
Sometimes, God whispers to us in the most unusual ways. Sometimes, He uses strangers that may never even know in this life just all the ways that they are His instruments.
My girls each have ballet this term...each on different days, with my youngest one's class actually being ballet\tap.
We parents are banned from the class, except for the first and last sessions, but we can peek through the little slitted windows on the doors to try and catch a glimpse, or hear them tap-tapping away. Whenever I try and peek in, my little one is almost never in view at that moment in time...just at the other end of the line, it seems.
I can't usually see her, but I can just imagine my little straight-haired Shirley Temple is probably dancing like a trooper, with her forward-back-forward-tap sounds blending with the the rest of the clickity-clacks.
Since I home school, my second grader tags along and we usually do some school work there. The past couple of times, we went outside to sit in the grass and enjoy the sunshine. And each time, I couldn't help but notice one particular mommy, with two young children in tow.
What struck me right away was the obvious: She held a sight-impaired cane, which she tapped ahead of her, as her two children rode their little bikes with training wheels, keeping stride with their mommy down the sidewalk in front of the recreation center.
I admit to being somewhat curious when seeing a blind or sight-impaired person, braving the outside world. More than curious....I always feel a sense of awe at their bravery.
But this was something new to me. This was more than a person braving it on their own- this was a mother. She was being more than a little courageous...
she was also being courageous for her children, as well.
I couldn't help but think how easy it would be to live in fear if I lived with her lack of sight. Especially, when I was responsible for two young children.
But here she was, venturing from her house and down the road every week, so that her children could experience real life.
And maybe, so that she could, also.
Yesterday, I watched this courageous young mother again, as my oldest daughter and I sat on the grass and she read to me quietly from a Little House book. She was reading, remarkably, a passage that mentioned how Laura felt sad for Mary, because she had been rendered blind after Scarlet Fever and could not go to school with her. As she read this part, my daughter looked over at the mother and then to me, knowingly. I wondered if the mommy had overheard.
As I stole glances at this young woman, I began to speculate that perhaps she could see shadowy images, but that her sight was so bad that she was legally blind. But beyond this practical observation, I saw quite a bit more as I watched her.
I watched her glowing smile, which seemed to never leave her face.
I listened to her warm, loving voice as she spoke to her children.
I felt the tenderness she obviously felt for them in her gestures.
And I was filled with admiration for this stranger.
I also thought about myself.
I can so easily live in fear, instead of embracing life and trusting God.
I can so easily look at the negative instead of finding something to smile about...not just smile outwardly, but to smile inside- with my heart and soul.
There were so many lessons to be learned. I am still trying to absorb them all.
But God seems to use unassuming instruments sometimes try to get through to me in His gentle way.
She is still only a stranger to me, who yesterday, simply smiled in my direction and said hello.
I have only observed her for several moments at a time.
Amazing, then, that she could have any impact or influence on me...nevertheless, she has.
I felt myself wanting to be more like her...except to be able to enjoy the physical beauty around me.
How easy for me to take this for granted!
She may never know that she is having such a positive influence on those around her. I'm not sure that I could tell her all this...my shy nature might get in the way and I'm not sure I could express it the right way in person, nor how she would take it.
But she has the kind of smile that makes me think she might be bound in the same direction as I am...and that maybe I can tell her one day in heaven how just by her simple presence, she was God's instrument in this humble stranger's life.
More food for thought: If this person whom I don't know can influence me (a Christian) so much just by her mere presense...I wonder...who am I influencing- for good or for bad- without even knowing?








31 comments:
What wonderful thoughts! And what a thourhg-provoking question at the end. We have a blind family in the town where I work - both parents blind, and 3 of the 4 children blind. They walk around town as a family, doing unbelievable things. He is a fabulous organist. I went to their home to buy some CDs of his music for gifts for the folks who helped in our two weddings 5 years ago. A real mess, but they were so independent. It was inspiring, for sure. I haven't seen them lately - wonder what happened to them.
This is so beautiful and gives us all a lot to think about. When you turned it around from what she was teaching you to what you (or I) may be teaching someone else with our lives, that really spoke to me. Thanks for this.
You may enjoy a wonderful bible study that I did a few years back. It is by Jennifer Rothschild. The book is called Lessons I Learned in the Dark, or Lessons Learned in the Dark. She is a mom too, and went blind in high school.
She is a lovely woman, and her spirit is so sensitive to what God is doing in her life. She will just charm the socks off of you with her wit and humor and wisdom. She is a wonderful author and bible study writer. You would love it I'm sure. I did.
What a sensitive and caring post!
She is obviously a woman of courage who is determined to live, and not be confined to her home.
I also love how you questioned what influence your actions (good or bad) may have upon others.
Your writing is a gift Tammy!
xo
I loved your observations about this mom. It's amazing how God can speak to us in situations like that. It does make a person wonder what influences we have on others who are observing us. Great post.
Hey Tammy, I'm just catching up tonight on everyone's posts.
I am always so impressed with your writing. I so enjoyed this post. So nice to see a woman with many "roadblocks" showing the joy in her life. Thank you for sharing this.
This one gave me goosebumps... awesome!
Tammy - this was so good. I can just picture the scene the way you described it. How wonderful that she could touch your heart that way, and how wonderful that your heart is open to the things God is using to minister to you. It is a lesson for all of us. We just never know who may be watching our lives. There is so much in this one post. I just loved it.
Very touching post. You have asked a very important quesiton--What an enormous responsibility we carry.
I was all ready to mention Jennifer Rothschild and I see Becky beat me to it. Jennifer is a beautiful and amazing woman who is living an answer to your question. I join becky in reccomending Jennifer's books, Bible studies, and music. She does it all--one talented lady. Her website is:
http://www.jenniferrothschild.com/
I can't believe all the wonderful posts I have read this month. This is one of those that belongs in one of the chicken soup for the soul series!!!
Another wonderful inciteful post to make us think about what kind of an impact we are having on the lives of others. You would do well writing a devotional or other type of inspirational book. Thanks for sharing. You truly amaze me at times by the things you write.
Very good question to ask ourselves at the end, Tammi! What a beautiful story and lessons that God showed you.
I so love the way you write..you express yourself so well!! They say that you should always watch how you act and what you say because you never know who you could be influencing at that time. My heart goes out to that woman, not so much because she is blind but for the way she has embraced that blindness and still continued to live a "normal" life with her children. xoxo
I bet that young mom would love to hear what you said about her on your blog! Especially the other things you noticed about her, and not only her blindness...you saw her as a person.
BTW - I didn't know about the stamp rate increase either until my mom told me last Sunday! I was in the dark!
An awesome post Tammy!!!
You always seem to hit just the right notes in life!!
Thank you for sharing this!
:)
This is powerful. so many things to take to heart.
Ones you have mentioned and also how we each as individuals can have a significant impact on others and not even be aware of it.
Thank you for sharing this story.
Wonderful!!!
Susan
Beautiful story and insightful question.
So happy about the wedding too! We are almost 12 days and counting. I need to finish painting the garage (yes, we got the carport enclosed and we now have our very own storage building ;) which I will now be filling with all the things that have had to be stored around my house)tomorrow and then I get to go for a final dress fitting with the bride to be on Tuesday. Oh, the time is going quickly, hope our wedding is as lovely as yours was - minus any cold weather, long hikes....
This is an excellent thought provoking post. We all have to remember to live our lives as examples, and it's hard to do.
Beautiful and thought provoking post, Tammy.
I think you should buck up and say "Howdy" to her!
(side note: YOU are the only Tammy I know!)
You influence all of us, Tammy, especially when you do posts like this one. What an amazing young mom. You're right - I think I'd be terrified if I were legally blind and had small children. I don't know that I'd be as brave as she is.
Wonderful post.
What a beautiful person and what a wonderful lesson we can learn. Thanks you for sharing it with us.
Tammy this is a wonderful post. Truly a "page-turner." Thanks for sharing your experience, and reminding me that although we don't always speak, we do communicate who we are, and what we believe, by our behavior--by our very lives.
I love that "Little People" program on TV... the Rolofs (?). And don't you live near them? They are an amazing testimony of courage and love too. Hugs!
What a wonderful post. This woman sounds like such an inspiration, and so brave. I think it is so neat how people we don't even know can touch our lives in such special ways.
Oh, and thanks for sharing a little bit of what your deployment experience was like, I'd love to hear more sometime:)
Lovely!
Tammy, I enjoyed reading this so much, beautiful thoughts... yes, I think we give a powerful testimony of our faith with our actions. Have you read the book "Who You Are When No One's Looking" by Bill Hybels? I think you'll enjoy it!
Thanks for sharing your heart with us. I have enjoyed reading many of your posts. Will be earmarking your blog to return to! Blessings, Diane
It is TRUE... you just NEVER KNOW! ~ jb///
Wow. What an inspiration. And you are right about who we could be influencing without even knowing it. Thanks for making me think!
=)
Your observations and insights in this piece were just beautiful.
Thank you so much for your kind words at my blog.
Your support is touching and I appreciate that you took the time to share with me.
~jenn
What a beautiful observation, Tammy. I certainly wonder whether I am silently influencing someone else, and to recognize this is quite sobering. Especially as I think of my "not so good" moments.
Thanks for sharing this.
XO,
Jill
Post a Comment