Monday, May 14, 2007

With This Ring....Part 1


*Edited to add a different picture and to correct a few tired-brain errors.

I hope all of you had a nice Mother's Day! It's good to be back, and I'll be trying to catch up with all of your posts throughout the day.


I decided to do this past weekend justice, I would have to divide it into two parts. And even at that, this half is not exactly short.
So, grab your cup of coffee, sit back, and come along with me to the wedding...but hold onto your fancy hat! Because those prayers that a few of said on our behalf, actually helped in ways we weren't exactly expecting...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday morning found us hurrying around in a hundred different directions. My littlest one had ballet\tap class... then back home so that I could pack, do a few dishes, take care of the dog, make a few phone calls...and then make sure I had each and every thing put into the car that was on my mental list. Whew!
Oh, keeping the girls from climbing through the sunroof onto the roof of the minivan while making trips to the car was also a priority.
(Insert extra minutes taken for discipline
here.)

We headed straight from the house to our destination...a Christian Renewal Center across the street from Silver Falls, deep in the wooded hills. It's been a place near and dear to the bride and all of her family since they were children. We would be going there for rehearsal, and then spending the night at my mom's house, about forty minutes away. My husband, who was not in the wedding, would be arriving the next morning. Everything seemed to be falling into place...

Hitting bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway? No problem. I still had left in plenty of time. Probably....

My youngest fell asleep in the car...this was good. And finally, I was off the freeway and heading towards the renewal center.

Hmmm....according to the signs, it's a little farther than I had thought. We might be cutting it a bit close, but we should still be there close to starting time...


As I find myself zipping along curves and watching the clock, suddenly our big minivan starts acting...well...funny. As I tap on the breaks, I notice they aren't working right at all! I push down with all my might on the pedal, just so that I can slow down and pull over to the side.


OK. Staying calm....Suddenly, another vehicle pulls next to me, with a male driver. (Staying calm, here...getting ready to hit the lock button) He simply wants to know if he missed the Falls exit, and I tell him I didn't think so, and he drives on. Okay...
Slowly, I start my engine and ease back onto the road, but the brakes are still not working right and the engine is shaking badly.
Again, I pull over into a clearing and take out my trusty cell phone. What would we do without our cell phones? But what was this....
searching for signal...Oh. no.

Panic started to set in at this point. I was alone with my girls on the side of the road, no cell phone access, and now officially late for rehearsal. After praying, I turned on the engine once more, hoping to ease down to road to a more public place, at least. After about a mile or two, I saw the parking lot for the Falls, with the sign for the wedding party directly across the street! The gravel road led up the hill into the woods, and I didn't think the car would make it, so I parked at the lot, and told the girls we would just walk up the gravel road.

And walk...and walk...and walk.


My poor girls...I was hurrying them, because of the rehearsal and thinking it would just be a short jaunt. It turned out to be two miles, up hill and around curves.


We got there, huffing and puffing...and one of my sisters in law was there, who in turn, got someone to give us a ride up to the chapel, which turns out, was up the hill even further.

Of course, everyone was sympathetic when we explained what happened. And we made it time for a second run-through.


Afterwards, the founder of the Christian Renewal Center, who has the honor of giving away the bride, offered the girls and I a ride back to the dining hall in his little golf cart. He was such a sweetheart...and since we were exhausted, I took him up on the offer. But I held tightly to both girls on my lap as this octogenarian whizzed around the trails, hoping everyone had the sense to keep out of his way.

Safe and sound at the dining hall, I hesitantly asked one of my brothers in law if he could please drive us back to my mom's. Most everyone else was spending the night there in the cabins, but the girls had their hair appointment near my mom's house at 8:00 the next morning.
Oh, and my oldest had a cold...and by now, we were all ready for a warm bed.


He was very nice and graciously agreed.
But why did it seem so much longer from the renewal center to my mom's house than I had remembered? ("Uncle C", if you're reading this, we are still indebted to you!)

I called my husband to inform him of the ordeal, whereupon, he asked me many detailed questions about how the vehicle sounded, felt, looked, smelled as well as its general overall mood, just as I knew he would.


I tucked my girls into the bed that once upon a time, was mine... And before we were anywhere near ready, it was time to wake up again and get ready for hair-dos.

I must say, that through this entire time, my girls were incredible troopers. Especially, given that my oldest was sneezing and wiping her nose, and they were both a little nervous. I was so proud of them this weekend!

We went to the little homey beauty parlor where I actually got my hair done twelve years ago for my own wedding. Two of the ladies still worked there, and remembered me, and they were very impressed at how well the girls sat still for their styles.

But as you can kind of tell by the pictures, I think it was partly due to their being still half asleep... poor babies.



















Soon, their daddy arrived and we set about finishing getting ready. We were about to put on their new shoes, when I realized I must have left them in the minivan. I retrieved everything else but these, apparently....but not to fear, we'd just stop at the parking lot and ...what?

Dear husband informs that the minivan is no longer there but towed back to our house.
His dear wife (me) has a tizzy fit. (Not sure where this expression comes from, but I grew up hearing this and, believe me, it fits well here.)

Suddenly, husband makes a phone call, and then tells me that the driver will leave our girls' shoes with a lady in a nearby tiny town. (A town, by chance, where my father once worked as a chief of police in his twenties- his only stint in the police force.)
I cannot tell you the relief I felt knowing the flower girls would not be in their stocking feet for the wedding!
And this turned out to be even more crucial when we finally arrived, and the weather had turned to a teeth-chattering temperature... as we posed for what seemed like hours in the grassy field, with drizzly drops of rain occasionally falling on all of the wedding party and groups of relatives.

Here, you can see some of the shivering relatives, waiting for their turn in the photo shoot.
(My mom is in the very center.)

And here are my sweet little flower girls...

And with the beautiful bride...


It was so cold, that we had to tell the girls to put their shoulders down and relax- which they finally did for these pictures.


Later, I heard of couple of my husband's brother and sisters joking conversation:
"See that gal with that big furry coat? I'd give her fifty bucks for that coat."
"I'd give my life insurance policy."

"And if someone dares come by with a hot cup of coffee, they can have my car..."

I'm not sure why my brother in law was in on this...the men were the lucky ones, all snuggled up in their suits and ties.

Oh, and did I mention that my sister in law has married into an Egyptian family? Their family seemed so very nice...and I noticed a slight similarity between their culture and that of Greece- at least to this very American girl.

But more on that in part 2... So, I'll leave you with all of us still p
osing and shivering

outside, bartering for jackets in-between photos...



37 comments:

Susie said...

Oh my goodness! You certainly had the ordeal. What on earth was wrong with the van?
Trudging two miles up the hill was bad, but that golf cart ride down sounded just as worrisome!
You all must have been exhausted.
The girls look just like little princesses.
Can't wait to hear part II!
xo

Karen said...

Wow! What a week-end! Looking forward to Part two!
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Myrna said...

Your girls are beautiful! I'm sure seeing them look so pretty and princess-like made all the trouble worth it.

What's a family wedding without an adventure? We once spent an entire day--in a city where we didn't know the stores--searching for a shirt in the right size for my 10 year old son. The one that came with his tux (junior groomsman) was three sizes smaller than what we ordered! We found one--that was only a little too big--about an hour before we were to be at the church!

Ahh! Weddings!--Looking forward to Part 2!

Anonymous said...

I am certain I have seen all this before. A movie perhaps. Father of the Bride ... National Lampoon's Wedding rehearsal ... something like that? What a kick! Sounds like you did not lose your sense of humor.

Can't wait to hear the happy ending.

Beck said...

Beautiful photos! What lovely girls!

Corrie said...

Okay, you deserve an award! What a weekend...so many emotions wrapped up into one experience! Your girls looked beautiful, as did the bride! Glad you made it home safe!

Michelle said...

you sure were on quite an adventure! I'm glad that everything seemed to work out (except that darn weather!)

ruth said...

Even though I knew about the adventure, I enjoyed reading about it & seeing the pictures of my beautiful granddaughters. I'm looking forward to reading the next part. I might want some copies of your pics. They look so adorable & the bride like all brides is so beautiful.

Henny Penny said...

The girls look so pretty. ANd cold. They look really cold.

Sounds like a doozy of a trip! Hope nothing was seriously wrong with the van!

Barb said...

You know what? Remind me NEVER to travel anywhere, not even Hawaii, with you, Tammy. LOL

Oh my word.

But the girls look beautiful. Cold, but beautiful. Honestly, when's the last time you took a trip to anywhere where it was all smooth sailing? You crack me up.

I literally held my breath when you described what your car was doing and then when you said your hubby asked you how it smelled, well that did me in. Thank you for making me laugh out loud. I seriously needed to do that right now. :-)

Carole Burant said...

I would have just sat there and cried on the side of the road! lol Boy oh boy, you sure did have some adventures on the way there! The girls look so precious with their dresses and hairstyles!! What a shame it turned out so cold, though. Hopefully Part 2 goes a lot better! lol xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such an ordeal but at least it sounds like it halfway turned out ok! :)

Malissa said...

Wow. You had quite the ordeal. The girls and the bride look gorgeous in thier dresses!

Christie Belle said...

What a weekend!!! Your daughters were gorgeous, though, as was the blushing bride, looking forward to part 2:)

Momma Roar said...

Oh my goodness...what a weekend. I'm sure I would have had a tizzy fit over the shoes too!! ;-)

Your girls looked adorable!!

Tricia said...

Looking forward to hearing the rest - I hope the car is ok! The girls look beautiful in their dresses. : )

Susanne said...

Oh my word! You seem to have held it together really well. I would have been totally frazzled. And your girls are such troopers. They look so adorable in their dresses with hair all done up. I hope the rest of the weekend went smoothly.

Dawn said...

OH, my word! What an ordeal! They look adorable, but I can imagine the stress. That's exactly why I have never planned an outdoor function - there's too much to worry about without having to worry about the weather you can't control! Unbelievable.

Nadine said...

Your girls looked stunning. The bride beautiful. So sorry about the car, but it seemed to work out in the end. I'm glad you and the girls were safe through the whole mess.

Barb said...

I just tagged you, Tammy. Can't wait to find out how weird you are.

:-)

Nancy said...

I just love it... wouldn't you just know it, something always has to go wrong. I am so sorry to hear about your van but delighted the girls got there in time to practice. They are just gorgeous... I know you were proud. I love their dresses, just too cute! I look forward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for part II. Thankfully our daughter's wedding will be here at our house. If the weather turns cold, then everyone can come inside to warm up.

We are praying for a nice, not too warm, but definitely not cold or rainy day. I guess we should pray for a gentle breeze but not windy too! ;)

Two weeks from Saturday. Yikes! Oh, and I say tizzy fit too!!!

Jill said...

Oh, My! Bless your heart. (and I don't say that very often). Glad your van made it. Your girls look adorable. Can't wait for part 2!

Pamela said...

Does anything ever get to be easy ????

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

My what an experience. Sounds like you handled it with lots of grace:) Your girls look so beautiful!!!!

Robin Green said...

What a story. I'm glad it all turned out well. It sounds like a lovely wedding and the pictures are wonderful.

gail@more than a song said...

That was quite an ordeal getting to the wedding Tammy! I'm glad everything turned out ok, except for how cold it seemed to be...May here is quite warm!
Your girls look so sweet and adorable! And the bride is beautiful. Great story and looking forward to another part.

My hubby always told me that if nothing happened on trips we'd never remember them! The things that go wrong are what makes them memorable....not sure if that was to get me over something happening each trip or not! But I think it's true, we tend to remember those trips where something happened much better than if nothing unusual went on at all!
Y'all will have great memories!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story. And what an unsung hero this "Uncle C". I'm sure if he's a real hero he doesn't expect any repayment. He's just helping his family in a time of need.

Tammy said...

Hmmm....who is this feldspar person in my last reply? Could it be...?
LOL Unsung hero, indeed!

Looney Mom™ said...

Oh my gosh! What an ordeal. Thank God for His hand in it. It sounds like it all worked out - well, except for the weather. Your girls look like little princesses. I'm sure just seeing them like that made it all go away.

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow, what a day! I hope you had plenty of time to rest and relax later on.

The girls look angelic...

Hugs!

Midlife Mom said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! I always love meeting new bloggers. What a time getting to the wedding, I was exhausted just reading about it! Looking forward to part 2! My granddaughter 'graduated' from Cubbies this year too but my grandson has another year. I worked in Awana with my husband who was Commander for over 20 years. Whew! It had it's moments for sure but it was such a blessing to both of us. Stop by again!

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by with your comment - it has indeed been a journey we never expected to be on, but God is good, all the time!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That was truly an ordeal for you I am sure! The girls look so cute. I look forward to reading the rest of the story.

Please tell your five year old that my two year old cannot read (from the WW pic). I have been reading Ramona the Pest to my five year old, and little sister wanted to see the book as well! I did think it was funny that it looked like she was reading it.

Have a great Wednesday!

Laurie said...

Weddings always seem to bring on some events that make great memories but aren't so enjoyable at the actual moment of happening. Glad all turned out so well...even if it was cold!

groovyoldlady said...

Oh...I was stressed out just reading about it all! I almost had a tizzy-fit WITH you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy! I'm just catching up on some blog reading, so I'm quite behind on your posts! I've been looking forward to this one for a while, so just bare with me and my two-week-old comments!

What an ordeal you guys went through with the car. And then the walking and the shoes. Wow.

The pictures look lovely and your little girls are so sweet--and certainly troopers!

XO,
Jill