Lately, my girls, five and seven (almost eight) have become the quintessential "Bobbsey Twins". Suddenly, it is of the up most importance to wear similar, if not identical, clothing and to even do up their hair the exact same way.

Now, first of all, the fact that my five year old is suddenly asking me to do her hair is monumental for me. She is the one that if a brush so much as touches her fair tresses, she screams from the torture. Fun little do-dads and ponytails that mommies love to put in little girls' hair?
Are you kidding?
But this past week, she is not only allowing me to fix her hair....she's asking me to! Both girls will come to me with their identical do-dads and ask me to make their hair the exact same way.
One day, they will ask in unison if I can braid their hair ....and perhaps the next day, it's an identical ponytail they desire to sport.
And it doesn't stop with hair...clothes count big time, as well.
For example, it won't do if only one of them is wearing a dress- both will absolutely have to. And it helps if the colors in the dresses both have the same nuances of mauve.
What I find interesting is that it seems to be equally important to each of them!
It's not about my youngest wanting to emulate my oldest...no, it is about each of them wanting to be twins- pure and simple.
The other day, smack in the middle of "Twin Week" here at our household, we were driving somewhere while they were talking amongst themselves in the backseat. Suddenly, my youngest cried,
"Mommy, she wasn't being sweet to me- and I'm her twin!"
So it hasn't been without a few problems. Getting ready to leave somewhere on time, without the required similar clothes, has resulted in a few protests when told to hurry and put on something....anything! How could their mommy be so unjust as to do this to them?
Must.Be.Identical.
Nearly every day this week, they come downstairs dressed alike and stand before me, grinning. My oldest bends her knees and scrunches down, as they ask,
"Which one is which?"
"Um...I just don't know!" I say, looking bewildered. Well, except for the height thing, they do sometimes look an awful alike.
Once this week, my oldest got hurt outside and my youngest was hugging her in sympathy longer than usual. Too sweet...I know.
My youngest told me earnestly, "I feel so sorry for her- she is my twin, you know."
Why this sudden desire to be joined at the hip? I'm honestly not quite sure. I know last year, it was just the opposite problem...It was- Move Over, I'm sitting on Mommy's Lap. Or, the ever-popular- I Sat by Daddy First!
Followed by rude elbows and pushes.
Yep, it was every girl for herself!
All that usual asserting of the independence that occurs was certainly in full bloom last year.
But now...unity is the word of the day.
Yes, they have still had a couple spats (see above un-sweet -twin- in- the- car reference) but it's now all about being the same.
All-For-One-And-One-For-All...or, should I say Both.
I guess having my two girls traipsing around like a pair of identical twins with a slight height problem could be a lot worse. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Because I know we will most likely see more phases of head-butting in the future...especially when one heads into puberty first.
I have a feeling that the twin thing might not be viewed with as much enthusiasm when this time comes.
Having never had a sister to grow up with, though, I cherish watching them chum around. I kind of get to live vicariously through their relationship, and it's wonderful to watch it change and grow through each stage.
My oldest still remembers when Lil Cherub was a tiny baby...but now....
now she is her best friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I won't be posting again until after the weekend, but I hope to be online off and on to visit some of you...
We plan on visiting the cemetery and picnicking with extended family....and generally enjoying this incredible Memorial Day weather that we are blessed with this year!
A wonderful Memorial Day weekend to each of you!








29 comments:
That is too cute. Made me laugh. My girls are 5 years apart so they never really went through a stage like this.
I love the fact that your girls have "discovered" each other. That is so sweet. And rewarding to you I'm sure. Enjoy your weekend.
Sweet! My daughters are too far apart for that, but my oldest girl often likes twinning up with a best friend. Cute.
Isn't it just so funny the stages they go through...like you, I never had a sister but I like to imagine that we would have been close like your two daughters:-) Enjoy this stage while you can cuz as they get older, the stages will become bigger and more frightening! lol xoxo
Have they been reading the Bobsey Twins book? Being 22 months apart, there were times when my mom dressed my sister & I alike & at one point we were the same height until she passed me up. I think this twin stage is cute. Could it have come from the twin flower girl dresses & having their hair done alike for the big event?
How very fun!! Alas, you are probably correct to enjoy it now for you won't believe how fast those "teen traumas" will come around! My sister is 5 1/2 years younger than I am...would you believe we buy and wear the same clothes from time to time...yes, at our age!! LOL! Blessings for a great weekend! Diane
That is just precious! There is nothing like having a sister. Ashley and I definately had our stages, I don't remember if there was a twin phase, but there were many! I love that your oldest is just as excited about having a "twin" as your youngest is:) Have a wonderful Memorial Day!
Sisters are very special! I have two--one was 12 years older (she passed away last year). I loved her, but I have always had a closer relationship with the one just two years older. We often had clothes alike. Sometimes we would have the same outfit, in different colors. the only thing wrong with identical clothes was that I always had the hand-me-downs!
You are wise to know that the closeness will be challenged at times. My sister and I argued a lot in the teenage years. She is my best friend now!
all little girls want to be twins. Except, the one who are, of course!
What a sweet story of unity. I think that's great they want so much to be alike.
Have a great weekend.
Awwww...that's great. Reminds me of that song, "Sisters" from the movie Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby:
Sisters, Sisters, There were never such devoted sisters...
:-) Susan
My boys are exactly 2 yrs. apart and I always dressed them alike. It was fun.
Now they are older, and of course that doesn't happen.
Happy Mem. Day to you!
Sandy
For Reluctant Entertainers
Thank you for your nice comment. We gals have to stick together in this tough world. Bless you!
How adorable. My mother always made matching dresses for my sister and me for holidays, but we seldom wore our hair alike. I always wanted twins!
May they continue to enjoy each other forever.
I always wanted twins of my own. I would have liked being a twin. My grandfather was a twin. He was born in 1898. He and his twin brother gave my great-grandmother quite a time I understand.
Well, your girls have vivid imaginations. That is wonderful. It is just too cute what they are doing right now. It gives you some material to write about, too, and you do such a good job writing about them. Very humorous.
I think it's sweet that they want to be so much alike. I'm sure you're right, and there will come a time when that's the last thing they want to do, but that will pass as well. There is nothing like a sister.
Enjoy your weekend. Ours has turned out rather soggy, but there are a few breaks in the clouds and the sun is actually shining right now.
How sweet that they are really enjoying their sister bond!
It must be such a joy to watch them have fun like this!
xo
That is soooooo cute! I have three sisters and am close to all of them but we never got to dress alike. Enjoy these stages as they will be grown up before you know it. People would say that to me and I would think it was foolish but time DID go fast and my son grew up way too fast and now my grandchildren are growing up too fast. I loved every stage, well maybe not the naughty ones! lol!
That is adorable! I'm thinking the hair thing maybe came from their visit to the hairdresser before the wedding??
The dressing alike thing is familiar - I always buy Care Bear and Feisty matching things for Easter. They look so adorable. They're in a dress phase too, and are only 20 months apart. So though they're quite a bit apart in height, they are best buds and like to dress up. So cute.
My sis and I are 11.5 months apart, so everyone always gave us the same things for birthday and Christmas - we got to where we sat back to back to open our gifts, and even split the different in our birthdays and opened them a week after hers and a week before mine so I wouldn't know exactly what I was getting. But we were best friends.
Oh so sweet. Mine are 6 years apart, no chance for alikeness. How do you manage the sameness without buying two of every outfit? It's great you've documented this stage.
Too cute--- and funny, too. I LOVE IT that they ask "which is which". Made me laugh out loud. This is one for the memory books...
How sweet! There are 3 years between Ann and I, and we never experienced this kind of love! LOL
Blessed Memorial Day!
My irls go into twin mode about one a week. It's adorable while it lasts. And whether they know it or not they are each other's best friend.
My two older girls like to do this sometimes too:) It is so fun having girls soo close in age:)
Oh my word! Girly-Girl and Silly-Head do the EXACT SAME THING!!!
The "twinning" sounds like a nice break from the incessant competition we've been going through.
How cute! That is so sweet when they are like that, hope it lasts a while longer for you. I bet they will be best friends when they are older.
One of my favorite lines when mine were younger, "mama he looked at me!"
Hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend.
How precious that your girls are doing this. There are 4 years between my girls and if they come down with the same or almost same thing--they fuss until one of them goes to change. Heaven forbid they be dressed alike.
How cute is that? I bet they're going to be so close as adults, too.
Post a Comment