Sunday, September 02, 2007

Week in Review...


I'm just taking a moment from our busy Labor Day weekend to check in....
I hope every else (who celebrates this holiday- is it U.S. only?) is enjoying the 3-day weekend!
Thank you to all of your sweet replies on my recent Show and Tell -and my parents' anniversary post. I know my mom read all of these, too, and those replies were a blessing!


So here's our week in review...

Our weather has been absolutely gorgeous!
I'm kind of sorry we weren't able to get away...the coast would have been perfect! But what have we mostly doing so far this Labor Day weekend? Laboring.


We're in home improvement mode again...both for ourselves and for my mom.
We're helping her get her house a bit more ready to sell...and we're picking out paint colors for the outside of our own home.
Our house desperately needed the exterior painted from the time we bought it over five years ago...and finally, it looks like we'll be doing it in a few weeks!

Oh, and we're taking advantage of the Labor Day sales and buying a
new front door!
Funny, how when you're a grown-up, you get excited over things like this.
I can't say I reach the level of giddiness that my husband does, however, perusing the isles of H*me Depot. I think that store still has more of it's following with men...something about the smell of plywood that gets their engines revved and ready to hammer something big.

We're taking all of Monday, though, to do some odd jobs around my mom's house and I'll be helping her do sorting.
Lots and lots of stuff.
Decades and decades of stuff.

She and I are both pretty sentimental when it comes to stuff (as you might have guessed from my last post) but we are determined to do this. We both know she can't take all of this with her to her next place, so it has to be done!

For the past three years, we've been talking about selling her house and getting her moved closer to us...we're determined to finally make this a reality.
She's 80...it's time. Not to mention with her closer, it's more Nammy time for the girls!

We didn't want all work and no play this weekend, so Saturday we stole away briefly to go berry and picking and have a picnic right there on the premises.
We tried to pick corn, but it just wasn't quite ripe enough yet. Still, we had fun trying to find some...




That corn was as high as an elephant's eye! (OK, do you all know what song that comes from?)

We did a few other errands along the way, coming home to barbecue some hot dogs...which the girls and their daddy ate in their clubhouse!
(It was so cute to see the three of them in there like that...it just said "summer" to me.)

And nothing beats the end of a hot summer day like french vanilla ice cream topped with the blackberries you just picked!



Oh- and this past week ended the girls' swimming lessons.
I can't believe how far they both have come, and especially my oldest. Last year, she was so timid in the water- even at age 7. This year, she was like virtual mermaid!

On the last day of classes, they all got to don life jackets and take rides on boogie boards.
As you can guess, they loved it!


So now, this week, it's back to school. And for us, that means home school. And right now, we're all actually very excited about it all...a very good thing!
Especially my youngest. She knows that this year is her Kindergarten year, and since she has already started to learn to read, she is bubbling with excitement about being a big girl!


But we still have a bit of summer clinging to us all. Our cool weather is giving way to a bit of "Indian Summer" ...that, and the fact that all of the High School Musical tunes are constantly being sung around here.
Don't try coming over and asking for the time. Just don't.
Any questions such as, "What time is it?"
will promptly be answered by any of us, either in song or even better- in monotone by my husband...


"Summertime... It's our vacation!"

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's probably just as well...)

So, anyway, I will try to visit everyone as I can this coming week, but it may it may take me awhile!

Because over the strains of Troy and Gabriella singing around the swimming pool, there's no denying it. It's the sound of school bells!

21 comments:

someone else said...

The song is from the musical "Oklahoma". That's such a fun show.

someone else said...

"Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" (forgot to put the name of the song in)

gail@more than a song said...

That song is from Oklahoma! I used it as a post title once!

Don't work too hard this weekend...good pictures!
My sil sells front doors online!

Susanne said...

Glad you got some fun stuff in in the midst of the work. Berries over ice cream. Yum!

I was almost dancing for joy when we got our new front door this summer. It just made a total difference in the look of our entryway. Love it.

How nice that your mom will be closer. My mom lives in my city and I don't know what I would do if she wasn't.

ruth said...

Loved the pictures & can't wait to see Y'all tomorrow. The little mermaids looked so cute in the pool & in the corn field.

Myrna said...

No way you can be bored! You are so busy!

Good pictures of your family having fun!

Beck said...

Looks like a fun week!
We have Labour Day in Canada, too.

Carole Burant said...

What time is it???? hehe Sounds like a very busy weekend you're having and I know what you mean about men and Home Depot...they do tend to go in some sort of trance don't they!! lol I can just see you bringing home whatever your mom doesn't want when you start sorting out her stuff...that's how I am with my mom, we don't want to get rid of anything! LOL Ice cream and fresh berries...yummmm, is there nothing more that says summer than THAT!! Happy Labour Day dear Tammy:-) xoxo

Christie Belle said...

Busy, busy! Sounds like it was a productive weekend! Happy Labor Day to you and your family! Looks like that picnic and berry picking was fun, and turned out to be tasty:) Very cute pictures. It's so nice of y'all to spend your labor day helping out your mom, she's lucky to have such a great family! It will be nice when she is closer.

Karen said...

How sweet of you to help your mom out. It's so nice when family is close by.
Happy Labor Day!

Linda said...

Tammy - I apologize!! This is exactly why I find it so difficult to cut back on blogging time. I just know the minute I don't read everyone's post on the day they write I'll miss something important.
Thank you so much Tammy. I appreciate that award more than I can say - especially coming from someone as sweet as you. I am honored.
I love you little turtle. What a sweet face. I didn't hang on to all my old things and really wish now that I had.
You are going to love having your Mom closer by. I know I do. There was nothing harder than saying goodby to my folks when they lived hundreds of miles away. It is a blessing to be able to jump in the car and in thirty minutes be at their little house.
You and your husband are so sweet to help her. I know she feels very blessed.
Oklahoma!!! When I was a teenager I loved singing all the broadway songs. West Side Story, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Camelot - I loved them all.
Have a blessed day Tammy - and thank you so much again.

Mrs. Geezerette said...

I've been out of the blogging loop for several days and am afraid I may have missed some good stuff at your blog.

Yes, the song is from the musical "Oklahoma" which reminds me that this summer I took three of our granddaughters to a community theatre presentation of Oklahoma. It was great. The girls got some exposure to one of our best examples of Broadway musicals. They also got a break from some of the popular music of the day.

Anonymous said...

I knew that song was from Oklahoma, but so many have already answered.

And you have been very busy. Very. Sounds like you won't be slowing down anytime soon either.

Jill said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. Blessings for a great school year!

Nadine said...

Glad you had some fun. We had vanilla ice cream with blackberries and rasberries for dessert last night. It's yummy.

Dawn said...

Sounds like a busy, fruitful week-end. I spend mine under a tree reading good books, getting over my nasty cold - and watching my husband work, feeling a bit guilty!

We have those early fall mornings going, but up to low 90s during the day. I love fall so much.

Have a great first week of school!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

you make me smile with all of your "Doins". I hope you are not too exhausted.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

It's wonderful that your Mom is going to be closer to you - good for everybody. Helping her sort through things will be a huge task, more than a single day job I'm sure. I don't want to think about all the stuff that my Mom has accumulated over 45 years in her house.

Happy back to school week!

Sandy said...

what a blessing to have your mom nearby ...
and a busy weekend you had!
fun pix of the girls
sandy

Kelli said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I understand about getting excited about a new door, it's been on my wish list for many years. :0)
I'm so glad that you are enjoying our new magazine, thank you for your sweet comment!
Kelli

Pamela said...

I so understood the new door feeling. we got a new slider to our patio - it slides.... it really slides. Our old door was jerking at best as we tried to slide it open.

And it's winterized, so it should let less cold in.

I recognized the song from Oklahoma, too.

Enjoy the Indian Summer.