Monday, October 27, 2008

Home School Open House is here!

WELCOME ...

to our first ever, monthly Home School Open House!



So glad you could join us!

Home School Open House


~If you wish to join in, just link up at the bottom of this post and show us what your home school family has been up to! (Oh, hope it works!)
EDITED: Click on the Mr. Linky and it will open a new window to put your name in!
Show us a new project they've been working on, your child's favorite school book, or perhaps even just a special room that might be set up for "school time".
Be sure to grab the button and link back here, and don't forget to visit other participants!~
(Thank you, Leigh Ann, for the code to link back!!)

For my first open house, I actually have a video to share!
(And this is new for me, too, so I hope it works!)
You will have to click on the link towards the end to see her presentation.
This time, the spot light in on my youngest, who is absolutely in her element when she gets to be creative for school!


We've started a new read aloud curriculum this year that we can participate in all together, no matter the grade that they're in. We are all three loving this!
It's a called "Exploring Creation with Zoology- Swimming Creatures of the Sixth Day" by Jeanne Fulbright.

The girls get to have their own notebooks to "make notes" or draw pictures while I read aloud to them, and they also make an "ocean box" which they add to as we go along.

But wait...let my youngest show you... (click on the link below...sometimes it does take a second try...oh, I hope this works, too...!)


home school show and tell

You may be wondering what her ocean box is sitting on...oh, just some folded blankets my hubby set on top of our doggie crate. (Just keepin' it real!)

Now...what about you? We want to see what your home school family is doing, too!

This post will up through Wednesday night at least...so click on the link and a new window below, link to your post, grab the button and let us take a little look into your "school house"!


26 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Tammy - Forgive me....I WANT to join in...have all the pictures taken, but they didn't download, and a post with no pictures, isn't a good post for an open house. SO VERY SORRY, but I will do it next time.
And you even reminded me, just like I needed....grrr....it was of our co-op's historical figure (dress up) day. I tried to browse my other posts, but my regular site doesn't have just home school posts.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ok....posted one. Not quite what I was intending but am running out the door to our co-op, so this will have to do. :)

Cris said...

What a nice project Tammy. We don't home school here... but I am delighted to hear your stories. xoxoxo

Juanita said...

Tammy,
I really enjoyed the video. She did a wonderful job. I do not have any children at home now but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everything. have a blessed day!
Juanita

Mary said...

Tammy,

I think that presentation deserves at least a B+. She did a great job.

Interesting what they're learning about and I'm sure they had lots of fun making the boxes.

I certainly enjoyed visiting your little school house. Be sure and let me know when the next open house is and if I should keep the button on my sidebar.

Now, I'm off to visit some of the other home schoolers.

Blessings,
Mary

Pink Slippers said...

My show and tell today is actually the benefits of homeschooling. Having family fun when the weather gives you a hot beautiful day, Thanks Wendy

Nancy said...

Tammy~ Perfect... you have worked so hard and your enthusiasm is so obvious. I hope it spills over to all of the other homeschool moms. I hope to share at some point even though I don't homeschool, because my brain starts spinning with ideas every time I see something like this. You just can't get the "teacher" out of me! What a blessing you are to so many!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you have a box in! My email said it wouldn't go through to your account :-(. I'll be back later to participate.........now back to home schooling.

Anonymous said...

She's such a cutie and gave a very good presentation! Great project too!

Manuela

Nadine said...

Nice open house Tammy. I only wished I was homeschooling so I could participate. I love the button you made for the Open House.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Too odd...when I push the Mr. Linkey thing it shows my name up there, but I don't know why it doesn't show up on the post? :)

Midlife Mom said...

That video of your daughter is just precious! I loved the part where she was talking about the star fish having one too many legs and she said 'but that's all right!' So cute!!!! Tell her that Midlife Mom all the way from Maine said GOOD JOB! I'll put your button on my Random Friday post. Have fun!!!

Tammy said...

Thanks so much to all of you who have stopped by so far!
And most of all to the brave few of you who participated this first time around!
I know it will only grow as word gets out, so hopefully next month will see even more participants! :)

I was so tired and in a hurry late last night to get this posted, so I "tweaked" it a bit since then and corrected a few errors. Funny how the brain doesn't function as well at midnight after an full day of schooling! ;)

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Tammy:-)

I think you did a wonderful job with your first Home School Open House and it makes me wish I was home schooling!! Your daughter did a marvelous job with her presentation...I really love the idea of that ocean box. The very best of luck with your future open houses, hopefully you'll get lots of home schooling moms involved:-) xoxo

Susannah said...

What an excellent idea, Tammy. If I were a homeschooler, I'd join in!
(Cute button too.) :~D

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tammy,

Your daughter's presentation was wonderful! She is darling! She would have fit right into our recitation today! That's the sort of thing that we do...show something we've worked on...or recite something! You could tell that she knew what she was talking about and that she loved it! Tell her that I loved it and I'm going to show it to Joy too!

I'm glad I got to participate. Maybe next time, we'll have more of a project to share!

Thanks so much for doing this...I enjoy it! Tell me again how often we'll be doing it...so I can plan better! :)

Hugs to you too!
Tammy

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh Tammy, I forgot to tell you that I'm going to send my friend, Kim, over here to check out your blog. She's a friend of mine and in our home schooling group. She and her kids just got finished with the Apologia Swimming Creatures book like you are using and just took a trip to Sea World afterwards! She LOVES science and was the one teaching our lapbooking class!

Joy and I are beginning a study on astronomy. We have the God's Design series to use, but I want to also get the Apologia book to go along with it (the one on Astronomy).

Tammy

Momma Roar said...

I loved this video!!

I wanted to join in, I really did - but the post I had in my head didn't come together because of time. :(

I've been wanting to write it for about 2 months now, and just haven't forced myself to sit down and do it yet.

I will try to work on it to hopefully join in next month, k?

groovyoldlady said...

I blew it Tammy...You can see all my excuses on my blog. Sorry!

I'll do my best to get it together for the next open house.

Carla said...

What fun! Yea for you homeschooling! thanks for sharing the adventure:)

ghomeschool said...

We just finished Swimming Creatures and are now in the process of doing a lapbook on just the Whales chapter for our homeschool group science display. We also did the ocean box and the kids loved it. We took a "field trip" to Sea World earlier this month. Check out my blog to see the pix. It was wonderful. Thanks for sharing your school.

Barb said...

What a nice thing to start, Tammy. I swear, half the people who read my blog, and whose blogs I read, homeschool their children.

This wasn't an option for me. First of all, it was more than twenty years ago that my own children were still children, and second, I had to work full time so even if I'd know I could do this, I couldn't have.

I so admire those of you who do. And if I were raising small children today and didn't have to work to make our family's ends meet, I would so be a homeschooling mom.

This is wonderful. I know you'll have lots and lots of people join you in sharing their ideas.

Good for you!

Grafted Branch said...

I'm on a staycation this week, so no schooling going on here.

I love Apologia! It's new to us as well. We started with the red book: Flying Animals of the 5th day.

Isn't it great?

Susie said...

Hi Tammy,
I'm so glad to have had this chance to visit your open house! Your little one's presentation was positively delightful. I hope this homeschooling open house idea builds and builds for you with loads of participants.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

tammy -- Thanks for the invitation!! I'll try to join in next time..

God bless,
Sallie

karri said...

hi! i loved the glimpse
into your homeschool!
having technical difficulties
myself, so i will have
to join in on the fun
next time!
cute blog too!
: )