Thank you all so much for your sweet replies and words of wisdom. They have meant so much to me, and I realize just how much this thing called blogging can be used of God as a source of encouragement to one another. I had tears in my eyes reading each and every one.
Yesterday, my daughter and I were able to talk about this off and on throughout the day. I asked many questions. And I was hopefully able to impart some of my own wisdom here and there. But though she just wasn't completely sure where her thoughts had originated, God began opening my own eyes about some fault of our own, and it was both startling and humbling.
I suddenly began to have flashes of memory of where husband and I had wrongly conveyed negative thoughts, perhaps planting seeds of doubt into her young mind about the value of our family.
Things we might have said, tongue in cheek, not realizing that she was overhearing and absorbing...
Like, "Oh, I guess we're just too boring for them now..." referring to another family.
Even the use of the word "cool" coming from my husband's lips, along this very line.
As God began to gently bring these things to my memory, it all began to make a little more sense to me. During the course of the day, I apologized to my daughter for unknowingly portraying our family- ourselves- in a less than positive light. I told her we were, indeed, just as wonderful as other families...and from now on, we would make our words measure up to that fact.
When my husband came home from work, we talked about this whole thing. He knew how upset I had been the night before, and when I started bringing up the examples I had been shown, he immediately and humbly agreed...we had been partly to blame.
So our homework as a couple and has parents is to start speaking more positively about ourselves...start speaking the truth about us...God's truth.
We learned a tremendously valuable lesson throughout this.
It is so easy for parents to be speaking to one another, assuming that children aren't listening but in their own little world at the time...when in actuality, they are more than likely absorbing more than we can possible realize. They pick up subtle nuances and attitudes without us even knowing.
I remember being able to do the same as a child...but how quickly we forget!
The reason I have chosen to be so completely transparent in all of this is because, perhaps there is a lesson someone else out there can learn from our own mistakes...without enduring some of the hurt that we encountered this week.
Yes, overall, we are a nice, happy family...but to pretend we never face trials, make mistakes or learn things the hard way, would be deceiving. All of us- even Christians-make mistakes, and if by being "real" will help others to know they aren't alone in daily struggles, than it is worth it.
I know some of your encouraging prayers were heard, since by the end of yesterday, she and I were having fun, laughing together over something or other...and I was able to get so past the hurt that I was actually able to joke (when she was wanting her "mommy")
"What? You want me sit over next to you? Do you think I'm cool enough? Tell me how cool I am, and maybe...." whereupon, she'd dissolve into giggles.
And one last, totally lighter note...hopefully, you all don't have an image of me as some nerdy old lady that doesn't know a current fashion if it bit her on...um, her big toe. I'm young (well, not really, but I can look 35 on a very good day)...I'm hip (Ok...just sort of...barely...) and if it wasn't for the fact that my husband might object, there'd be a poster of High School Musical in our bedroom. If that isn't cool, I'm not sure what is!
Unless, it's my collection of The Partridge Family records from when I was eight- like my daughter. And my parents were so not cool.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








30 comments:
You are certainly young to me. And hip to me. And your transparency is so appreciated. Thanks for sharing so the rest of us can learn too.
I am so glad that God has chosen to teach this lesson quickly, and not drag it out for you. He has all the answers!! I'm so glad it doesn't rest on my shoulders.
Well from where I am in the "age department" you are decidedly young. I'm so glad things are looking brighter Tammy. You are so wise. We just don't realize the power of words. When I think back on some of the things I've said over the years, I just cringe. I've had to apologize to my children and husband for some of the very hurtful words I've used. I have far too quick a tongue.
I think the Lord will use this time to draw your daughter closer to you and your family to each other. Your daughter has learned that she can tell you what is truly on her heart and you will help her through whatever she is experiencing. That is a wonderful gift.
Your open, teachable heart are a blessing to us and to the Father.
My oldest child has heard me complain about my weight so much that now she's taken to sweetly pointing out diet articles in magazines at the checkout line. She genuinely does not mean any harm - she's just repeating what's she has heard.
I'm glad that you've found peace with this.
You are soooo very right...we parents don't realize how much our children listen and absorb every little thing we say, even when we don't think they're listening. Not knowing the full story, they can get confused, scared, angry, etc, at what they hear. I'm so glad that you and your daughter were able to talk it out, as well as you and your hubby. As long as a lesson has been learned, it truly was all worth it:-) xox
I'm 45 but did you hear that 40 is the new 30. I'm so glad things seemed to work out today. Isn't God good that His mercies are new every morning. Thank you for sharing such a deep, personal moment. I know it has blessed many of us who read it.
It is amazing what children pick up. I can remember my grandmother saying "Little pitchers have big ears" She & mom used to talk in what was called Pig Latin. None of this gereation has probably heard of it, but it was sort of a backwards use of letters in phrases, one of which I remember was edbay for bed. It worked for quite awhile until one night I loudly proclamed that I didn't want to go to bed after hearing something about it being time to put the kids to bed. I think that ended the pig latin since mom & grandma knew lttle Ruthie was understanding what they were saying
You are young to me! I might also add, you are a very "cool" moom. Sounds to me like you handled the situation with grace and graciousness.
You know, children at that age are so literal. When adults say something facetiously or jokingly, they take it as complete truth. Sometimes we don't find out until much later that they really thought we meant EXACTLY what we said. I have had to explain myself many times to "little professors" holding me to my word. It's a part of the process of learning communication skills.
You did great, girl!
You're so right...words are powerful. It's wonderful you were able (through God's help) to realize what might have caused her feelings. It's seems things are on the mend. I'm so glad. You're brave to be so honest and I want you to know that I think that's wonderful since many can learn from your example.
Hugs!
Kat
I just finished reading the two posts devoted to this subject.
You are a loving and devoted mom. The bond you have with your daughters is strong. It surely can withstand small upsets like this one.
The way you and your husband resolved it is both commendable and touching.
Please swing by my blog and read my most recent Health Alert post.
I think I do the same thing about my ability to homeschool. I need to stop doing that, and be more sure of myself in front of my students.
Thanks for your candor, Tammy!
The only picture perfect women are on TV and most of them are made of plastic. :>)
I am sure her words were just a clumsy expression of something else she was feeling, a hurt, a frustration, something totally unrelated to you. You just happened to be in the line of fire at the time.
On a less serious note, stop by and enter my drawing. :>)
The words we speak each and every day are like seeds that we are going to reap......either good or bad. It's up to us to determine the crop we want to harvest and plant the correct seeds.
I never forget "Watch your words you never know which ones you might have to eat",
It is soooo very important that we say what God says about us--We are the redeemed of the Lord!!!
We are more than conquerers, We are the head and not the tail. We are a royal priesthood, a chosen generation, etc. Thank God we are!!
Susan
I don't exactly know what to say...
I'm used to my Chicken Little pointing out the obvious... Like when she laughs at my bat wings. Especially when they are flapping.
Sending HUGS!
You are cool to me! Thank you for this post...I must roll it around and think about it as it pertains to me, my family and the messages I may be sending to my own children. (((hugs)))
Not hip? Not cool? Not perky! HA! The last two days have proven otherwise.
At your daughter's young age, she hasn't realized yet, that she has the best a mom has to offer.....love, humility and perseverance. Those qualities don't come wrapped up in a one-size-fits-all package. They should come packaged with a crown! Not all mother's would engage so persistently with their daughter (children). Not all mother's even have the time to listen. Not all mother's would navigate through a conversation like this with such grace.
These are the lessons that you have offered your daughter...that will take her so much farther than a "bubbly personality!"
How beautiful that you were able to love her....through your pain. Yes, these first hurtful conversations cut to the core....but you have provided a deeper lesson....one of grace and love! Won't she be a beautiful woman one day, having such a beautiful role model.
I am so glad that you have shared this story. One of the toughest things we do as moms...is NOT childbirth....it is setting aside our own (hurt feelings) to love our children in tangibe ways that will benefit them for today...and all of their future.
There were many, many lessons learned in these conversations. While the world defines who we are by different standards--it is truly who we are in Jesus that matters. However, I must say, you look "mah-r-ve-lus!!!!" 35 my eye! You go girl!
Diane
I just read both posts, I'm so sorry you got hurt and it's never easy when it's a child. It does sound like y'all have talked about it and prayed about it and getting it worked out, good for you! It is amazing what children hear & pick up on..and it would be so much easier if they came with very detailed instructions on how to raise them! I just went through something a little similar with one of mine and he's older than 8, don't think I handled it as well as you did.
I read your beautiful but painful story and it touched my heart! You are a great mother and your daughter is so blessed! I am so glad it is working out for you and that this only makes your bonds stronger.
Blessings!
/Mama´s Coffee Corner
WHAT? Your parents were not cool, either??!! :) I'm so happy you're feeling like yourselves again. And yes, you made a good point about verbage!
Hey Tammy--just catching up here. I read both posts, and I just want to commend you for having the kind of house where you daughter can speak to you honestly. I'm glad you were able to talk it through. Hang in there. I know that it's going to be tough over the next TEN years here too!
Did you see my review of Here for You at 5 Minutes for Mom? It was posted Monday. You can win a copy or order your own. It's a great book, and even though Amanda is only 8 1/2, it had some nuggets for me.
I didn't read yesterday until today, so am glad to read "the rest of the story." I can remember Kristen packing her bags and heading down the street at a VERY young age. So hard on the emotions of the mom! We had a rough time through adolescence, but are very close now. This too shall pass!
Oh Tammy I'm so happy to hear you and your daughter talked this out and came to some realizations about why she thought those things! It's true we don't realize little ears are listening and absorbing so much of what we say. What a great lesson you were able to take away from all of this!
Tammy, I just read your last post and this one. Thanks so much for sharing from your heart. It's easy to not seem real in this bloggy world. But we all go through many trials. And you have seemed to handle this one with such grace and wisdom. May the Lord bless your family to be better through this trial:)
I'm so glad you're both feeling better and have found some of the reasons for what happened. Your parenting skills are to be commended.
xo
Maybe God is preparing you for the teen years.
Great job, mom! God bless you both as you work at being mother and daughter as well as being friends.
Thank you for the update. I am glad things are going better! I am going to try to speak truth from now on, too. You are so right! Even in joking...and I can be so very sarcastic when I am joking around!
Cool is relative anyway. Just not my relatives. (hee hee)
Seriously, you handled this very well, and I'm sure your daughter won't forget it.
Hey Chicka, You are every bit as groovy as I am. You are also every bit as old!
Seriously, I may not be the hippest mom out there, but that's because I'm always on a diet!
OK..Now you know why Groovy never wins a thinking blogger award!
******************************
OK, jokes aside, that's an extremely valid point about mom and dad talking and not noticing that they're being heard. It's been SO HARD to deal with our prodigal struggles and our hostile DIL struggles whilst still helping the girls to keep a postitive/hopeful/loving mindset about both their brother and their SIL.
Mulletman and I realized that they were hearing WAY more than they should, so we talked to them and set the score straight. Now when we are feeling worked up over an issue, we get Grammy to babysit and we go for a walk!
You know--I think we run into this whatever age we are--I am 32 with a 9, 7, and 5 year old and my mom is 53 with a 15 year old son at home--my brother. My mom was of the "adults talk about their things and kids talk about theirs" variety--and we listened even though she didn't realize. Now I have to remind her not to do that around my kids--they are active listeners--especially the 7 year old, and they are constantly processing all the talk. We learned early on because of our very active listener to be careful of our words around her (the 9 year old not so much, she seldom listens, even when being spoken to.) Recognizing the attitude s in the house are important--we have different issues but they are there and we are working on them. They are watching and listening and it is amazing what they are absorbing just being around us.
I see my prayer was already answered! =)
Growing with Julia
Post a Comment