
It's been ages since I participated in Works for me Wednesday, hosted by Rocks in the Dryer. But my husband has recently invented a fun way to help our little ones not only do more chores around the house- but actually get excited about it!
In days gone by, we tried the "chore chart", but they sadly fell by the wayside, time and time again. I know they work for some families, but for us, it's been too hard to keep them up consistently.
Enter, the Chore Ticket.
Yep, I do believe my husband was brilliant this time. But he admits, it was borrowed, in part, by our Sunday School's current reward system.
You see, the Sunday School at our church gives out homework- simply things like a verse to memorize or a puzzle to work through looking up some scriptures. If your child turns it back in all finished, they get a pretend "buck", good for purchasing things at the little booth that opens up just once a month.
A little incentive, plus it helps kids learn about purchase decisions...spend my one buck right away on these three pieces of candy, or save up and buy a "big-ticket" item.
So, my husband's little light bulb over his head went off one day and announced that for doing certain chores, both girls (ages 8 and 5) would earn appropriate chore tickets.
But here is where he used his artistic sense, taking it one step further...
They would each design their own chore ticket, he's scan them, and place a photo of each of them in the center like a president on a dollar bill.

Something about not only earning tickets, but simultaneously feeling as important as Thomas Jefferson that makes them actually eager to fold laundry...and even use the ..um...doggie scooper in the back yard.
Now, it's up to me who is home with them more to dole out the appropriate tickets for the tasks. And usually they get to spend them when they're shopping with their daddy at Winco. Although mainly a grocery store, they do sell toys...(And don't underestimate the lure of an extra 4-pack of pudding in those little plastic cups. Two tickets will let you plunk that in the shopping cart.)
We're not sure exactly how long we'll keep this little monetary system in play. But for now, it's teaching them some good old fashioned work ethic, and they're having fun, to boot. (Plus, I'm getting lots and lots of help!) Definitely working for us!
Oh, and in case you're wondering...six scoops of doggie stuff equals a ticket. Our lab just can't seem to turn 'em out fast enough these days!








26 comments:
Terrific idea from my very smart son-in-law. Younger kids are apt to be more excited about helping which seems to sort of fade as they get older. I think all kids should have responsibilities, & it should be started when they are young. It also gives them a sense of accomplishment when they are helpers.
Oh, this is SO smart! Chores have been an issue here, too, and I like this idea VERY much.
Great idea! Can mommies earn chore tickets too? :o)
Ha! That is funny! Poop tickets. Great idea!
I remember these days. If it is any consolation, my 24 yr-old son is living at home for 1/2 his week as he finished college. Several times I have caught him doing dishes and mowing the lawn, always without being asked.
They grow up.
Very good idea. Where were you guys when my kids were smaller?
Your hubby really came up with a good one this time..such a terrific idea! I wish I would have thought of this when my sons were little! lol I guess the girls are glad that the dog is helping earn tickets! LOL xoxo
great idea!
What a fun way to reward children for helping around the house. Your husband is so clever Tammy!
xo
How funny. Your husband is a genius. Not only are your kids working to keep their home nice, they are learning money skills as well. Nice job!
Come on over and help me spread some love. It's a love fest at my blog. Bring some friends and family with you! We all benefit.
I'd love to find a way to get me excited about MY CHORES! ~ jb///
I like this! "Cash" is much more tangible and spendable for younger children, than "coupons." I wonder if you could come up with a few "coins" as a mini-reward too? :~) Lol, these days, I have to dole out the real thing (moola) to my children. WFMW is a wonderful meme. {{{Hugs}}}
Lately we've been pondering chores and allowances. This sounds like a great idea! Thanks!
Oh, I love it. What a great idea! They're own faces on it too. Definitely a self esteem booster.
Great idea! I particularly like the picture idea! You can't get the tickets mixed up that way! Brilliant!
I just wish I had thought of that twenty something years ago because chore charts were not our strong point either.
What a very clever idea! Thanks for sharing it. If our current system gives out, I will definitely give this one a whirl. It is always great to have a back up plan:)
BTW, starting on Monday, I will be hosting a promotion/contest/charity event. Please be sure to stop by! You won't want to miss it!
My very strange (and groovy) girlies actually LIKE to do chores.
Girly-Girl left her dishes on the bar.
Mean Mom: "Girly-Girl, you know better than that. Please take your dishes and then you will have to do an entra chore as a cruel and unusual punishment."
Girly-Girl: "Oh BOY! An EXTRA chore! Can I wash the bathroom sink, or do I get to empty all the trash cans???? Oh, I know! I could sweep the porch and then I could empty the compost pot!!"
Silly Head (pouting): " I NEVER get to do extra chores!"
Yep, life is tough around here.
(But I will definitely file you idea away for the future because I KNOW this stage won't last!)
Cool idea! We did the chore charts throughout the years, and they were not kindly thought of! LOL!
You have a very smart hubby!
I love it! I will definitely be passing this on to Kristen! She needs the help - badly!
I agree your hubby is quite smart. What a creative way to get the kids to do chores. If my kids were little, I would have so borrowed this idea.
What a cute idea to put their faces on the "dollar bills"! That is so creative and fun!
Thanks for sharing your great idea!
Creative incentive - I agree, sounds better than a chore chart, which has also fallen by the wayside over here. I'll give it a go. :-)
I am so sending this to my middle daughter!!!!
What a great idea!
What a creative idea, and I LOVE that your husband helped create it.
Great idea! I'll have to remember this. =)
Thanks for sharing! We always struggle with new ideas to keep chores done (when the old idea stops working :). This is a great tip - we'll definitely have to try it out.
Post a Comment