Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Five years Ago...


Five Years Ago Today...

They placed you on my chest and I held you for the very first time. I felt as if I could hold you forever.

You came into the world...and my heart.

You were the baby I prayed for.
I was already blessed with one wonderful child...but after recently feeling the pain of losing a pregnancy, I wanted so desperately to have another.
And growing up as I did, an only child, I wanted so much for my child to have a sibling.

Yet...I wasn't getting any younger.

And though I loved my first child so much, the trauma surrounding her birth left me weak afterwards, and unable to truly enjoy the maternal experience of a new baby in her early weeks.
I longed for a chance to give birth without terrifying complications...to hold my baby without weak arms, and in a cloud of depression.
I wanted to feel the overwhelming joy instead.


And as many prayers went up, God graciously smiled down on me, and gave me the desire of my heart.

One year to the month after losing a pregnancy, you came into the world....
smooth as silk...sweet as Springtime...and into my waiting arms.


And when I first gazed upon you, my first thought was that I already knew you. Like when you're meeting someone new but feeling like like you've known them all of your life.
And all the tender emotions I knew were waiting under the surface came flooding out, just as I hoped they would.


Thinking of this gift God granted me makes me well up with tears today.

You were more than just a second child. You were a second chance at so much.

Your sister's life is fuller because of you...and so are your mommy's and daddy's life.

I still feel as if I could hold you forever. But I know I cannot completely do that...not in the same way. And at the moment, I feel just a little sad at the thought...

Still...I know that in a way, I will always hold you close...throughout our lives and always.

Happy 5th birthday, sweet girl~

34 comments:

ruth said...

She has brought great joy & has filled that empty hurting spot from the loss of the little one who was never able to be born. We know that the Lord has a reason for all things, & each life has a purpose. She makes me laugh & has such a wonderful imagination, as does sweetie girl. The Lord is so good to have replaced the sadness we all felt,with this happy bubbly little person who can be both serious & funny.

Momma Roar said...

What a beautiful post...thank you for sharing your heart with us this morning.

Henny Penny said...

Precious!

Big Mama said...

Beautiful post. Give that girl a happy birthday hug for me.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!
Happy Birthday!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This is so beautiful!

Happy Birthday sweet girl!

gail@more than a song said...

That was so beautiful Tammy! Makes me teary.
Happy birthday to your sweetie!
Great picture too.

Susie said...

What a tender and loving post. I got very teary reading this Tammy..
Happy Birthday to your precious little one. I bet those five years just flew by...
xo

Susanne said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

That is one precious picture of the three of you! Very touching!

Beautiful post, Tammy of your love for your girl.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post to your precious little one! Brought tears to my eyes! I hope she has a wonderful birthday!

someone else said...

What sweet words!! Happy Birthday to your precious little girl.

Ash said...

Oh goodness, what a wonderful post. I'm in tears. Happy Birthday to your sweet little one!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Such a sweet tribute, Tammy. :-)

And Happy Birthday to the the birthday girl! :-)

I think Avon Skin So Soft may be the insect repellent you were trying to think of in my comments. I've had varying results with it and the gnats especially just keep fogging around me and biting me anyway when I use the SSS. Thanks for trying to help, though. :-)

Dawn said...

What a special gift! Happy birthday to her and Happy Birth-Day to you and her daddy! I can'b believe it's almost Care Bear's 5th - where does the time go??

Check out my Wordless Wednesday, speaking of Care Bear. It'll give you a good chuckle - taken at least a year and a half ago - my, how her drawing has grown up since then!

Susan said...

What a beautiful tribute to your little girl. Congratulations on her birthday. May you all be blessed.

:-) Susan

Michelle said...

Happy 5th birthday to your daughter! What a wonderful tribute you wrote!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I love that! Congratulations! And Happy, Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

Beck said...

Beautiful! Happy birthday to your girl.

Looney Mom™ said...

Yes, what a blessing. And yes, you can feel happy and sad all at the same time.

Happy Birthday Sweet Girl.

Mandalyn said...

That is so sweet!! Aren't they just the best blessing??!!

God Bless!

Karen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your second daughter! My second daughter's birthday is Monday.
Happy Birthday to your big 5 year old blessing!

Myrna said...

How beautiful! Your daughter is blessed to be loved so dearly.

We also celebrate a princess birthday this week. Our only granddaughter will be three. She is special--and keeps us laughing!

Donnetta said...

Beautiful post... just beautiful!!

Happy Birthday to your dear sweet girl!

Sheila said...

A touching post and a meaningful one to every woman. Happy birthday to your dear daughter..!
xx

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post for your daughter! My son turned 5 in January. Where does the time go? They are truly blessings!

deedee said...

This is a beautiful post Tammy. Happy Birthday to your special youngest daughter.

groovyoldlady said...

Blubber, sob, sniffle! Pass the hankies...I'm off to go hug MY 5 year-old!

Linda said...

That is beautiful Tammy. Happy Birthday to the sweet little birthday girl. She will love reading that some day.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh you sweet girl! Your daughter will treasure this someday. And yes, those second children are precious beyond what we thought possible!

Robin Green said...

That is a very precious post--thank for sharing and a happy birthday to your precious girl. Thanks for your sweet words to me!

Christie Belle said...

Oh, how beautiful. My eyes are watery from this one. What a sweet birthday tribute to your baby girl. I hope you save this, even though it probably makes your precious one feel special now, I know it will mean so much to your daughter when she gets a little older.

Nicole said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

Grafted Branch said...

It seems I'm always a half step behind keeping up on your posts, but a happy belated to your big girl.

This was a lovely, heartfelt tribute. She'll treasure your words when she's older.

Heart of Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing this heartwarming post. It's a lovely tribute. Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter. May God shower her with blessings.