Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I think I need a special Corsage for this...



Did I mention that both of my girls are soon to be Flower Girls? Very, very soon?

And that makes my title officially "Mother of the Flower Girls". And let me tell you, this role is not to be taken lightly! Dresses...just the right sizes and colors...were picked out myself (using the bride's color choices). And countless shoes were tried on...oh, and that reminds me, there are gloves to be found.

They have never been flower girls before...unless you count my oldest as a miniature bride...but that's another story. In fact, that is the stuff legends are made of! And surely, my now mature seven year old won't decide to humiliate me beyond words as she did at age two and a half...right?
Uh...I said,
am I right?

My husband's sister, M....after breaking many hearts and coming close to the alter before...is finally saying "I Do" in just ten days! She is in her late 30's but looks like 27 and we are all just so excited for her!
In fact, for a family that rarely changes a lot, to have a wedding and an adoption and a birth all in the same year is BIG!

Did I also mention that my husband is one of twelve children? Yes, this only child married into the set of Cheaper by the Dozen. But surprisingly, the brood has, for the most part, has taken their own sweet time about settling down, getting married and having children. There were only eight or nine children among us until the recent new arrival...and until this year, mine were the youngest.

But now...things are just poppin' around here! Weddings, babies...Suddenly it's going to be even harder squeezing into each of our houses for holiday gatherings and we're going all have to start sitting on each other.

But back to the dresses...I had to order them, after looking in countless stores. After all, burgundy is hard to find on the rack in April. And they assured me that they will arrive more than likely at the end of this week.
We are cutting it a little close, I know... (and if you're reading this, M., don't worry...all under control...don't worry your pretty little head...) heehee

But these dresses are are so pretty...I can't wait to see my little girls all dressed up! I mean...if they fit and all...um...
(Again, M....don't give it another thought...they'll be fine! If not, we'll hire an overnight seamstress...)


And then there's the fact that the girls and I will be driving an hour away the night before for rehearsal...staying the night at my mom's...then getting up early to have their little Flower Girl hair put up.

*
Deep Breath*

So, as MOTHER OF FLOWER GIRLS, I am trying to do my duty with the ease and grace that does my title proud. Oh, and help serve the cake, too.

And joking aside, I really am not all that nervous...yet. It's all very exciting, actually, and I'm tickled that both my little girls will have this special honor. I love my sister in law and I know the day is going to be wonderful.

But let's just say, I'm not hoping for a double wedding in my future.




31 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I do hope you'll share pictures of your little flower girls! :)

My son is 2 and I would love him to be a ring bearer but all my friends and family are already married off!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Oh, please post pics. This will be so fun.

My now 16 year old was a ring bearer at age 5. Reluctantly he agreed to do it...only after we explained his Very Important Role...and he finally said, "OK, I'll be the Ring Master."

He must have thought the whole thing was going to be quite a circus.

gail@more than a song said...

Oh they'll have such fun! Pics are a must!

Henny Penny said...

How delightful!

I think it is sad when a family ceases to grow. The thrill of all the new additions to your family makes me smile!

Big Mama said...

Oh, it will be so fun and they'll look so cute.

Of course by the end of the evening, you might be in desperate need of a glass of wine. :-)

Susanne said...

"Mother of the flower girls" That's funny. They will be so cute, you must post pics. That is really different that a single child would have married into a family of twelve. Did you ever find it overwhelming?

Susie said...

Dear Tammy,
What a fun role to be mother of the flower girls. It should prove somewhat easier than mother of the bride(s) I actually once attended a double wedding of sisters and it was lovely!!
How very interesting that your hubby is one of twelve. That must have been quite an adjustment for you..?
Can't wait to see pictures of your girls in their pretty dresses!!
xoxo

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

You are so funny...if this is what it's like when our girls are flower girls, I can't imagine what it will be like being the mother of the bride..:)

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Sheila said...

This will be so much fun for your girls..!
Don't forget we waant to see them in their special dresses..!

ruth said...

I think it is sad that the performance, by girlie girl 2&1/2(though embarassing at the time,) was not captured on video or was edited out of the wedding tape of the event. I'm sure the family & probably the bride & groom would have enjoyed seeing it. Of course not having a video of your wedding was an even sadder thing for all of us. You were & still are beautiful & I can't wait to see the little munchkins as flower girls.

Looney Mom™ said...

Whew! a LOT of work, huh? I can't wait to see them in their splendor though.

LOL! "Cheaper by the dozen" !!!

Tammy said...

Weddings are such fun...unless they are your daughter ;)
I saw a wee gal the other day at my beauty shop getting all dolled up to be a "flower gal"! Cuteness...I can't wait to see pictures!!

Corrie said...

Ah yes, the nerve wracking mother of the flowergirls...my four year old is going to be a flower girl this summer and I am a trifle nervous. I look forward to reading about how it goes!

Carole Burant said...

Hey as long as the wedding, adoption and birth don't happen the SAME day, you're all set! lol I can just imagine how very excited you all are about this wedding...can't wait to see pictures of your two little girls in their flower girl dresses:-) Gosh, imagine marrying into a family of 12 when you were used to being the only child!!!! xox

Anonymous said...

12 kids? Wow, did your hubby like being one of 12?

Dawn said...

My siser and I were in so many weddings when we were little - never thought of my mom's point of view. Also, Kristen was flower girl twice - nervewracking when they're only 3! Can't wait to see pictures.

A young mom told me the other day that she found gloves at Target for her girls for Easter. Don't know if they still have them now, though.

Carolanne said...

I was a flower girl when I was 3. Apparently I punched my older brother in the face when I was walking past him. I know I cried when I was in the bridal car cause I wanted my mum.

I'm sure it will all turn out wonderfully!

Beck said...

Two flower girls! Wow! Two summers ago The Girl and I were in a wedding party together. It was kind of fun, actually.

Susan said...

Great post...sounds like you're going to have fun! I do hope you'll post pics.

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

I want to see pictures too. :-)

My daughter was flower girl and my oldest son the ring bearer for my brother and sister in law's wedding and it was a lot of fun and excitement. I think my daughter still has her dress.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I can't wait to see the pictures. I've always wanted my little girls to be flower girls,maybe someday.

I think it would be a fun way to get them all dresses up and show them off:)

Hope you have a lot of fun.

groovyoldlady said...

Oh it will be wonderful. I know, because we just played that game last August.

Funsocksgirl married the J-Man and she wanted her two little sissies to be the flower girls. She lives in NY and we live in ME, so we had to plan long distance.

I'd buy dresses and accessories in her color scheme, take photos of the girls in them and email the pics to FSG. She finally picked what she wanted and we were good to go.

Then came the actual ceremony. At "almost 7", Girly-Girl was PERFECT. She walked gracefully down the aisle, stood quietly and patiently, and posed/smiled on cue. She was awesome!

Heh-heh...Then there was Silly-Head who was a young 5. She did walk down the aisle and drop her petals, but she absolutely REFUSED to look up for a photo even once. When the other mother and I went up to the altar to light the candles, she followed me right up and right back down - one hand on my gown (I was Matron of Honor) and the other thumb in her mouth.

When we got back to our place, she promptly laid down on the ground and sucked her thumb!

I ignored her until the recessional, then I had to pry her off the floor and get her moving down the aisle.

After the ceremony she REFUSED to look at the camera. There are NO good pics of her at the wedding!

Fortunately, she loosened up at the reception and the photographer was able to get a few there.

Robin Green said...

How fun for your girls--I know they will be lovely.

Pamela said...

my eldest was flower girl twice.
the other two never got the honor.


I don't remember hyperventilating, but I can't remember that far back.

Myrna said...

flower girls! How sweet! I can't wait to see pics of them on the special day!
My son was ringbearer at my step sister's wedding--a long time ago! But little girl dresses and gloves and special flower girl hair--for goodness sake--That's so much more fun than just ordering a tux!

deedee said...

I love weddings, unfortunately, no more in the near future.

Susannah said...

This is going to be such a memorable and special event. :~) I'd say your role as "Mother of the Flower Girls" is a HUGE! (I've never even thought about it before...) I can hardly wait to see the photos. (((Hugs)))

Heart of Rachel said...

That's very exciting! I'm sure everyone in your family is excited to see the girls walk in the aisle during the wedding.

My maternal grandparents had 11 children. I did a collage recently and it feature all my 28 cousins.

Best wishes to your sister-in-law on her upcoming wedding.

Dawn said...

Thanks for sending your mom over - it was fun to have her visit me. I enjoyed reading her as well.

Michelle said...

how exciting to have both your girls be flower girls in the upcoming wedding! can't wait to see pictures!

Linda said...

What fun Tammy! I would have given anything to be a flower girl when I was little. What could be better than a beautiful dress, getting your hair done, and flowers? Can't wait to see them all dolled up!!