Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Are we having fun, yet?

Alone-Day 1

After a rocky start, a stressed out husband during his car-loading process (who let's just say had to do some major apologizing to his sweet wife) and lots of hugs and kisses, my family finally left this morning on their half-week camping trip on the coast.

I just spoke to them all only moments ago and everyone is doing just fine. (But they are a bit chilly over there, having come from our heat wave at home, so they are throwing on the sweatshirts!)

I'll be honest...for some reason, I am not quite feeling dizzy with excitement over having all this freedom like I was last year. But I have a feeling, I just need to get into the swing of it all.

I am trying to organize the upstairs, which has looked like something exploded up there. Too many toys and clutter everywhere! And what is it about those teeny-tiny little toy accessories that multiply as soon as your child qualifies for the toys "recommended for 3 and up?" I truly need a magnifier to recognize some of them, much less find a place to put them.
I'm not blaming my children completely for the clutter, since they simply have too many things and not a system to keep it organized. And truth told, I am not the queen of organization myself. (Which is why the master bedroom is on tomorrow's list...)
Hopefully, it will all look like a new place when they return!

But never fear, it's not all work. I am taking breaks.
After ten minutes or so, lost in a crowd of stuffed animals and unsorted Polly Pockets, I like to lie down on one of the kids' beds and crack open my latest book to see what's happening in Mitford. Then after...oh, say...a half an hour- or hour...(really, who's counting?) I finally wander back to my pile of assorted Barbie shoes and Little People and try to separate them. (Because really, those Little People just don't have the style, nor the feet, to pull off the look of a nice mauve pump.)

Once, I accidentally leaned down on a pile of toys and my eldest's Winnie the Pooh began singing "When I'm up, down, touch the ground..." She got that for her first birthday and it has simply never lost it's charm. I was surprised how nice it was to hear him again- so cute, so cheery...
Of course, I would never get so lonely as to purposely push that little guy's tummy, just to hear a friendly voice. No sirree...

And let's see...what else? Oh- I even added two whole sentences to the novel I'm writing!
Yes, I knew you'd all be proud. And it's not even 3 pm.

So, just wanted to check in with you. Seriously, please keep my family (and me!) in your prayers this week, if you would.

Meanwhile, I must go back to the big mess upstairs that I've made even bigger...and if I "accidentally" step on Pooh's tummy in the process, well, it's just not my fault.

16 comments:

Susanne said...

Isn't it funny, all these big plans we lay for when we can have some time to ourselves and then when we finally get it we "putz". You made me smile with the reading on the beds. That is so exactly what I would do. Are you sure we aren't related somehow?

Susie said...

I remember that Pooh song! Does your giggle at you too? Enjoy this time!
xo

gail@more than a song said...

I'm sorry you're not as excited about your time as you first thought, but reading sounds really nice and I bet you're enjoying that! Especially with the Mitford books.
Just taking time for you is always a good thing! Moms need and deserve it.

someone else said...

Now really, what other time would you have the freedom to just plop down and read, uninterrupted? Just wait until you wake up in the morning and no one is demanding anything. I think you'll settle in juuuust fine.

Enjoy!!

Myrna said...

You'll get in the swing of the solitude thing about the time they return! A little break from the routine is good for everyone now and then. Enjoy it as much as you can!

Way to go on that novel. At that rate it will be published in ????

Pamela said...

my hubby is going to ride his bike in STP this weekend.. so I'm thinking about getting my watercolors out and paint.

the dust will wait... sigh.

ruth said...

AS hot & humid as it was today, I think you desrve a big hand clap for working upstairs. I'm glad that you sent lots of coats & sweatshirts with the girls & hope they have sleeping bags that zip together because it is so cold & damp at night on the coast. Way too cold for me!! Enjoy your mommy time & don't work too hard.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of like that. When the kids are driving me crazy, all I want is some time by myself. However, once they leave, I miss them. Crazy, huh?

Carole Burant said...

Awwww, you're really missing them this time, aren't you?!! They'll be home before you know it and then you'll be wondering when you can have your next break! lol xox

Henny Penny said...

Pooh is the best friend ever. I don't care who you are! He was probably lonely too! :o)

Polly Pocket really tries my patience. All those teeny shoes and rubber clothes... Gack!

Prayers going up! HUGS

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi, Tammy! I see you're taking time out of your cleaning/organizing to visit some blogs. ;D

I always have lofty plans when my hubby goes to Texas to visit his brother. Sometimes I get a lot done, most times I end up mostly just enjoying my time alone.

Have a great mini vacation if you can, and hope you don't miss the family too much. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Michelle said...

Good luck with your organizing! I would love it if Joe and Kayla went away for a couple days just so I could organize this house room by room!

Believer said...

You're missing them big time, but take this needed break for a well deserved anything you'd been wanting to do ALONE! Mother's don't get quiet time often so please for all of us still among the noise of life...ENJOY! :)

I would suggest that you sort and make a pile to donate. However, if the kids are older it may be beneficial to include them in the process of charity.

Did you take a bubble bath yet by candle light?

Growing with Julia

Linda said...

You are getting lots more done than I would. My list would consist of things like: watch old movies, read, eat junk food....you know - good stuff like that. Enjoy your time Tammy. I'm praying for all of you.

Dawn said...

I don't even plan to get anything done when my hubby's gone - just eat out and read is my plan! Of course, I'm much lazier than I used to be.

I still love Pooh!!

Susanne said...

BTW, I gave you a tag! Come on over and see if you'd like to play along.