I just wanted to share some pictures I took on Wednesday....more specifically, No-TV Wednesday.I should confess something...early in the summer, I posted that we were enjoying some lazy days...sort of trying to capture the essence of the season without all the hurry and all the agendas. Hmmm. Although my motives were pure, we had less of those "carefree" summer days than I had hoped for. In other words...my plans for being unplanned didn't work out quite as well as I...well...planned.
However... we actually did get some summer days sprinkled throughout the season where there was nothing pressing on the calendar and errands could wait. And some of these times happened on No-TV Wednesday.

My girls don't even complain anymore about not being able to turn on the TV on these designated days. They just confirm with me that is, indeed, said-day...then go about finding their own fun.
This Wednesday, I have to say that we did have a few things on our calendar...but in those free hours in-between, we just "hung out". In the process, I was observing my children a bit. They are growing up so fast....and so many of us have poignantly pointed out this fact as fellow bloggers sent off their little ones to Kindergarten...or watched their eldest go off to college...or get married.
Mine are shooting up faster than lightening....so you can imagine j
ust how warm inside I felt as I watched them still playing dolls together. I took delight in the fact that they were both still little girl enough to enjoy this simple pleasure...and do it together. In fact, I wanted to capture the moment in my hand and hold it so tightly...knowing childhood is way too fleeting.So, we enjoyed those moments this week...with dolls and dishes sprawled all out over the blanket and grass and as they pushed dollies on the swings and drank water from their play cups. And enjoyed those simple childlike pleasures as summer passes slowly into fall.

"We have these moments to hold in our hands and to touch, as they flow through our fingers like sand. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come...but we have these moments right now." ~ The Gaithers








23 comments:
I wasn't sure which to comment on (I think you posted twice. )
It is wonderful to see the girls playing nice together. My kids loe to play dolls still, even my son who loes to play the bad guy attacking the doll house. :)
I wasn't sure which to comment on (I think you posted twice. )
It is wonderful to see the girls playing nice together. My kids loe to play dolls still, even my son who loes to play the bad guy attacking the doll house. :)
What a great post...and great pictures. And what a great idea for no TV Wednesday. I also get a warm feeling inside when I see my little girls playing together. It's so precious.
I really should try a no-tv day in our family. However, I think the first person to break this rule would be DH. Not a very good example.
Your daughters are just beautiful Tammy. And I'm seeing some long sleeves - must be cooling down in Oregon!
Childhood goes by so fast. I look at my grandchild, so carefree, and feel sad for him that someday the real world will hit him. Carefree days will be gone.
So good for you for making sure the girls have days like this. And good for you for instituting no TV Wednesday. They don't miss it at all when they spend Wednesday doing fun things like this.
And I promise you they'll remember the things they did on Wednesdays a lot longer than they'll remember anything they watched on TV.
You're a great Mommy!
Hello again. I just read your comment on my Friday's Feast. Just wanted to let you know, I paid $5 for my salad spinner, at an outlet mall, years ago. It's cheap plastic, works like a champ and I'd be so sad if I didn't have it. I use it every single night. So a salad spinner is a very attainable "nice thing" for sure.
Yes those days go so quickly. This summer has seemed to just fly by, & I haven't accomplished so many of the things that I wanted to do. I'm glad that the girls are taking this time to enjoy each other & I hope that they don't outgrow that as they get older & don't have as many things in common as they do now.
ruth
So tender! Glad you were able to catch some of those not-so-busy moments on film and in words...
The No-TV Wednesday is a great idea!
Gosh how I remember loving to play with my dolls...to this day I still have one of them and a barbie doll:-) I had hoped for a little girl to pass it on to but instead I have two boys...don't think they'd appreciate being given a doll! lol Great pictures!
What great pictures! I have to admit though, I'm noticing your girls in sweat shirts, sitting on green lawns! Today was 102 here and we haven't had rain all month. We're parched.
If my husband sees your post, he's say, "We're moving." And he'll mean it.
Just beautiful. These memories that you are making will last your girls a lifetime!
heather...thanks! I was having blogger trouble yesterday. I think it's fixed now! :) That was cute about your son!
pea...you can hold onto your dolls for your future granddaughters perhaps? I still have some of mine- but some are so special I won't even let my little sweeties play with!
barb and grafter branch...too funny! Actually, it's going to get to 90 today and we're having a yard sale, to boot! But the mornings and evenings are very cool now. Oh- and we've had the sprinkler on...hence that green, green grass!
But yes, Oregon is kinda' nice sometimes!
Tammy--
Ask and you shall receive.
jeana
The pictures are so precious--your daughters are really cute.
My fav is the picture of her hanging upside down and swinging. I used to do that! I remember my hair dragging the dirt. :>))
I love the designated no TV days. It is so fleeting isn't it. Time flys.
Looks like the girls were able to have fun without the TV being on! Cute picture on the blanket w/the baby dolls!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the video clips I posted of Kayla!
No TV Wednesday sounds like a great idea! And they acutally play together? Your sure about this?
Ooooh, I like the idea of a no tv day. Must try that.
Your photos are gorgeous ... it's wonderful to seek the joy on kids faces when they are at play.
Thank you for sharing.
Take care, Meow
Thanks for stopping by...looks like we share the two-girls-not-in-school-yet feelings. *smile* This is a great idea. I took some pics this weekend of the girls playing dress-up. I LOVE watching the play together. I agree it's moments like these I hope to remember. Your girls are dolls by the way!
And No-TV Wednesday is just genious. I think I'm going to steal your idea but make it Thursdays - the day Daddy usually comes back in town!
Sweet --- it's so easy to take these days forgranted... but all too soon they will be gone. I have found myself reflecting a lot on that lately!!
Tammy, Thanks for visiting my site! I think I now have had 5 visitors, Wendy included. We do "TV-Free Fridays" and my kids also (they are 6, 3 and 8 months) don't even ask anymore on those days. I started that because even though I only let them watch 1 hour total the rest of the week, they seemed to wait all day for each of those 1/2 hour shows! It's the best thing I ever did to encourage them to play together and it gives me a reason to plan something specific for them to work on together.
Post a Comment