!
Welcome to Show and Tell. I love tha Kelli had this great idea! It is one of my favorite blogging activities!
How great that your friend found your blog--and even greater that you will be seeing each other soon! I know you will have a story to tell after that weekend.
What an incredible First show and tell! I love this. I was a brownie scout in 1973-1975, and loved it.
I am so happy for the connection and would love to read more!!
I remember the Brownie Friendship Book. How fun...You really sparked some memories in my mind about my Brownie days.
Take care,
Connie
Mine is up.
I think it is especially great that you will be seeing your friend in the same month as her birthday. You will have to find out the date. Be sure to take along your Brownine Friendship book to show her. I ran across your G.S. vest with all the badges on it so will have to give that to you.
This is one fantastic show & tell! [I too have participated for the first time]
Have a great time and enjoy your friend.
How wonderful that she contacted you from your blog and now you are going to see each other. Look forward to that blog!!!
Susan
what a great treasure.
What a great story for show and tell. I am still fascinated by that first post where your friend found your blog. It's wonderful that you will reconnect very soon. What a treasure.
XO
Isn't our God awesome?!
What fun to find each other again and what a great little treasure you found. I think it would be fun to take it with you and get a picture of you both taken with it. Maybe the two of you could add more info to the book and later you could put the photo in it too.
Can't wait to hear all about your meeting. Exciting!
Happy Friday.
Hugs!
Kat
What a neat story! And how exciting that you are going to be able to get together after all this time. Thanks for sharing!
Fun memories. Have fun in my favorite city this weekend!
Welcome to Show & Tell! That is so neat that you'll be able to see your childhood friend again! You'll have to post pictures of the two of you and tell us all about your visit! :-)
I remember those Brownie Friendship books from back when my daughter was a Brownie. I also remember your post about Mavis. How wonderful that you'll be meeting again after all these years. We'll be waiting to hear all about it!
Have a wonderful weekend my dear friend!
xo
That is so cool. I can't wait to hear all about your little reunion. I hope you can talk until you are tired of talking. Such fun!
That's a wonderful treasure. I hope your meeting will be everything you want it to be. I have an old childhood friend that I've been completely unsuccessful at finding and I'd love to see her again.
Welcome to Show and Tell. It's a lot of fun.
I'm so glad you joined us for Show & Tell, dear Tammy...what a fabulous post for your first one:-) I'm sooo very excited for you and Mavis...just remember, we'll want pictures!! lol The Brownie book is such a treasure to still have and the memories you shared with us of Mavis are priceless!! xox
What an amazing story, and how special for you to have found this little momento. I hope you have a wonderful reunion!
Blessings,
Mrs. C
What a neat story. I pray you have a wonderful time of fellowship.
Thanks for sharing and may you and your family have a blessed weekend.
Hugs, Lyndy
Welcome to Show and Tell. I just love it. Kelli's great.
Your little books is a great treasure. I hope you have a good reunion. I was organizing a few weeks ago, have a little to go, and found some things I'd forgotten about. It fun to find things from the past.
What a special treasure, and what a neat story!
What a treasure! This is something for your girls to keep and look through later. So sweet.
What a cool show an dtell. YOu are blessed to still have that, and to have found a long lost friend. What a wonderful story.
What a great little treasure to find. I love the story of meeting your friend again. That is just wonderful. Have such a great time and take pictures to post.
I hope she lets you blog about it... can't wait to see pictures and hear about it.
It's great fun finding things that have been hidden for such a long time. All the memories it envokes ... wow !!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Take care, MEow
Are you going to do your Cherokee People Dance after you drink the mochas or before? :o)
Will you be playing a game of football while you're there? LOL
Wonderful Show & Tell, Tammy!
What a sweet little book, Tammy. I can't wait to hear all about this amazing reunion. I can't even remember who I was in third grade with!
I haven't kept up with your blog lately and I missed the Mavis story. I'm so glad I caught up before the reunion results are in. How fun is this?! I have a couple of friends from way back when that I would love to find out where there lives have taken them. Perhaps one day it will happen.
I know EXACTLY how you feel, since I did the same thing two weeks ago, after 47 years! What a blessing.
Oh my, this brought back memories!
From one 40 Mom to another!
God bless,
Sue
PS: I love the movie Parent Trap that you mentioned on my blog!
Tammy,
This is a great post....I have a friend from first grade who has recently moved back near me....
Please come again....Betty
Lovely Tammy, sweet memories... :-)
What an awesome opportunity to meet up with Mavis! Great show and tell.
Growing with Julia
Post a Comment