
Last summer, inspired by a new friend's experience, we decided to try something new at our house....No TV for one day a week!
No Backyardians...now Wonderpets...no videos of any kind. No HGTV for me... no news shows for my hubby...no unwinding a bit with our TV in bed. (How would we ever get to sleep?)
Somehow, we made it through each and every Friday. In fact, it was a resounding success! So much so, that I decided that as soon as June rolled around again, we'd start over- kind of make it our summer tradition.
Well, I was a little late getting back to it, I'm sorry to say. But last week we finally resumed our little plan -only I re-named it "No-TV Wednesday."
Before I expound on this idea a bit more, let me first say this is no small undertaking for someone like me. Why? Because I could have been the poster child for the TV Generation of the 70's.
In fact, I still have my little diary that my mom gave me when I was seven or eight (the same age that my oldest child is now.) There are several pages devoted to my all-time favorite shows, scribbled in my second grade hand, listing each program right down to their time slot which I had so wonderfully memorized. And here's something even more shocking... I STILL have some of them memorized!
Why, who can forget eating a bowl of ice cream on Friday nights at 8pm, watching a never-before-seen episode of The Brady Bunch? And then there was That Girl, starring Marlo Thomas (Tuesday nights, 8 pm, I believe...). I wanted to be her when I grew up- complete with huge eye lashes. And of coure, the ever-popular "My Three Sons" with the tapping sneakers in the intro. (Tuesdays? Or was it Thursdays?) This was the stuff life was made of!
Anyone under 39 and a half is probably shaking their heads in confusion, but trust me...these were all blockbuster nights in the early in the early 1970's- especially around my house.
You see, I was an only child and though I played with friends, had sleep-overs, and enjoyed books and playing doll house by myself, I still ended up watching a lot of TV during my growing up years and beyond. It was like a very good friend. And sometimes, unfortuantely, an enemy. My parents had it on every night like millions of other Americans, and I sometimes watched things that I didn't like just because "they were on"...or worse yet, watched things that I probably shouldn't have.
As I look upon my old diary, it's pretty amusing...but would I really want my own seven year old's diary to be all about her favorite TV shows...or about her life. Hmmm.
My husband, on the other hand, had a period of time growing up when television was banned. These are what I refer to as "the lost years." When I fondly quote a famous line from the era ("A little song, a little dance, a little selzer down your pants..."), or recall a famous commercial (Let's get Mikey- he eats anything!") he just stares blankly. Poor guy... so clueless....so deprived.
He does now, however, love unwinding with the news and history channels after work...and especially at bedtime. He sets the timer and blissfully falls asleep as if it were a lullaby. And as with many married folks, this is also now my habit. So when we have to go to bed with dark and quiet...it's just...weird! Do other people really do that?
So....now that you know a little of our background, you can see why choosing of our own (Okay-- MY own will) to keep the TV off one day every week is a huge deal.
But a funny thing happens whenever Wednesday rolls around... we have to look for other forms of amusement! Isn't that amazing?
My children will, depending on their moods:
1) play with their actual toys (astounding concept, isn't it!)
2) find yet even more toys they forgot about at the bottom of their toy boxes
3) play outside
4) draw pictures
5) look at books
6) build a fort with chairs and blankets in the livingroom
7) play one of their many board games
8) make a puppet show
9) listen to a story in tape
10) do countless other things that make childhood so much fun

Is there ever a bit of revolt- does whininess ever rear it's ugly head? Once in awhile...and sometimes even among the kids! ;)
It is a bit of a sacrifice for all of us, I cannot lie. But overall, the experiment that turned into a family tradition has been beneficial for us all. To not rely on television- even good television- for survival and happiness is a great practice.
Lest you think that on "normal" days I perhaps park the girls in front of the TV all day, have no fear...we have limits on the rest of the days, too! But it's good to know that we are able to not only function but actually enjoy the day without even one little click of the remote. Amazing.
So...I guess this is my own first version of Works for Me Wednesday. Because No-TV Wednesday works for us.
Now I'm thinking I should give myself a No-Computer Monday. (shudder!) OK...perhaps I need to give that a lot of thought before doing something quite so radical...
Who can name the popular TV show that I quoted from?








27 comments:
That's a great idea! My husband and I do not have a TV in our room, but each of the kids do, and the one in the living room is the focal point of our furniture placement. I'm the only one who can walk into the room without flipping on the TV. My computer? That's another matter.
Laughing at Brenda's comment. I watched a LOT more tv before I started this blog. And I admire you. But I could.not.do.it. Well, I could do it in the summer when TV's all reruns, but when "my shows" start in the fall? Nope. Couldn't do it. You know, someone needs to do a reality tv show about blogging, don't you think? I mean, if they put that on tv, on Wednesday, we could all do no-blogging-Wednesday and I KNOW that would be good for me. I'm rubbing the letters off my keyboard. Sigh....And it's just sad that your husband missed all those let's get Mikey commercials. It really is.
It's funny how different people can be. I rarely watch television and I've always prefered reading. My daughter is like me and my sons could sit for hours in front of the TV if I let them.
I have to go to bed in the quiet dark. I'm so bad I even have to sleep with earplugs.
My big thing would be to go without the computer. I am tempted sometimes because I often feel guilty for not keeping up with my blog.
I hope your TV free Wednesday goes well. :-)
BTW, as a child I loved watching Gilligan's Island, the Brady Bunch, the Beverly Hillbillies, The Flying Nun, and Get Smart.
Do you remember the cartoon, Kimba the White Lion? It was my favorite.
LOL great idea, I unplug Lil' Duck already ;).
I'm already laughing at your comments! Yes, Barb...I'm all for the Blogger Life show (any producers reading my blog?);)
And in all honesty, if I decide to do a no-computer day, it will be the Lord because it would really be a sacrifice at this point, let me tell ya!
OK...what's that one line from? Any guessers? "A little Song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants..." *hint* It was a long-running sitcom from 1970-77. (I know...how in the world do I still know that!)
Mom...no fair guessing...I'm pretty sure you know!
That's great!
I used to keep a notebook about Simon & Simon. I wrote down all the guest stars, the writer, the director, a plot summary and even trivia questions for each episode. Sad, huh?
Like Barb, I used to watch a heckuva lot more TV before I got addicted to blogging! I don't know if I could go a single day without turning on my laptop! GASP!
We don't watch a whole lot of television during the days. The kids don't really get to watch that much. Sometimes in the afternoons I will let them watch something but it's usually a little video-- that way I know the content and I know the length.
I like the idea of no-TV nights, though, when it comes to me & hubby. I could totally go for it... (unless it's during actual television season and it's Thursday... I'm a Survivor junkie. :-) Oh... and I can't do Wednesdays either... I enjoy LOST, too!) It's sad how much time quickly passes sitting in front of the TV- and how much quality conversation time you get when it's not on. But these days, it doesn't matter... my husband is working nights (gone approx 430pm to 430am) so I pass my time (after the kids are in bed) tromping around the bloggy world.
That's a terrific idea - although it wouldn't be Wednesday because So You Think You Can Dance is on that night... so how about Tuesday?
Sounds like a good plan. One day is do-able.
The quote, I do not know. The Mickey comment is, of course, Life cereal! At 42, I was right there with you: Bewitched, Room 222, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, A Family Affair....
Our TV in the hearth room broke in June. The silence in the kitchen has been joyful. :-)C
We used to watch WAY to much TV, my husband and I. So several years ago we decided the TV would be just for movie, video watching. We disconnected the cable. It's remained that way except for a while after 9-11. Now, of course, I let the kids watch too many videos. But at least it's not on all the time.
You know...it's interesting- so far this morning the kids haven't even asked to turn on the TV yet! :)
We are having a rebel in the family this year...dear hubby. In his defense, he's willing not to turn it on until he goes to bed, and even then, he's asleep within 15 minutes...
I'll work on him though!
OK...last clue...
Chuckles the Clown (This should give it away, you all!)
Hey are you trying to lay a guilt trip on your dear old mom? I guess that having grown up in the radio age there was a fastination with the newer media. I bought my first TV in 1957( one of the 2 items your dad laughingly said he married me for in addition to my car) You would not believe the size & weight of that first monster which was mostly cabinet & very little screen.
ruth
OOPS typo in my first post & yes I won't guess because I know the answer to the quote
ruth
My husband grew up with no television, when we got married he didn't want a tv in our home. But I just LOVE renting video's. So we have one, and we are pretty good at watching it. OUR hugest rule is to not "surf" the channels. If we do want to watch TV we look in the TV guide online pick what we want and when the show is off turn the television off. It helps alot!
I remember Monday nights were Little House night! Great idea of having no tv. During the school year my kids hardly watch tv, so I let them watch more in the summer and then we don't have cable, so they usually watch a lot of videos, but not until the afternoon after we're all tired from the day.
I've turned off the computer from Saturday night to Sunday night. It's my little Sabbath time and it's gone pretty well. Technically, I still get on the computer every day, but at least Sundays I'm forced to focus more on other things!
Mom...no, not trying to make you feel guilty! And I do have those fond memories!
AND YES! We have a winner! Poptart mom guessed it...it WAS from Mary Tyler Moore, one my all-time favorite shows!
(I'm smiling just remembering that episode...)
Gina, I love that idea of staying off of the computer on Sunday to stay focused.
Thanks for all you input...and for going down memory lane with me a bit! :)
I've been wanting to wean myself from t.v. for almost a decade. It is certainly a lot better than it used to be; we wait to turn it on until the kids are in bed.
Whenever I allow the kids to watch t.v. or play games on AmericanGirl.com, it's all they can think about for the rest of the day! So, we limit it to sick days whenever possible.
Still trying to eradicate it completely.
I loved Brady Bunch and That Girl! In fact, I wanted to BE That Girl--she was so cool! Little House on the Prairie and The Donny and Marie show were high on my list too!
We don't even get TV reception so videos are the only "shows" we watch these days.
I started to not comment, but I must come clean. I have a tv next to me here in the office - so I read blogs, listen/watch tv, and become absorbed in my other addiction - genealogy. I am beyond hope!
Applauding your efforts. We tend to watch less T.V. in the summer and I'm glad to say that my 11 yr. old and 14 yr. old will choose outside of their own accord. And Brady Bunch, Flintstones and Ed Sullivan were a staple at my house when I was little.
Awesome post! What a great way to spend more time with your family! I have found that I tend to fall in love with shows, so I am better off if I never watch them to begin with. For this reason, my TV is off alot!!!
By the way, I had no idea what the quote was from, BUT I am not just a clueless youngin'. I got way into these shows when I was a teenager and they were on Nick at Nite. Esp. Mary Tyler Moore. So, I'm not totally clueless and deprived!!!
We do not own a television.
I LOVE its absence from our lives.
Just wanted to encourage you to stick with it on your No-TV Wednesdays. I would actually strongly recommend that you fast from television for an entire month. It will be hard at first, but by the end of the month, you will realize how much TV affects your family. Only cutting it out one day a week is better than nothing, but it doesn't stop the habit, so the appetite for TV stays alive and strong.
If you want to know more about what I think, email me.. I don't want to take over your comment section with my strong convictions about this subject!
This is a great idea, and one had thought about for this summer. I think that we definitely need to do it. I also have been thinking of a computer fast day as well. . . .
My husband and I were the opposite of you and yours. I was the TV-deprived one. My husband laughs at me for all the things I've never seen, except in reruns. Good for you for this resolution - from your other post, it sounds like you'll be too busy making memories for your girls to miss TV much.
Post a Comment