
I am so excited to participate once again in Katrina's Reading Challenge! (Thank you again, Katrina, for this wonderful idea!)
I have to admit- for the past two challenges, I have not made it completely through my list. But that's OK, right? This challenge has always helped me stretch just a bit and probably read one or two more books than I probably would have otherwise.
Since we're on the subject of books, I know some have recently stated how they don't think Christian fiction is all that well-written. And that can be true, some of the time.
I know we all have different opinions (and some of these folks are actually blogging friends of mine and wonderful people, to boot)- but I have to respectfully disagree.
Sure, there is some real fluff out there, and I have read some of it. But there's fluff in all genres, as well.
For me, finding good Christian fiction is so worth it, because sometimes God can really use it to speak to me in so many ways.
Just like Jesus Himself used parables and stories to drive home a point, I think a good story can be an instrument truly used by God to teach and encourage, challenge and uplift.
And of course, it's OK to just relax and unwind, and even have a smile and a laugh, too!
Now, I'll tiptoe off my soap box...because I have to admit that I should really read more non-fiction than I do. And that is, once again, my challenge to myself this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I'll be extra challenging and list my Non-fiction list, first:
1) Maria by Maria Von Trapp.
I read this one something like 20 years ago, and I though I didn't get to it on my prior challenge, I'm really going to try to re-read it again this fall!
2) Taking Care of the "Me" in Mommy by Lisa Welchel.
I was excited to see this at my church library and will be checking it out soon! (It was through Lisa's website that actually led me to blogging in the first place!)
3) Love Found a Way- Stories of Christmas by Ron Mehl.
We had the profound privilege of having this man as our pastor for several years. He is now with the Lord...but reading His words makes me feel as though I am hearing his voice once again. He was a writer of many books, pastor of one of the largest churches in the area, yet his tender and humble spirit was what you first noticed above all else.
I'm going to limit my must-read non-fictions to just three since I'm trying to be realistic for once! But there are a few others out there I hope to get to if I have time!
Now for the Fiction:
The Prince by Francine Rivers.
I really had hoped to get to this before now, but better late than never! I've only read one F. Rivers book so far, but judging from that one, I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.
2. Chateau of Echoes by Siri L. Mitchell.
I was doing some looking around on the computer last night and found this one recommended by another Christian author. So when I saw that my church library had it this morning, I decided to grab it! :)
3. Marley and Me by John Grogan
I've been wanting to read this for over a year...can't wait! (And now I see there are several children's versions available!)
4) The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
After reading The Wedding last year, I am so looking forward to this one!
5) Out to Caanan by Jan Karon.
As some of you know, I am working my way through the much beloved Mitford series. I am just a couple chapters into this one, the 4th in the series.
So, of course, I am going to have to add to my list....
6) A New Song by Jan Karon.
(And for those of you who are Mitford fans...did you hear the great news? She's started a whole new series, continuing on with Father Tim!!!)
There's several more I'd love to read this fall, but let's face it...I always bite off more than I can chew...it's will be closing in on the Christmas season...I'm a home school parent...um, and I blog.
Here's a couple read-alongs I plan on doing with my girls, too...
Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lingren.
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
(This looks like a wonder series, not unlike the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I discovered this was written back in 1935 but surprisingly, I had never heard of this heroine before!)
Plus, it goes without saying that I'll be reading some non-fiction to them- and probably countless Kindergarten-age books to my youngest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, hmmm...do you see a pattern here? As in my fiction books outnumber my non-fiction by 2-1?
I'll also be doing a two different Beth Moore Bible Studies...one hosted by Myrna via her blog on A Woman's Heart, and also through a woman's study at church called Motherwise, we'll be doing Moore's study of Daniel.
So, it's not too late to get in on the challenge. Go on over and sign in...or at the very least, go see what everyone else is reading!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a good book....








37 comments:
I need to read more non-fiction too. I think I only have one on my list. I have lots of great Christian Fiction on it! :)
After finding 2nd & 3rd cousins via e-mail to my sister & her forwarding it to me over the weekend, I'm taking a short break from The Wedding & rereading a biography written by my Aunt(now disceased) who was a Sister Of Mercy back in Ohio. She both wrote & Illustrated it, & I'm finding it so fascinating because I grew up knowing her, but not really knowing all about her. Her style of writing & the illustrations provide a lot of unknown details, & her sense of humor shows through.
Tammy, I'm posting my list tomorrow. I agree with you on the Christian fiction. I have started some and tossed it aside as too juvenile. I do want something that challenges me to be better in some way. But ... I have found a lot of that in the fiction area. I just have to be picky, and stick with authors that write smart.
Jan Karon is one author that never writes to the stupid part of my brain. Karen Kingsbury is another. She always challenges me to discover how my witness looks to others, and makes me struggle with what I would do in any given situation.
So I will have a lot of fiction on my list. I like to be entertained when I read. I am a studious person when I do bible studies. And I do a lot of that. But when I sit down and read for fun, I want to have fun.
And I wanted to tell you that I taught the Daniel study last year and it was absolutely life changing.
Hi Tammy,
Your list looks great. Happy Fall reading...
Tammy,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Fun to read your list--and your profile, as we have several favorites in common!
I think I read that Maria Von Trapp biography a long time ago--ooh, I want to add a biography to my list. But I need to stick with what I have for now!
Looks great, I love Jan Karon :)
your list looks great!
i read some non fiction .
have a great night
Sigh. The non-fiction always gets me. I start off with a bang and then peter out about halfway through.
Your books sound great though. The Maria Von Trapp one really caught my eye! And I have to agree with what you said on your soapbox. ;v) There is wonderfully written Christian fiction out there and God can and does use it to speak to our hearts.
I have the Maria book, signed by Maria herself! My mom found it at a garage sale years and years ago, and she's had it forever it seems. I never really picked it up until this year - but my mom has read it several times over - anyway, after watching the Sound of Music so many times I wanted to read the book. I opened the front flap of this old book, and said, "Mom, do you realize this is an autographed copy?!" She had no idea - had never noticed!
I have several of Ron Mehl's books, I love his writings. He spoke at my church in Eugene on several occasions (Eugene Faith Center). The first of his books I read was "God Works the Night Shift."
Also, I looked at your profile...I LOVE Christmas in Connecticut and watch it every Christmas!
looks like a good list! I enjoy Christian fiction too.
wondering how you will like Pippi.. I loved watching the movies on t.v. when I was young, dubbed and all, but I tried to read the book to my girls when they were little and I didn't get far, she was just so naughty and disrespectuful!! I gave up! I would actually let them watch the old movies I remember, they were just so outlandish to be clearly fantasy, but the versions out now are dubbed differently, I don't know if I could handle that...how could it be the same?
good luck with your list,
happy fall reading!
What a wonderful list! Having a church library would be awesome!
I tend to read a lot more non-fiction. I like biographies and auto-biographies. Maybe I need a fall challenge! Bring more fiction in!
I loved Pippi myself, but my daughter, Sunshine, doesn't seem at all interested. Her latest venture has been Little Women.
Looks like a great list, Tammy. I'd like to read one of Siri Mitchell's books one of these days -- I've heard good things about her writing and her books. Thanks for being part of teh challenge!
I am reading The Choice this fall, too.
Thanks for the news about Jan Karon!! I didn't know and I'm thrilled. I haven't even read the last one in the series, because I couldn't bear to, but now maybe I can finish that one off.
Wooo, a great list. I'll be busy assembling mine this week. My daughter and I have just completed Beth's Moore's Daniel study! Really exciting, and I think you'll enjoy it. Hugs!
The Sons of Encouragement Series by Francine Rivers is great (the Prince is one of those). You should also try the Lineage of Grace books. They are about the five women from the lineage of Christ mentioned in the Bible, and they are wonderful as well!
I think your ratio of non fiction to fiction books is fine! I find it takes me longer to read non-fiction because I have to read slower and ponder what I have read. Chewing takes more time than drinking! I chew non-fiction and I drink fiction - He He!
I have Jan Karon's new Father Tim series on my list and You will ADORE Marley and Me!
Good points on Christian fiction! I agree with you 100%. Your book list looks great! We've read some of those same ones in our homeschooling, too! Happy Fall, and have fun reading!
Yep, I agree there is some great christian fiction out there! I hope you love Marley and Me as much as I did! I am so glad my mom talked me into reading the Mitford series! I am looking forward to the newest Father Tim book! Happy Reading.
Wow, I am amazed at your ambition. I do love Christmas stories!
I'm really behind on reading my friends' posts! I told Barb that I am not prone to make a list of books to read. I'm always reading something (mostly fiction!), and maybe I should just take a picture of the books stacked up beside my recliner - I don't like to set goals like that, because it feels like pressure instead of enjoyment!
I had not heard the good news about Jan Karon. When's the first one going to be out? I have The Choice on hold at the library. I rarely buy books any more, but always have about 10 on hold at the library.
Tammy - I think I am very nearly brain dead these days. I don't have a list to post this time. What I'm doing is reading everyone else's to try to get some ideas for books to read. I'm just sort of at that "dry" spell where I can't find a good book I want to read. I go to the library, bring home the books, read a chapter or two only to discover it really isn't the book for me.
I used to feel that way about Christian writers, but that has really changed in recent years.
I'm rereading Out to Canaan right now (I got so disgusted with trying to find a good book, I hauled out my whole Jan Karon series and have been reading those for the fourth time.).
I will copy down some of your choices because they sound really good.
Good List. Point those naysayers about poorly written Christian fiction to Bodie Thoene, Dee Henderson, or Frank Perritti to name a fee and see what they have to say then. I used to never read Christian fiction up until a couple years ago. Now I love it.
Robin
Caddie Woodlawn! Oh! I'm going to read that with Ella when she gets old enough to enjoy it. It was definitely one of my favorites--along with Little Women, etc.
That's good news about Jan Karon having a new series. I truly like the characters in Mitford. Such a sweet story!
You're right--There is some really good Christian fiction out there. I just discovered in the last couple of years how much the genre has grown. To me that is a good thing--but there are still some authors or types of books that I choose not to read. And there are a couple that are pretty light reading that I enjoy for just that reasoon. Sometimes I just need something light and easy. Sometimes I need something that makes me think a little more.
I've had a little trouble getting a list together for the Fall Reading this. I'm going to finish it tonight!
Francine Rivers is one of my most favorite authors. I think you'll like most any of her books. She's very gifted with storytelling!
I just finished Daniel by Beth Moore in August. It is a phenomenal study! I'm excited for you! Don't miss the videos - they are much more important for this study than they are for any of the previous ones. You are going to learn so much!!! Enjoy the study!
Reading more is a goal of mine too. Great selections! I started a bible study during the summer at home. Maybe I'll finish it before I sign up for one at a local church in January.
Have fun reading. I enjoy Ted Dekker myself. He's an excellent "no fluff" Christain author.
Wow...great list, Tammy! I think that the book by Maria Von Trapp sounds wonderful. I haven't read that, but love that whole story.
I hope you have a great week and enjoy your reading.
:-) Susan
Good list Tammy! I have to agree with you in what you said on your soapbox! I know not all christian fiction is the best written stuff but I still enjoy it for the reasons you said and sometimes I think it's better for me to fill my mind with something edifying rather than better written things that are filled with bad language...although I still read those at times.
I love the Mitford books! The Maria one sounds interesting and I read Caddie Woodlawn years ago and funny enough, just thought about it again last week and thought I might reread it sometime!
I met Siri Mitchell a few years ago. She is a sweet Christian mom and wife. She has a few books out there and has a website, too-
http://sirimitchell.com
Hi Tammy, WOW! That's some list of books :) Where do you find all the time to read?
Great to catch up on your blog.
Sandy
you'll be up all night
OH how I love to read...you will adore Marley and Me.
OH! Pippi Longstocking! I need to read them with Grace!
Thank you for reminding me!
Hugs,
Sue
What a grat list. I was inspired to join the Challenge for the very first time and I'm really looking forward to it. I will be interested to hear how you like the VonTrapp book.
I had read through and owned the whole Mitford series. I gave it away. Now I want to read through them again. Guess I better see if the library has them. I'm happy to see that she is writing more.
I had a goal for reading this year. I think I am surpassing it, but since I have neglected to write down all I have read, I am not certain. Anyway it is nice to be back reading regularly. I usually have 3-5 books going at the same time, in different rooms.
What a great list! Happy reading!
-Heather
What a great list! I'd love to read the Maria book. I also forgot about the Caddie Woodlawn books, but would love to read them with my daughter. Thanks for the ideas, and happy reading!
I keep picking up "Chateau of Echoes" and putting it back...would love to read your review of that one especially!!
Post a Comment