On the way home from the park, we stopped at our local Fred Meyer's. (To those not in the northwest U.S., that is big chain of stores selling groceries, clothes, you name it!) They offer, free of charge, to allow your children to play in an open room, called Playland, complete with playhouse and videos. My girls have adored going in there while I shop, even if it's only for 20 mintues.

As I came to the window to pick them up, I noticed the woman in charge filling out a certificate of some sort. Uh-oh.
"She's graduating," she informed me. Somehow, I instinctively knew that the little coloring book, cookie coupon, and certificate was not going to ease the pain which I could see coming. When the girls came over and my daughter was handed the goodies, at first she smiled.
And then the truth sank in. And both our hearts sank with it.
I tried to talk about it all as positively as I could to her, but as we reached the car, she couldn't hold in the tears in any longer. And you know what? I wanted to cry with her. Oh, I did a pretty good job at hiding my emotions in an attempt at cheering her...I explained the benefits of being to able do all the big girl things first before her younger sister...the big kid rides that she'll get to go on first and how she can ride her bike now without training wheels.
(Even her four year old sister tried to comfort her. She actually told her that she was proud of her!)
But she informed when we arrived home,
"This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life."
A little dramatic? Perhaps. She has been a bit of a little drama princess from day one. However, she said this with such a serious tone that I didn't feel any inclination to laugh at her statement, even on the inside...it only made me want to hug her to myself. Hug her for a long time and not let go.
I guess today I am not only feeling sad for what she is going through, but also, it seems I am suffering a little growing pains myself. My little girl is growing up.
Just like so many posts were written recently by other moms sending thier little ones off to Kindergarten, this incident seemed to hit me in much the same way. I know maybe it seems silly to compare being too big to enter Playland to a Kindergarten send-off...but nevertheless, that is how both mother and daughter are feeling today.
But the things I told her on the drive home are all true, I know they are. There are exciting things ahead for her, and privaliges to being the oldest child.
Each year brings new adventures...new abilities...new wisdom. That can be said for all of us.

But still, it's bittersweet.... this business of growing up. For both of us.
(Pictures taken today at the duck park)








15 comments:
Bless her heart. There can be sadness on the part of younger children as well in this growing up process. My younger sister Ginny felt sad when I proudly marched off to Kindergarten because she was too young to go.
I am so very proud of her & now she gets to shop with Mommy while little sister goes to Playland.
ruth
I vividly remember the pains of growing up, such as the first time my Dad told me I was too big to be carried into the house anymore after falling asleep in the car :)
Aw! It's so hard to grow up, even at such a young age.
Such a sweet post. It is bittersweet, isn't it. I mean, you want them to grow up, but when they do?? Thanks for posting.
Jennifer R.
Yes yes...school is starting next week and my firstborn is starting kindy. Time flies -- BITTERSWEET!!!
Oh, I am right.there.with.you! And it's not silly. What's silly is Fred Meyer deciding that a 7 year old is too big for the Playland. :( 7 years old?! Let the child play! There are plenty of years ahead for growing up.
If you're like me, 5 years from now, you'll look back at a picture of your 7 year old and think, "Oh, she was so little. Why couldn't I see that then?"
BTW...We loved Fred Meyer for their Playland when we lived in Salt Lake City.
Grafted Branch said if for me. That's exactly what my first thought was. What kind of playland doesn't let a seven year old in? Poor thing. I can understand this was the worst thing that's ever happened to her.
What a touching story. Yes, it will happen again and again as they grow. With each stage comes sorrow, and also... excitement. This too shall pass. Feeling sad with both of you.
This is a sweey story. At least the bittersweet graduation was marked with a little compensation.
We appreciate your sympathy...:)
I noticed at bedtime, she was insistent on having a special stuffed animal that either daddy or I gave her. I think it made her feel secure and that she was still "little". Poor sweetie.
But overall, she is getting past it, I think.
I do plan on talking with the manager and asking if she can at least go one more time...she's the kind of person that needs to know it's the last time, and none of knew!
Thanks again for the sweet words, everyone!
Aww, poor baby. It doesn't seem like you should be too big for anything when you're 7, especially Playland. Sweet post, growing up is definitely bittersweet.
What a sweet little girl! Watching our little ones grow up is so hard!
Your pictures are just adorable!
The pictures are adorable! It sounds like a first step of many to growing up. It's a good thing you can keep your kids with you for school.
I love your blog!
Sweet post and photo! Mary, mom to many
I agree that they should let a 7yr old play. ....I'm against strict age or height limits on play areas. My son has always been tall for his age and has had to forego some play areas because he's over their height limit! but his mind and heart were still under the age limit and it was sad for him to be left out. 7 is too young to graduate!
Post a Comment