
First of all, thank you so much for the heart-felt responses to my last post.
It sounds as though it may have struck a chord with many of you, and sometimes it helps to know that we aren't completely alone in our feelings of needing approval.
Or in simply dealing with someone who may even have some good qualities, but for one reason or another...there is conflict.
Without going into details, if you could keep the situation in your prayers, I would be grateful. It is still not as resolved as I had once hoped it was, and am praying that the love of Christ overshadows all of the negative in the long run.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now...on a happier note...



*Edited to add our picture from this morning!
Today is May Day. Here in the U.S., the tradition of May Day is pretty much forgotten but my mom (a child of the 1930's) use to tell me charming stories about making baskets with flowers in them and leaving them on a favorite person's doorstep.
So when my oldest was about four, we started adopting this tradition.
Our first unsuspecting "victim" was a wonderful elderly lady who lived across the street. My daughter and I excitedly left the home made paper basket of simple wild flowers on her door knob...rang her doorbell...and ran! She came out in time to see us heading into our home, and she smiled happily and waved to us.
And I have to say, I was as giddy as my little girl. This was fun!
Last year, we made several and my youngest, now four, signed her name to the basket she made and placed on the nice family's door behind us. It was addressed to the mom, since from what I heard, the baskets are primarily to be for a "nice lady". (But I'm sure it doesn't have to be only for women.)
Well, imagine our surprise when only about two hours later, our sweet neighbor rang our doorbell with a wrapped gift of a Strawberry Shortcake notebook and an adorable homemade card for Lil Cherub! How this busy young mom to only boys found time to give a cute little girlie thank you gift so quickly to my daughter was beyond me. We were simply blown away, since the object of May Day is to surprise others, not wanting anything in return!
I thanked her profusely...and later told my girls not to expect presents from people in the future because May Day is all about bringing cheer to others.

So, here we are on another May Day. My youngest mentioned it last night, but at first I wasn't understanding what she was saying. She kept asking what we were going to do about Pay Day. (Hmmm...that is always the question, isn't it?)
Anyway, later this morning, we're going to make our little simple baskets and go tip toeing around to ring the doorbell at a few unsuspecting houses.
Maybe one of them will be completely clueless when they read "Happy May Day" inside. But that's OK...Thanks to my little girls having a grandmother who lived in the real "olden days", this tradition lives on with us.
For May Day basket ideas, visit here or here. (Some of these can also be used for Mother's Day!)
And for more about the holiday, you can visit here.








23 comments:
I hear what are we going to do about pay day all the time. Funny, never from my kids though. For some reason they think I'm a bottomless pit. :vD
I love your idea of keeping this tradition going. How fun!
What great idea's! I'm going to keep this in mind for next year!
I had never heard of "May Day" growing up. It wasn't until last year, (our first year living in the mid-west) that throughout the afternoon our doorbell would ring with sweet little treats.
I love what you have done with your girls.
The one I remember especially was surprising a favorite teacher,(I think I was in second grade) She was so pleased. I think she invited my sister & i in. We both enjoyed doing it & had fun making the baskets & then hiding & watching the person discovering her surprise. I'm glad to see my little "munchkin" granddaughters carrying out the tradition & to see them enjoy the simple things in life thanks to their great mom who teaches them what are the true values.
It's nice to read about someone else who did this as a child. I just posted a little ditty on my blog, too. Happy May Day!
Our homeschool group made baskets this morning and filled them with homemade craft flowers, candy, Chrisitan tracts and invites to church. Then we split up and visited several businesses near our church.
We tried to have the kids "sneak" the baskets onto the cashiers register or onto the counter. Whenever we got "caught" we all yelled "Happy May Day!"
It was very fun!
Groovy, that sounds fun! So glad that others are still celebrating May Day! Love that you put invites to church in them and went to businesses!
(We didn't have candy but put a few various tea bags in!) :)
Thank you, Tammy, for bringing up some precious memories!
My sweet mother, who passed away when I was very young, taught my sister and me the tradition of May baskets. I remember taking them to the neighbors and running away, giggling wildly--my mother did love a good laugh and giggle!
I am the blessed mother of 2 boys--and they would never have gone for the basket and flower thing AT ALL! Now that we have a granddaughter, it may be time to revive the old tradition. She should be just the right age next year--four. I'll have to remember to have a special "girls day."
Your daughters are precious and it sounds like you and they have a good time together!
What a great tradition that you started with your girls.
Thanks for visiting me, too. Back from vacation and back to *reality*. That is always hard :)
Happy May Day to you!
Sandy
Here in Canada we don't celebrate May Day so I've been having fun today learning all about the traditions and such! I wish I was your neighbour:-) What a wonderful idea to leave flower baskets at the door..surely a perfect way to make someone smile!! Happy May Day to you and your family:-) xoxo
I feel deprived! I Had never heard of this tradition before and now feel left out LOL Thanks for explaining what it is all about though, maybe I will start it with Kayla next year!
I will be keeping your situation in my prayers for it to be resolved!
Tammy,
The wonderful memories you're making are so important. I'm sure that your girls will cherish these times long past their childhood!
xoxo
Living and learning, I had no idea this is how May Day was celebrated, thanks for sharing this. It was Labor Day here today. We'll be praying for you...
I remember when I was a little girl, my friend and I used to make baskets and hang them on doorknobs. It was so much fun.
what a sweet tradition to have with your girls:) I love that your little one said, "pay day":):):)
OH, I love this. I used to do this when I was a girl (in the 60's) because my grandma taught me. I made homemade "baskets" with construction paper and filled them with early garden flowers (midwest)and wildflowers. So thanks for bringing back my fond memories.
Of course I had to come back & see the picture. Thanks for letting me know you added it & it even shows their basket.
What a blessing you are to your neighbors and what an excellent thing to teach your children! I had my kindergarten classes make May day baskets and this reminder brought a smile to my face. My prayers for you continue!
I wanted to do that today, but it didn't work out. I think it's such a cool thing to do with little girls especially. It's my mom's birthday today, so that makes it very special always.
I hope things are working out with the "situation."
Thata first picture is one of our many varieties of daffodil, believe it or not. Isn't it great?
Thanks for the kind words - my Christmas gift digital camera has been such fun. I can't wait to get the rest of the trip posted. I had trouble figuring out a title tonight, so couldn't get going. Silly, eh??
I have heard of this before, but have never known of anyone who actually did it---good for you and your family--I think it's just a wonderful tradition.
I love how you have this tradition with your children. I'm going to read some of the basket ideas and try them out. Thanks for visiting my blog and also sharing from your heart. ~ Bonnie
I love this!! I am so glad I found your blog--I'm going to keep coming back! Hope you had a great May Day :)
Bridget
Post a Comment