Friday, September 21, 2007

Show and Tell Friday (#4)


It's that time again! Welcome to Show and Tell Friday, hosted by Kelli at There is no place like Home. (You can join in the fun by stopping by to view the others or find out how you can participate!)


Last weekend, I took the girls down to my mom's house to spend the night, where I had one last yard sale for her. We're going to be fixing up the old place a bit in order to put in on the market, and though we've already been in the process of helping her declutter, we decided to have... one last yard sale.
Truly! One...last...yard sale.

As I was rummaging through her garage, I found a few bags of paperwork that had made it's way out there. Most were very old bills and magazines...and hidden between all the old ads and phone bills, something pink caught my eye. I pulled it out, and found something that looked very familiar.

(My lighting wasn't very good...but you can click on the picture for a better look.)


I tell you, it was like stepping through a time machine. A little story that I made when I was about eight years old.
Only two pieces of blank paper, folded to make it look like a book...not even put together with any adhesive or staples. But somehow it had stayed together.

Now, I actually do remember seeing this off and on throughout the years. My mom and I had been saving it. But somehow, it had gotten lost in the shuffle, awaiting it's certain doom in to the recycle bin.

This one, if I remember right, was suppose to be like some of the children's books I had read when I was even younger. And according the price I wrote on the cover, I was not only trying to make it look real, perhaps I thought it had a market value of 5 cents.

I wrote countless stories growing up. Some I'd finish, but many others were "chapter books" that I'd keep starting and never finish.
Seems to be my trademark, since even today, I'm a wannabe writer, with a novel just "this close" from being finished. Sigh.

Some of those stories (and half-stories) that I wrote throughout the growing up years also somehow managed to be saved and escape the trash and survive our countless moves as a child. But finding this particular little book was meaningful because it was one of my very first story attempts.
I can almost remember writing it, and showing it proudly to my parents in that house in Kent...

And now, what makes this even more special is the timing. My oldest child is exactly the same age as I had been at the time, and I am just a little excited that she has a strong love for writing, as well! Her hand-writing is so similar to mine was at the time, and so is her style! (Only hers is a tad better!)

And for your entertainment, here's a sampling of this epic novel, entitled,
"May I have a cookie?" taken directly from this ancient manuscript, spelling errors, included...;)
Keep in mind, at age eight, I think I had high hopes of selling this to some eager first grader...

"One day Michael descuvvered that thay ran out of cookies. He told James. James said that they could get more tomorrow.
'We can get more, Michael, maybe tomorrow.' But Michael couldn't wait. He ran to tell his mother. (His father was in the Army.)
Mother said, "We can't go to the store today, I'm sorry."
So Michale looked for people who would give him a cookies, or two."

And then later, the plot continues...

"Soon Michael found a dog. In front of it was a man." Pausing to ask, OK, is this not humor at it's best, I ask you? ;) Michael asked,"May I have a cookie? He looked down. "You may not!" he said. 'What a unpolite little boy!"



I know you all are on the edge of your seat wondering if Michael ever got any cookies. But let me tell you, like all good stories do when you're eight, it had a happy ending.

But here is a picture on the first page. It's Michael, apparently, nonchalantly walking to the kitchen, completely unaware of the disaster of the empty cookie jar which awaits him...


(Hmmm...my artistic ability hasn't improved much- I kind of draw like that now.)

In all seriousness, not only was this a blessing to find and rescue because of my own personal memories...but it was so fun to share it with my family- especially my own little eight year old writer.

And this wasn't the only little gem I plucked out of the garage last weekend. There's more to come!

So...be careful when sorting your eighty year old mother's papers. Underneath her 1986 Woman's Day magazine just might be your own prize epic from third grade just waiting to be found.

35 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

That is absolutely amazing!!! And to have a daughter who's writing is a lot like yours is super...with interest in composing ---well that is terrific!!

Great show and tell

Anonymous said...

What a treasure. That is so fun.

I think it is neat that you found it when your daughter is the same age and interested in writing. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

So glad you saved this important document!!! It's interesting that your daughter, the same age, has the same handwriting!
Susan

Anonymous said...

neat!

nannykim said...

sounds like a good story to me and the suspense had me going!! When I was a child I would go to the "rich" neighbor in the big old house down the street and knock on the door and ask for candy--the housekeeper even let me and my friend go up to his bedroom (we came that early!) to see him. Boy, did we get in trouble when our parents found out!! So I can empathize with your character!!! FUnny how kids think--your book was delightful--maybe you should publish it, eh?

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing ever! I love it! What a great treasure!

You have a ver nice Blog!

Sharon

LBP said...

Your show and tell made my morning! LOL!!!

How much fun is that to find, hiding in old papers and magazines.

So, who finally gave Michael a cookie???

Anonymous said...

What a great find and the story is wonderful miss spellings and all. I've always really enjoyed kids stories. There are a few of us Northwesterners who are doing show and tell this week. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Love it and what an inspiration for your daughter!

Anonymous said...

How totally sweet! This is what makes me want to go through papers and things carefully rather than just tossing them.

someone else said...

What an amazing discovery! This was fun to read.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

So cute! Such nice memories to share with your children!

I saved a few of my daughter's "books" that they composed too!

Katherine

Susie said...

Don't you love looking back on those sweet reminders from your childhood?
I come across them from time to time and it just transports me back to those days..
Fun post!
xo

Susannah said...

Buried treasure! Your Mom was so sweet to have saved your story. (I have all mine safely tucked away... somewhere!)

Today I have a surprise for you. When you get a chance, please come take a look. Hugs, e-Mom

gail@more than a song said...

That is a treasure! And what fun to show your girls.
No telling what I'd find if I started cleaning out.

Susanne said...

That's really cute. And you're right, the timing is just perfect!

Carole Burant said...

Awwww Tammy, I just love this, bless your little 8 year old author heart! lol Isn't it funny how things are just meant to be found again? As you say, perfect timing too since your own daughter is now the age you were when you wrote it. So very precious! xox

Barb said...

You're very lucky she saved things like this, Tammy. I don't have a single thing, not one single thing, from my childhood. Apparently when my parents moved from Texas to Colorado, my Dad "purged" everything. All my dolls, all my school papers, even my prom dresses. Gone. Sigh.

What a wonderful discovery!

Unknown said...

I love looking back at things i have created as a kid. I loved the story by the way!

Corrie said...

That's great! I love the drawing and the spelling. It's fun to find something like that and feel like you can catch a glimpse of yourself as a child!
Thanks for sharing!

Sondra said...

What a wonderful memory to have. That is the cutest thing. You should really find a good way to preserve that. I myself was an aspiring writer as a child. I began a "novel" when I was about 14. I had forgotten about it until our house fire a few years back and found it in some of the rubble. It is burned around the edges, but it survived. I can truly understand how overjoyed you were to find that!
Oh and I never put a price on mine :)LOL

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This just made my day. It's so sweet and poignant. And yes, humorous. I love the "lilt' in Michael's saunter up to the cookie jar, with his back leg up! I was just like you when I was little, writing stories. Very fun, Tammy!

Linda said...

What a wonderful find Tammy. When my daughter was about that age I joined a writer's group at church. She decided she wanted to write as well and began writing lengthy stories. They were actually quite good. I think she still has all of them (I sure hope she does). These days she is a gifted writer doing editing, magazine articles, newsletters for our local university, medical editing just to name a few. I am so proud of her. We both love writing and it is such fun to have that in common - although she is light years ahead of me!

Justabeachkat said...

What a treasure! Very cute! I love looking back at things from my childhood and from my own children's childhood.

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs!
Kat

ruth said...

That story & the pictures are so much the way your own little 8 year old writes & draws. I was delighted to read the 12 chapter imaginary story she wrote about me as a little girl. That apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree. Hers too was a sweet story.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

What a cute memory to pass on to your daughter:) I bet she loved seeing this.

Lynne said...

That is the cutest little book. What a treasure to share with your family.

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

How fun! Glad you were able to find your treasure again!

Thanks for visiting my blog
~Amy

Karen said...

Oh, so very sweet that you found it again! That is indeed a treasure to hold on to.

Nadine said...

That was so delightful. Wow what a treasure. You were talented at such a young age.

Unknown said...

That is such a wonderful treasure, Tammy! I'm so glad you found this special keepsake from your childhood!
Kelli

Michelle said...

what a wonderful piece of your history has been saved all these years! I can only imagine the treasures you've unearthed! I bet your daughters enjoyed your story :)

Anonymous said...

You were quite talented for an 8 year old. I have an eight year old, and, well, ....

What a treasure - worth much more than 5 cents!

(here from e-mom's)

Anonymous said...

A treasure!

Anonymous said...

When my Grandma moved into a nursing home, my Mom and her brother were sorting out her belongings that were stored in her garage. In a trunk they found an origional newspaper with the news of the Titanic's sinking. I think my uncle took it home. I know my Mom really wanted it. Either way, history is unearthed in many garages I believe.

I'm glad you found this story. It is cute and clever. Love the perspective drawing of the kitchen.