
This was one of those good parenting days.I had wondered what this day might be like, with her sister not here to play with her and entertain.
My 8 year old is staying (for the very first time- without me, that is!) with her grandma for a few nights for some special bonding time together.
Meanwhile, my five year old and I have had our own bonding time- and I have to say, it was wonderful.
In fact, we had our first official day of home school Kindergarten here at home- just the two of us. I wanted to take advantage of being able to focus all my attention on her, and let her first day as a Kindergartener be extra special.
She was so excited about it, and her enthusiasm was contagious!
She helped me make the finishing touches on a big classroom type calendar I made- with apples we traced and cut out for each day of the week.
You would not believe how excited she was over this calendar. It completely made my morning just to see the joy on her face over this one, simple thing.
We sat together in the little spare room-turned classroom while she did a couple simple pages in each of her workbooks...we sang songs together....went outside for some fresh air...she read to me from her beginner book (she's just now learning to sound out words and it's very exciting for her- and me!) and I read a book of her choosing to her.
It was one of those idealistic mornings- truly! I had so much fun spending this quality learning time with her...and I think she enjoyed having Mommy all to herself.
It wasn't just the official Kindergarten morning that went so well...
Later, we went to get a couple things at the store and I bought her some new sidewalk chalk that was on sale. It doesn't take that much for my little one to be thrilled. At five, the smallest of gifts is call for jubilation.
Afterward, my child continued to be wonderful. Yes, she did. She played a computer learning game while I washed up the dishes and started dinner and then after her daddy came home, he went outside with her to play with the chalk.

After dinner, since she didn't have her sister here to play with her, I sat with her for just a bit and played with the doll house.
And right before bedtime, her daddy and I were treated to a one-girl puppet\doll show. Our tickets cost $4 in imaginary, invisible money, but it was well worth it, believe me!
When we all took turns talking to her sister and grandma on the phone, it turns out that they, too, had some incredible quality time together. I can't wait to hear more about it!
I am so very thankful that my oldest had this precious time with her grandmother...as you all know, her grandmother is 80, so this is truly precious time they have shared.
And meanwhile, I am so blessed to have had this sweet first day of Kindergarten alone with my youngest.
Each of these opportunities are so rare- and to be treasured.
As every parent will attest to (and every home schooling parent, in particular) not all days are such complete perfection.
Some are both grand and horrible all at the same time. Or even a few have just plain hair-pulling moments from start to finish, whether you home school or not.
I know I have had my share.
But when we can have a day such as this come our way once in awhile, golden and satisfying, it makes parenting completely and totally worth every soiled diaper and ear-shattering tantrum we had to endure.
And when they are all too soon grown and moved away, I just have a feeling that the ones that will remain crystal clear in our memories will be these rare and golden times.
And what they will be remembering, too.








31 comments:
What a special way to start school! I am sure she really enjoyed having mom to herself!
I'm so happy for all of you - what a lovely way to start the new school year.
What a great start, and what great memories for both the girls. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.
How nice that her first day of kindergarten turned out so special. Spending time with grandma is always special around here.
Cherish every special moment! You are right - they go way too fast!
Wonderful! I love to come to the end of a day and have that warm feeling of satisfaction that it truly was a good day.
This brings back such awesome memories of the times my kids stayed with their grandparents and I LOVE having my little granddaughter stay with me. I simply treasure those times.
And what a blessing for you! Precious!
What a wonderful post! Nice to have those special times together and do it as often as you can as these years will just fly by now that she has started school!!! I like to have my grandchildren one at a time to make it more special for them and they really enjoy being the 'only' one.
Oh, that was a golden day. I wish you many, many more this year.
Oh it sounds like a perfect start to Kindergarten! How special that you could spend one on one time with her. I remember doing that with Alaina, and taking a nature walk the first day. She still talks about it, too.
It's nice that your 8 year old could spend the time with your mom. She's also making wonderful memories.
Have a wonderful week and week-end!
that does sound like it was a wonderful day full of bonding!
I really am so happy for you all. Such a super beginning with warm memories made.
They grow up so fast so I know you cherish each of these moments!
Beautiful kids...
Oh! Tell Mandy that Kipper would be ever so glad to be her escort to Ritters anytime!! : )
Hugs,
Sue
It sounds like a wonderfully, special day Tammy. What little one doesn't love having Mom all to themselves. These are the days that make precious memories.
What a great post to read. It's always nice to hear about the wonderful times in life, the bonding, and the making of special memories. I'm happy that your whole family is getting to experience such special times.
lucky grandma, too
What a wonderful story of the first day of school. I hope it is a day she will remember forever--I know you will!
How wonderful for you all. It is amazing how the dynamic change when just one person is added or removed from the home.
I love being with my kids, but there is something neat about being with them individually as well. Even five minutes can be amazing.
I'm glad you had this day!
Awww...that's really neat. I'm sure it's something that she'll always remember.
:-) Susan
When you get a minute, Part 3 is up!
Yes it was a special bonding time for "Nammy" with my oldest granddaughter who is a real delight to have around. I loved hearing those please & thank yous coming from her, a real reflection of what she has learned at home. We of course had to watch the two High School Musicals I had taped & am amazed at the fact that has memorized the songs & sings them on key. We also painted with water colors & it was a special bonding time. Coincidently we talked about it being a time to make memories.
Sounds like a great start and isn't it wonderful when we have those good parenting days! Times to remember for when the going might be a bit rough.
Sounds like a perfect day! My 5 year old is loving kindergarten at home, too!
Isn't it wonderful when a child is so eager to learn...I didn't homeschool but my boys loved school and loved learning. I think it's awesome that you could start off her kindergarten class with your full attention, she will treasure that also:-) Also wonderful is the fact that your older daughter could spend time with her grandma...when I was that age, being able to stay with gran for a couple of days was like Christmas all over again! xox
So much going on there... and special memories being created...
What a great way to start the school year! I'm sure they'll both cherish the memory.
Congrats on a good parenting day! :-)
What a wonderful way to start the new school year off...special time together!
Kelli
What an incredible day to indulge in each other and pay attention. Blessings big time!
Every year gets better with raising our children, and I find that the golden moments are priceless as well.
Growing with Julia
What blessing to start off school in such a wonderful way. I'm sure it was special to her also.
So true!!
Susan
What a great first day of school! You must be so proud!
That is a special day...many more to come :)
Post a Comment