The girls and I had a nice, relaxing time visiting my mom this past weekend. We were all tired after just getting over colds so we didn't do anything special...but it was just nice to be there!
The girls and I, along with my sister in law and little ones, are planning on going to a pumpkin patch tomorrow...maybe I'll have a few pictures I can share!
But today, it's late on Monday afternoon, and we've been having a leisurely home school day. It may be Canadian Thanksgiving (and Pea's birthday- Happy birthday dear friend!)...
But here in the states, it's Columbus Day!
So for your learning pleasure, here's a little poem I came across...
(No, this isn't the start of my Home School Open House...that will be starting on the 28th and I'll post more info on that soon!)
This is just a little bonus post...;)
The Three Ships
The Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria.
Three little ships from Spain,
Sailed over the seas, under skies so blue,
Sailed on through the wind and rain.
So brave was the captain,
So gallant his crew,
Their faith remained steadfast,
Till their goal came in view.
The Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria,
Three little ships from Spain,
Inspired the later pioneers
Who settled on hill and plain,
So great was their labor,
Their courage so true,
That our mighty nation
From their striving grew!
Lillian W. Allard

Of course, there's a little more to the whole story!
Last year, we read aloud a great chapter book about his life from childhood on, and it was fascinating! There was so much about him and the details of his life, career, Christian faith, and family...I ended up learning more than they did!

Of course, reading for me actually involves seeing those little letters and words on the pages.
Words that are actually smaller than This.
I have always been blessed with wonderful eye sight...up until about the time I hit 40.
Then, at bedtime I found myself beginning to hold out Go Dog Go just a little bit further each night with my arm, as my preschoolers gave me questioning looks. Hmmm...
I bought these a year ago, but um...kinda' tucked them away...
Finally, the time has come to put aside vanity about the dreaded "40's far-sightedness"...

Problem is, my daughter says I look "too smart".
Not sure how to take that!
OK Ladies...How many of you who never wore glasses admit to reading with them now?








17 comments:
You got me on that one Tammy. I have always had such perfect eyesight; I could never foresee the day I would need glasses. Everyone else - but never me! Well, I keep having to buy stronger magnified lenses in order to read or work on the computer. Sigh....so much for perfect eyesight.
It was the shock of my life when, in my 40's, I realized my arms weren't long enough to read any more. LOL
Yes ma'am. I wear glasses. Whatever it takes - I need my eyes!
I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade and had contacts by 5th grade....yep...basically my whole life!
Now, my hubby always had perfect eyesight and had to start with reading glasses in his early 40's, now he is into bifocals....hehehe
Loved your Columbus Day poem. We always used to get that as a school holiday and since it was my brother's birthday, he thought it was specially for him :)
I've worn glasses since I was 8 (and that's a lot of years LOL)
Can't see a thing without them!
xo
Thats what happens to most of us girl's after 40. I am Blessed though. I really don't have wear mine only for computer and small print to save on eye strain.
Oh, I feel your pain. I went to the eye doctor this year for the first time and he said, "It's quite normal for a woman my age to wear glasses." My age - I wanted to sock him, but I didn't. I wear my 'cheaters' to read.
I've worn glasses for driving and movies since college. Must have been all that close-up reading (or something.) I really like your frames.... VERY stylish. Mine are gold-rimmed. :~D
I've been wearing reading glasses for a couple years now. I've found some really cute ones - but I'm still vain enough that I only wear them at home. Or, at Bible study with my other 40-something friends who are wearing them, too. I think this may be the year I break down and go to the eye doctor.
I've worn glasses since third grade. I remember to this day walking into class and Daniel Egle saying, "Hey look! It's four-eyes!"
Now my vision is SO bad that I wear bi-focals (ugh). Even with my new prescription I have difficulties. In order to do any close work like threading a needle I just rip my glasses off in frustration and hold the needle about 2" from my face to get the job done.
I get increasingly annoyed with the computer screen. I enlarge type whenever I can and go back and forth between scooting farther away and using the top half of my lenses or scooting in uber close to use the reading portions. Yes, I am on the verge of getting "computer glasses".
On a really bad day, I've actually been known to remove my glasses completely and sit with my eyeballs 2" from the screen. I seem to always have to do that on Facebook to read my "Flair".
Ah well. It could be worse!
It was the hardest thing in the world for me to get glasses...and it was at 28!! The doc told me I not only needed glasses, but I needed BI-FOCALS! Oh my word. Even though we had little to no money at the time, I splurged on the "no line" bifocals. I just couldn't go there at that time. Now, it doesn't bother me a bit.
:-) Susan
Sunday, I had a little Columbus rhyme down pat, until ACTUAL Columbus day and then I couldn't remember it for NOTHING! (I'm headed for 'special specs' too-bummer, maybe I'll look 'too smart' too, anything would help;)
I've worn glasses since I was in the 7th grade! And like Susie said, that's a lot of years!! I did notice a big difference when I got into my 40's, I used to be able to go without them for a fancy dressup deal but now I can't even see my food without them so that's out! ha!
I guess one positive from having to wear glasses since the age of 8 (and contacts since 7th grade) is that my contacts still work fine for seeing distance and up close and I don't have to prop those spectacles on my nose. hee-hee
I am in my early 40's and perhaps it is time to get my eyes tested! I am sure spending so much time blogging hasn't helped!!
Now did y'all pass me your cold! I'm just now coming down with one, ugh.
I've had good vision all my life but yes, there's something about the 40's that makes most people have to get reading glasses. I got tired of fooling with them though and now wear monovision contacts instead.
Can't understand those who made it to 40 without glasses. I have had them since I was 10. Then the 40's eyesight hit and now I have glasses that need glasses. What's a girl to do?! ;)
Since moving from MN to CO I have trouble wearing my contacts, so I'm in glasses most of the time now.
I never used to wear glasses, but I do now. I was in my early 20s when I realized I was seeing things in the distance as blurry...not good when you're driving and trying to read a sign! Went to get my eyes checked and needed glasses; I only wear them when I'm driving, but I should probably wear them more often!
Post a Comment