Maybe you've heard this quote before. I know I had. But this past Easter service, the meaning became more real.
This past weekend, our church had a special speaker for Easter, named Nick Vujicic. He was from Australia...and had the charming "down under" accent, a gorgeous face and a fantastic sense of humor. Oh... and he just happened to have been born with no arms or legs.
We knew he was going to be there. The previous weeks, they had shown a short film about him...how he got up in the morning, shaved, used the computer...and how he preaches to thousands in Indonesia, Africa, and many countries all over the world where most Christian messages wouldn't even be allowed.
He has one little half-foot on the end of his body (which he jokingly called a little chicken foot) and is able to sort of "walk" around. And it's by this, he can move a computer mouse around and even type 45 words per minute.
So, Easter morning we were prepared. but what what we weren't prepared for was the was that God had poured such complete love and joy into his life, and it radiated out of him with incredible brightness.
He put everyone at ease, by his incredible humor...He stood on a bench the entire time, and at the beginning, he had a little boy volunteer come up so he could show how he was able to kick a ball to him. He kept teasing us all...."I need to go just a little further back..." as he edged back towards the end of the bench. "Just a little further back... a little further..." He would throw us a twinkly smile and the congregation was laughing so nervously as he got to the very edge.
A short time later, he said he could do a back flip off of the bench..."Ready?" he asks with his Australian accent. We all laugh and shake our heads no...but he acts like he's about to take flight.
Then, "Not really! Are you kidding? I could break an arm or something!"
Giving out "Hugs"

All of this was to put us all at ease before he gave his real message. He spoke of a time in his growing up years when he wasn't always so joyful. He did feel sorry for himself, as would be so completely natural. He longed to have a "normal" life...not to just to do the normal things like we all take for granted, but he also longed to someday get married and have a family. But he could never hold his wife's hand...nor hug his children.
As a child, he prayed that God would miraculously grow him legs and arms. And yes...God could do that! But this time, He gave him something else instead. Incredible, miraculous joy, despite his circumstances.
And because of his circumstances, God is able to use him in ways that a "normal" man could never be used.
Countries that ban the Gospel are letting him preach because he brings such hope. And he's helping to instill God's hope into individuals that perhaps felt despair in their own circumstances.
He still believes that God has someone special for him to marry. He's only 24 (but with the maturity of someone so much older)...and as he said,
"I many never be able to hold my wife's hand. But I can hold her heart."
He said a great many other things about God Himself...and how much He loves each of us and wants to give us peace and joy, no matter what our circumstances.
At the end of his message, so many people came forward to accept Jesus as their Savior.
I don't think any of us who were there will ever forget him. The phenomenal spirit of determination as well as joy which spills over were gifts that could only come from the Lord...proof that miracles can take place in our hearts and souls, as well as physically.
And proof that He can use any of one of us- there are no limitations.
Go visit his website here...you won't be sorry!








28 comments:
Oh my word. Just reading your story of his message grabbed me but when I read: "I many never be able to hold my wife's hand. But I can hold her heart." well, you turned me into a blubbering mess. What an incredible person he is. If only we would grab a hold that God knows better and sometimes we just have to go through things so that God can use us for His purpose!
What an incredible person and testimony. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Very, very sweet. I'll check out his site.
You were truly blessed to be able to hear this remarkable man & I too choked up as I read it. I wish that I could have come up to hear him .
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing that! What an inspiration. I loved reading about how he touched those in your service. God is good!
Blessings~
Thank you for sharing this story. He is a very special man and I loved the way you could actually feel God's love radiating out of him. That was a blessing indeed!
Oh Tammy, how I would have loved to have been there to listen to him. Makes us realize how petty some of our complaints are. He was dealt a blow by being born with no arms and legs but how wonderful that he could eventually overcome all of it and give his life to teaching the word of God. We certainly do need more people like him around in this world! xoxo
Me again...I've just gone to his site and watched his "home video". What a truly inspriring young man, he is proof that nothing is impossible if you only try! Now where's the box of tissues.....
Wow...we serve such an awesome God. He always gives us beauty for ashes...and that is what he has done in that young man's life. Thanks for sharing this with us...blessings.
What a blessing! We have a church member who has Lou Gerigs and is paralysed now. He can only move his head a little and talk. So our pastor and crew went to his home and interviewed him a bit, then let him share his heart with all those Easter visitors. The camera did a close-up and he shared the Gospel in such a sweet and straight forward way that we were ALL ready to run down the aisle.
No one actually ran, but several folks DID ask Christ into their lives at the end of the service.
Wow Tammy, that is amazing. What an inspiration. God loves to preach a sermon through the most extraordinary people. And I don't mean by using words.
What an inspiration he is!
What a blessing to be able to witness this testimony!
I love people that have so much joy in their lives to share!
Wow, what a wonderful service! I have nothing to complain about. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Blessings,
Chris
An inspiring story! It is important to see beyond the physical in order to know the whole person. Through your post you have presented a testimony of acceptance. Thank you for sharing your experience.
BTW--I have added you to my list of "Blogs I Visit".
Tammy,
This certainly proves God doesn't need 'perfect people' to spread His word and attest to His goodness.
Enjoyed visiting your blog.....
Wow, I have never heard of him. What a blessing it must have been to see him in person. The Lord is sooo good to give this man such joy in face of such major trials! Thanks for sharing this.
You're tagged. I hope you are game.
I've heard of him before and had seen the video of him getting himself ready in the morning and it is amazing. How awsome that he spoke at your church! I've heard he's a very powerful speaker. He's a very handsome young man; I pray God will bless him with someone who can love him unconditionally.
Wow! Isn't it something to realize that WITH arms and legs, he'd be...just another evangelist. Ho hum.
The Lord is good. So very good.
What an amazing and wonderful story. What a mighty God we serve!
Speaking of mighty God - Kev and I have finally finished our Part 6 of our story.
"I many never be able to hold my wife's hand. But I can hold her heart." That is so incredibly beautiful.
How neat that he can preach God's Word in countries that are not allowing others to preach the Good News.
Thank you for sharing, Tammy.
Blessings on your weekend and always...
Wow what a neat story; and the service sounded like it was awesome. How wonderful that people came to know Christ that day!
Thanks for sharing that.
I tagged you for something if you're game!
Hi, I came by via Jill's blog in which you left a comment. I thought this was such a beautiful story. What an awesome man of God and ambassor of hope.
BTW - I checked your other blog. I love old movies, especially Cary Grant.
Have a nice day.
What a testimony! I would have loved to have been in that service. God is so awesome!
Wow, what an awesome message he has and what an indcredible blessing this man is. He is such an inspiration!
What a wonderful message and wonderful service you had. We are in God's hands and He will grow us up to what He has in store for us.
I just finished watching the videos. Oh, my goodness, my eyes are leaking again. This has happened every day lately, with all of the requests out there. But today it is tears of joy for this young man's amazing testimony. What a blessing! Thank you for the link.
Post a Comment