Monday, January 15, 2007

"Bop, Bop, Bop...Bop to the Top..."

I have a little confession to make. OK, here goes...

Hi...My name is Tammy. I'm almost 4o-"ahem" years old.
And... I'm addicted to the Disney movie, "High School Musical."

I know, I know...it's suppose to be for high school kids. Hence, the name, right? But...I just can't help it.

Last year, I was channel surfing and caught the last half of this little movie and was blown away by the talent. It came on again afterwards, and my seven year old watched it with me, and instantly loved it, too.
Have you all seen this?

I could go on and on about the merits of this little film. First off, the movie is completely clean and shows a tender, pure love story between the hero and heroine. Any movie about teen and for teens that is both clean and pure already scores some major points in my book, not to mention some good moral lessons about life.

Add to this a superb storyline, great humor, and phenomenal talent and you can't go wrong.
Then top it off with some incredible music....Wow. I am so a fan.

I know perhaps it's not acceptable for someone of my-uh- maturity to like such a juvenille movie...but then again, my little seven year old cannot get enough of it, either, and she's on the other end of the spectrum. (My four year old also gets a kick out of it.)

We "girls" like it so much that we asked for the DVD game for Christmas. And recorded the movie onto DVD to watch over...and over... and over, again.

And here's the second part of my confession. I really hope I don't blow my image here, but you see...I just think...well, that the lead guy (Troy) is "waaaay cute."

OK, I said it.

I don't mean this in any impure way, you all, honestly.
It's just that when I'm watching it, I suddenly feel like I'm a pre-teen girl again, just for a moment.
You know, like remembering David Cassidy or something.

I confessed my tiny little crush to my husband and he's OK with this.
Because he's secure and truly, he really is the only guy I truly love.
And also because even if I was suddenly single, I know Troy wouldn't find this middle-aged mama very promising material for a date to the prom.

In all seriousness, I actually love all of the cast.
The heroine is so sweet and adorable, and the obnoxious brother and sister are so much fun.
I'm impressed that the main point of the movie is to not put yourself into a box of only doing one thing you love....and how the competition and pettiness of a few disolves into comraderie and teamwork.

And if my 79 year old mom likes it, too, you know it must be pretty good.
Well, actually, my sweet mom is more hip than I am when it comes to entertainment. She watches American Idol, after all. ;)

So...now you all know my deep, dark secret.
I watch High School Musical and I blush like a 12 year old when Troy sings to Gabriella. sigh

I hope you all won't hold this against me.

Nor the fact that I know some of the dance moves to "We're all in this together".
Um...no, it's not a sight for the faint-hearted.

Edited to add: They're going to be showing a world-wide airing on January 20th! So sit down with your kids and watch it...and just try not to dance! ;)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw it for the 1st time too a couple of weeks ago. It was enjoyable but I'm a sucker for musicals from way back. :v)

Pamela said...

Hey, nothing wrong with liking a musical. Especially one done with talented young teens! I think that is awesome and maybe it will catch on and they will make a few more. However, this Troy thing...lol *smile*

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this one. Is it something like American Grafitti or Grease?
I do watch American Idol and enjoy that!!
:)

Tammy said...

LOL...Yes, Pamela, I know...but it is truly an innocent crush- like when you watch any love story and put yourself into the role of the heroine. I honestly don't go around swooning over teen idols, you all, I promise!

And yes, Sue...in fact, this movie reminds me of a more sweet, wholesome version of Grease. Kind of like Grease if you crossed with an old musical. :)

Anonymous said...

Would it be suitable for my 7 year old? I'd like a fun movie for Friday with her.

Anonymous said...

Okay... Your cover is now officially blown! *LOL*

Emily and I caught just clips of this one. Maybe we will watch the whole thing sometime. :o)

Anonymous said...

I watched this with my girls, and we all loved it!

Chrissy said...

YES!! My daughter's birthday party last summer was based on this movie!

I sing it in my sleep. How many times do you think I've seen it?!
(singalullaby.typepad)

Anonymous said...

P.S. I tagged you if you'd like to play.

ruth said...

It has been awhile since I watched it & yes I relly liked it. Hey maybe if you watch it again when it is on, you could record it on DVD for me.
Hey I'm flattered that you think I'm hip!
ruth

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that, but my mom is also an American Idol fan. She needs to meet your mama!

Linda said...

Sounds like my kind of movie. I freely admit there's a part of me that has never grown up. I think I may have to watch it - even if it's just to check out Troy :-)

Dawn said...

Well, I am going to have to put Jan 20 on the calendar. What network?? I've not heard of it, but you can bet, by the description, that I will like it. VERY FEW movies fit my criteria to even rent. I don't go to theaters. Raised that way, never changed.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, and I don't have cable so I guess I still won't be seeing it yet.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this one but have been wanting to! I love musicals and think I would like it.
I LOVE American Idol too!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this, too!!
Jennifer R.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I have never seen this musical but I did sit though Step Up with my son. He got it for Christmas (I hope I am saying the right title? ;~) - Anyway, the dancing was amazing and surprisingly clean over all.

I do love musicals. I love the dancing in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I have watched it so many times...I mean...whose counting??

Carole Burant said...

Well now we know! hehe I haven't seen this yet but I think it will be the type of musical I would enjoy so hopefully it will be shown here on the 20th too! As for Troy....hey what's wrong with a little crush once in a while??? lol Hugs xox

Barb said...

Hello. My name is Barb. I'm 56 and I'm hopelessly addicted to Grease.

LOL

Good grief! You're never too old for a great Disney movie. I haven't seen this one but it sounds like I should.

This cracks me up. You're not juvenile. You just know good movies when you see them. :-)

Jeana said...

We LOVE tghat movie! We got the DVD and the game too, and I can't tell you how many times we've watched it, just since Christmas. I'm a Chad fan, myself. Is there a cuter grin? I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

Tammy--I appreciate the positive review. I have heard similar thoughts, and my daughter has seen bits of it at a friend's house, but I want to watch it with her sometime.

Anonymous said...

We have had it from Blockbuster online for about 6 months. Is that ridiculous or what. We just need to buy it. My little one especially likes to sing "Soarin', flyin'" which sounds like, "SOWIN, PLYIN." Sheesh. Sometimes I wake up singing those songs (we have the CD, too).

Susannah said...

Hey Tammy! What a koinkydink. The following info just arrived in my e-mail inbox from CommonSense Media... Looks like a sequel is in the making. Hugs!

What's Hot: High School Musical...2 On the one-year anniversary of High School Musical, Disney invited fans to participate in the making of next summer's sequel. Through January 31, tweens can log on to DisneyChannel.com and go to "High School Musical: Play Your Part." In 10 poll questions, fans can help decide certain elements of the HSM 2 movie, including what kind of sandwich Troy packs for his picnic with Gabriella. Oh boy!