Friday, July 13, 2007

"Faded photographs..."


Day 3

Do you remember that song? It was really running through my mind this afternoon...mainly because just when I thought I was almost through organizing, I found...a big box.

Now, before I talk about that, please don't worry...This morning I had a leisurely time going to yard sales and strolling through a couple stores, reading my book- and just now, even got a little HGTV fix in.


But this morning I decided to do a little more work on my closet.
And that's when I found a big box...
where apparently my husband had done a little organizing of his own a few months back.
Inside, was everything from lost snapshots of both girls as toddlers...old cards to each one of us, received throughout the years... even souvenirs from my single days!

How such a mishmash of various seasons of my life could be all smashed together in a huge cardboard box is beyond me...but it sure makes for an interesting mood to see it all housing together like that. Just too many disjointed memories to take all in!

As I started sorting them, I took advantage of my alone time, though, by not hurrying too much. Picking up the old cards and reading them... pouring over pictures of my children and seeing just how much they've grown and changed.


And vaguely recalling that "other life" I had before I met my husband.
Just like the song goes, I literally found "tickets torn in half..."
To be completely honest, I've always led a fairly quiet life...but it was kind of a nice reminder that there were a few little flames here and there before I met the one I was waiting for! (Did an old boyfriend and I really get our pictures taken in a photo booth like that? And shame on it for resting dangerously near a sweet anniversary card from my husband!)

And then my mood shifted and I was back even further in time- to age fourteen. Because if that weren't enough- afterwards, I found two old photo albums, stored near the vanity table.
Do you remember my post just last week of visiting my half nephew and his family? I mentioned that trip to Disneyland we went together on with my parents thirty years ago (30 years-this month!) and I had posted a picture.

Well, guess where all the other pictures of that trip were? Care to go a few steps with me on my little memory lane? Hold onto your headdress...

That's my nephew, R. who was then eleven- and fourteen year old me (I know- do the math) and a real Native American posing with us - I believe- at Knotts Berry Farm.

I think my dad told me to pose, just as Tigger and my nephew, R., were sizing each other up.

And I saved the best for last...

ARRRRR!
On that note, Matie, I will bid you a fond farewell on my last complete day alone. But I'll be visiting more of you tonight and saying hello...it's my one chance to try and get caught up in bloggityville!

And I just realized that my next post is my 200th! I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing yet, but I'll think of something- after all, I do have some time on my hands!

Blessings!

19 comments:

ruth said...

I don't remember the song, but I do remember those wonderful pictures of you & R at Disneyland. That was such a fun trip, & to think that both of you are parents now, of your two & his three kids. It doesn't seem that long since you both were the little kids in the photos.

Pamela said...

I am doing a guest post on DISNELAND !!! on my daughters blog this week while she is gone.
WITH pictures of 30 years ago!!!!!!

What a coincidence!

Susan said...

Enjoyable read and loved the pictures!
Susan

Henny Penny said...

I think it's wonderful that you unearthed this treasure chest at a time that you could go through it at your own pace. Enjoy your jewels! ;o)

Susanne said...

What fun pics! Makes me want to go dig out some old pics too, and take a walk down memory lane!

Enjoy your last day by yourself. It will go fast.

Anonymous said...

I loved the old pictures. Since I'm also forty something it really took me back in time as I too went to Disney when I was that age! How fun!
I love that you are a mommy right now! I wish I was doing it all over again. I'm tired just thinking about it. God bless you!
I have an old box full of wonderful treasures from when my husband and I dated. I kept something special from each date. Maybe I will have to blog about it sometime. My daughters have always loved going through that box.

gail@more than a song said...

I have more than one box like that! I want to know what you did or are doing with the stuff in there? I'm pretty sentimental and hang onto too many things, they get built up and I'm not sure what to do with them. It sounds like you got a lot done & have had a good week. Enjoy the rest of the day Tammy!
I love the old pics!

someone else said...

I remember the song and I have many faded photographs, all in black and white.

I have thoroughly enjoyed going through your alone days with you this week.

Dawn said...

I do remember the song - in fact, I now have it in my head! I love going through old stuff like that, but it does get time consuming and I lose track of how long it is taking, and what else I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm glad you're having this time - I remember when both kids would go to camp and I would work like a beaver on some project while they were gone. Now when I'm alone, I squander the time completely, enjoying every minute.

Anonymous said...

I remember the song. And I remember the haircuts and the clothes from those pics you are sharing. They are straight out of the 70's.

I'm home and glad to be here. Thanks for sticking with me.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Mmmm, alone time ... needs to be cherished, doesn't happen often enough.
Bet you are looking forward to everyone being home again, though.
Take care, Meow

Justabeachkat said...

I love that song. And the decription of your day brings back memories of times I've done the same exact thing. It's kinda nice to be able to do that. My Mom actually keeps alot of loose photos in an old hat box. Sometimes we just sit on the sofa and pull one after another out and talk about "the good old days". It's fun. Love the photos you posted. Very cute!

Hugs!
Kat

Susie said...

I remember that song well! Loved seeing your old photos, especially the one with the pirate. Is that at Disneyland? They just reopened Tom Sawyer island as some sort of Pirate Land. You'd be right in style!
xoxo

Believer said...

Thanks for sharing the old pics. You did enjoy yourself after all!

Growing with Julia

Myrna said...

Great pics.

It sounds like you have used your time wisely--Doing the things you want to do and some things you need to do. Enjoy the last of your alone time. I know you will be ready for the homecoming!

Laurie said...

What fun pictures. Glad you are enjoying your time.

Michelle said...

I am living vicariously through your "mom vacation" and enjoying it so much. It is funny, that you should take a detour in your box of memories because I am such a sucker for that kind of thing.

Michelle said...

what a fun box of memories you found! How neat to take a trip down memory lane - and that you found all those old pictures too!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, you were beautiful!