Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Autumn Memorial


For those interested in the upcoming bloggy Home School Open House info, I will be updating at the end of this post!



As fun as all of our tromping through the Roloff farm this past Saturday, our day was still far from over.
We then headed directly to the semi-coastal town of Tillamook to attend a memorial service for one of my husband's relatives, which I really wanted to share with you.

It was such a beautiful fall day for the drive, and my camera doesn't do the colors justice...




Actually, it was for the wife of my husband's second cousin. I had spoken to this cousin just a few times over the course of these ten years, but I enjoyed talking with him at length just this summer at the family reunion on the coast. Such an amiable man, with a fun sense of humor and a very strong faith.

So, it was sad to hear the news of the passing of his wife after 52 years of marriage.

Yet, this was not the typical way that a husband loses his wife. In this case, they were enjoying a vacation just two weeks ago-, visiting relatives and seeing sights across the country- when his wife was struck by a car as she crossed a street and did not survive.

So, we were so saddened by this tragedy that though we weren't privileged to know them well, we wanted to be there to help support him and his family during this time.

We learned so much more about this dear woman...her very strong faith in Jesus, concern for those who didn't know Him, and her love for her family.
And though I knew her husband must be hurting inside, he amazed me as he spoke with loved ones, a warm and genuine smile gracing his face.
His wife had previously picked out the color for the small New Testaments to be given out by the church, so in light of this, he was giving them out in her memory to all of us who attended.
Before we left the reception area, he was holding the box containing the remaining Bibles, making sure we all had taken one...smiling into our eyes with such sweetness. It is something I'll never forget.

Afterward, many of the children played on the old playground at the church, which was
surrounded all around with beautiful countryside.








Then, we headed over to the Tillamook Cheese Factory...a place our family has been to many times over the years, but never seems to lose it's charm with the kids...especially when there's a scoop of their famous ice cream waiting for them at the end!

And we swung by the Air Museum, too...

We didn't pay for the tour, but stepped into the fun gift shop, complete with 1940's music playing, and peeked into the hanger filled with historical planes.

And we also noticed something interesting in this field outside of the museum...
As we first noticed a few people standing by their parked cars on the side of the road, snapping photos, our eyes followed to the field, where what looked like a herd of a hundred elk stood majestically grazing.
I wish I had gotten a picture while they were standing, but on the way back from the museum, I snapped this shot of them resting afterward...

Very hard to make out, I know, since I don't sport a nifty wildlife telephoto lens...but I did do some research, and they are called Roosevelt Elk- and are known for coming down from the hills to the lowlands in the fall to fatten up for winter.
Since we' re from the suburbs, we were all pretty excited to see this type of wildlife roaming so freely near us!

It was quite the long but fulfilling day, filled with many emotions...and it felt so good just to be together as a family.


Remember, hopefully I will be hosting our first official Home School Open House this coming Tuesday!


If you'd like to participate, you can by posting your own home school show and tell on that day, perhaps showing us what your children have recently worked on, a special project, or even just a favorite book. You can also share with us the special place that your children usually do their work- a room set aside, or a special corner.
You can tell us in words, but hopefully have a picture or two to share...or even a video!
(I'm new at this sort of thing, you guys, so bare with me...but hopefully I will learn how to have a Mr. Linky by then and everything! Woohoo!)

So...maybe get your children involved and think about what you all could share-
and I will see you in the school house on Tuesday!


23 comments:

Nadine said...

That is heart breaking to loose your spouse after 52 years together and to such a thing as a car accident. I pray that the Lord will give him comfort during this time.

Arzed said...

Hi, nice blog. I was just hopping around and found your blog. Where did you get the awards?

Susan said...

So fun!! :-) Susan

Anonymous said...

HUGS. :o)

Dawn said...

Looks like a lovely day! Elk... despite our recent influx of nature in our little suburban haven, I can honestly say I have never seen elk!

Blessings!

groovyoldlady said...

I love memorial services that are uplifting instead of depressing. You can only have encouraging services for folks who know and love the Lord and who have families who "get it".

Hoo-boy. You're even going to have aMr. Linky??? I am so impressed! God willing, I'll be in the mix!

Susanne said...

52 years of marriage! That is truly incredible! They sound like they were an incredible couple.

What a trip you had. So much fun things to do.

Susan said...

Oh what a heart breaking way to lose your beloved after so many years of marriage :o( Breaks my heart.
Susan

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I can only imagine the range of different emotions in just one day!
How very difficult it must have been to lose his beloved wife of 52 years in such an unexpected way. I'm sure the presence of family and friends was a great comfort to him.
Bill and I have been to the Tillamook Cheese factory, so it was fun to see pictures of that beautiful area again.
How unusual to see the herd of elk too!
xo

someone else said...

What a heartbreaking story. I'm so sorry for the loss your family has suffered.

I buy Tillamook cheese all the time. Such goodness!!

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Tammy:-)

I'm slowly making my way through blogland, trying to catch up with everyone! Remind me not to go away again!! lol

I can't even imagine how awful it must have been for him to lose his wife that way and while on vacation...that is just so sad. I'm so glad you were able to attend the memorial, I'm sure it meant a lot to the family.

Such beautiful scenery that surrounded you and look at all those elk, what an awesome sight they must have made!!

Good luck with the Home School Open House:-) xoxo

Nancy said...

What a sad story... I'm delighted you could be there to offer support.

I had to show hubby the Elk photo, what a great shot!

Momma Roar said...

Great! I was thinking about doing an open house of what curric we are using and some pictures of our school room.

mommaroar@gmail.com

send me your graphic and the link you want it to be attached to :)

gail@more than a song said...

That is a hard way to lose a spouse when they've been married so long, but always comforting to know that a family member knew the Lord.
Looks like a good day, fun things to do. I've not heard of the Tillamook Cheese Factory but you surprised me when you said y'all had ice cream there!

Dawn said...

What a sad thing for this wonderful couple! I"m glad you were able to go. We have good friends who pastor in Tillamook, and a friend here in our church who grew up there. They sure make good cheese!

We see elk every time we head to Estes Park - they and the deer have begun to cause problems in the town - but it's because the town grew into their area!

Susannah said...

Wow, what a full day! You're such a good homeschool Mom, turning every outing and opportunity into a teaching/learning experience. I'm sure your girls loved the elk. :~D

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Wow - what an amazing testimony of a what marriage is all about. Through it all.....
I hope I remember on Tuesday...that would be fun to join your carnival.

Susie Q said...

How horrible and so heartbreaking to lose a loved one in this way. I will keep them all in my prayers.

This looks like such a wonderful day...just the sort that make life fun and oh so sweet. Thank you for taking us all along with you!

Love,
Sue

Michelle said...

what a tragedy for your husband's cousin's wife to pass away on vacation that way. It sounds like they had a wonderful 52 years together.

Pink Slippers said...

I'm soooo in!
Wendy

Sarah said...

Hi! I made some code for your button for the carnival - it makes a box underneath to copy and paste the button from, email me if you want it! Email is on my profile. :-)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tammy,

Oh that is SO sad and especially the way he lost his wife! I will pray him!

I will try my best to remember to participate on Tuesday in your Homeschool Show and Tell! We'll try to do something! It sounds like fun and besides it gives me something to think about! I think it will be fun! I have a friend that may be interested and I'll tell her too!

Have a great day, Tammy!
The other Tammy

Anonymous said...

Oh! This sounds fun! I'd love to do your show and tell! Is it this coming Tuesday the 28th??