Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin Girl


Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my first Home School Open House post below! I'm hoping that by next month the word will be out more...so as we get closer to the next Open House, if you'll help me spread the word, I'd be oh-so grateful! :)
But even as it was, I hope you enjoyed it! (The amazing thing is that my six year old in the video actually wanted to recite that on her own to me, and I just happened to pick up the camera on the desk beside me and asked her if I could record it!)



We're not overly big on Halloween at our house for various reasons. But the girls usually do go trick or treating down our small street with their daddy, followed by a church Harvest Party.

Not so good for my little one's severe cavity issues, but it is fun to dress up!

Both girls picked great themes this year...stay tuned!

And as you know, we also go to pumpkin patches each year because that just says fall to us.


Somehow, I started this tradition of taking a picture of my youngest holding a pumpkin the very first year that she could.


Here she is that first year...age one and a half...


And here she is, five years later...

Even now, she's still a wisp of a girl, and this pumpkin seemed as heavy as a boulder!

This youngest of mine, had a couple- shall we say- behavioral issues this week. But she has been quick to repent because she truly truly wants to do the right thing. And she has such a tender and pure heart.


Last night as we were brushing our teeth before bed, she asked me what I was going to dress up as. I told her I don't usually dress up...but maybe I could wear a funny hat?
She then replied, "You should be an angel."
I thought this was sweet enough but I asked her why,
and she replied soberly, looking up with me with her big brown eyes,
"Because you look one."

I was tired from the day and certainly didn't feel like I looked very angelic...so you can imagine how that melted my heart as I bent down to give her a big smoochie kiss!


A tantrum the day before? I don't remember any tantrum...!

19 comments:

Susanne said...

Boy both her and the pumpkin are getting bigger! They certainly do know how to say just the right thing, don't they?

Sandy said...

We're not big on Halloween either! But your pix of your girls are darling :)

Linda said...

I'm glad your Open House went well Tammy. I just watch in amazement at the wonderful work you homeschooling moms do (my dil included).
I have such fun memories of dressing up for Halloween. The pictures of your little one are adorable. That's quite the pumpkin she picked out!

Carole Burant said...

She's so adorable and I love the pictures of her with the pumpkins:-) She sounds like a real sweetheart and tantrums are allowed once in a while! hehe xoxo

Unknown said...

Awe how sweet is that. The pictures were so sweet.Have a great weekend.
Hugs. Lisa~

Praise and Coffee said...

Precious!! Love the pictures and thanks for adding the button.
Hugs,
Sue

groovyoldlady said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

*sniffle*

Dawn said...

Funny how those moments can wipe the slate clean!

Very cute pics!

Blessings,
Dawn

gail@more than a song said...

Awwww, what she said is sweet! Don't you just love it when they do stuff like that.....very cute pics!
I don't just love Halloween either.

Ruth said...

I think a lot of tantrums are the result of being over tired or overstimulated, but mostly it is the former. Once in awhile you, my little angel could throw one, but it ususally was when you were tired, which I have seen happen especially with your oldest.

Tammy said...

What Mom...ME????? ;)

Susannah said...

Ah, bless our children for their pure hearts. You DO look like an angel... what a touching story. :~D

(Once, my daughter said I reminded her of the sweetness of strawberries.)

Have a blessed weekend, Tammy!

Nancy said...

Angelic indeed, what a heartwarming compliment... one that let's you know, you are doing all of the right things in this thing called- MOTHERHOOD!

Precious and few are these moments, treasure each one and know that being a MOM is a lifetime job of planting seeds in all the right places and that is a BLESSING INDEED!

Have a great weekend.

Faith said...

How adorable your daughter is with those pumpkins!
We're not into Halloween either but last nite we enjoyed our church's annual Halleluia Nite (harvest party with carnival theme).
Happy Harvest to you!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Oh how sweet.... us Mama's need encouragement like that sometimes!

Hope you had a fun day yesterday!

Carla said...

I firmly believe God speaks through our children. Maybe you needed a little reminder of the who and what you are right then! Enjoy the moment (the next issue is probably right around the corner:)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

How precious, Tammy! Both the pictures and that sweet comment from your daughter! They sure do have a way of melting our hearts, don't they?

Tammy

Kelli said...

What a sweetie! It looks like lots of pumpkin patch fun!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

TeeHee.