Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tucked in



Do you ever long ...just for a moment... to be a tiny child again?

Sometimes I do. If I'm feeling stressed, or things aren't going as well as I'd like.
At those times, I wish my only care in the world was to find my doll's lost dress, or to have to start all over on my drawing.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Or maybe there are times when you, too, want nothing more than to go back to your childhood...if only for a day.

No...nothing horrible is happening in my life right now. But I
am feeling stressed. Just... stressed.
I get that way sometimes, and when I do, my well-meaning husband always asks what I'm stressed about. But sometimes, I don't have a black and white answer to give in response.

It's in these times, that a big part of me wants to hop into a time machine and float back to a simpler time in my life. Yes, perhaps, a more selfish time.
When everyone took care of me and not the other way around.


I love the special times at bedtime with my own girls.
But there are those secret moments, when I'm feeling a bit sad... or fearful... or just plain overtired... when all I want is to be the one who is tucked into bed, read a bedtime story, and kissed good-night again.



It's times like this, that sometimes I hear God whisper my name and say,

"You are my little daughter. Come sit on my lap and snuggle...tell me everything that is on your heart...and I will listen. Because I love you with an everlasting love."

Sometimes, it's hard for me to grasp that He loves me even more than a parent loves her child. Even more than my mother loved me... even more than I love my own.

But He does. And sometimes, that's all I need when I am feeling overwhelmed.
And that in His eyes, I'm still his little child. Protected, cherished and in His care...always.

" And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, Abba, Father. " Galations 4:6 NLT version

24 comments:

TJ said...

there is probably not a blogger among us that does not want to do what you have described!!
Loved this post!!
(((hugs)))

someone else said...

Me, too. This was so well-stated and I have those times too when I feel "out of sorts" and just can't quite figure out why. What a good reminder to us that God sees and understands and cares.

Missy said...

Wow...that first picture looks exactly like your youngest!

Susie said...

Beautiful childhood pictures Tammy!
Sending prayers that you will feel comforted and less stressed!
((hugs))

Carole Burant said...

As children we can't wait to grow up...as adults we wish we could go back to being children...little did we know then how easy we had it!!! I think we all go through what you are going through, not wanting the responsibilities and wanting to get taken care of. Love the pictures of you as a child...your girls certainly do look like their mommy:-) Hugs xoxo

ruth said...

It was neat to see those pictures again of you when you were little & it brought back such sweet memories of you. I enjoyed tucking you in at night & all those wonderful things you do with your girls. A part of me at times wishes I could go back to that time when I was a little girl myself, especially the time when I lived in a small town. I guess at times, I'm not happy getting to be so old.

Dawn said...

I think that is why I blog so much about my past. I'm sure my parents were stressed many times, but they didn't let it show very often to the 5 of us hungry, growing kids! Good words!

Pamela said...

Wonderful post Tammy, and He has broad shoulders too! He is always there with us and is so faithful!

You were such a cute little girl! Will pray for a little blessed peace in your life. :)

Had to giggle at your comment and I agree two puppies would not be the answer! lol

Linda said...

I know exactly how you feel Tammy. You expressed it so very well. I had such a happy, secure childhood, and there are times I do wish I was that little girl again with no cares and surrounded by love. You painted a beautiful picture of the Father's love for us. That is just what He provides for us - a place of safety, and security and love.
I very much needed to hear this today. Thank you so much. I am so glad we can encourage one another.

Nancy said...

Nicely put... God is all we need to make us feel safe and "tucked in". You have been a blessing to me today. Thanks for sharing.

Beck said...

I know what you mean - that safe, taken-care of feeling from childhood that never really comes back. what a lovely post!

Anonymous said...

what a great post, I loved it. Thanks for sharing.

momsmusings said...

This is such an awesome reminder to me. Thanks for sharing this with us all (and thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!)

Susanne said...

Lovely, lovely post Tammy. Thanks for the reminder that God is our Father God and longs for us to come to Him when we feel like that.

Lisa said...

"Precious memories how they linger..." *Singing*

We all feel this way sometimes I think. I know that I do. I long for days at Mamaw and Papaw's house. The good thing is that you know where to find comfort. There are a lot of sad people out there still searching...

*Hugs-a-bunch*

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm sure most of the blogging community can completely identify with what you posted. Sometimes we can't put our finger on it, but still we feel the stress - the culmination of it all. When it hits me like that, I find myself thinking back to my life when I was in an apt and only took care of me and one cat.

Jana said...

What a beautiful post - you brought tears to my eyes.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Very comforting post.

Thanks, Tammy!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Awww...this is so sweet!

Another thing I wish at times is that my kids were little again, so when they call with hurts and pains I could just cuddle them up in my arms and kiss away the hurt.

It is hard to do that when your kids are 2000 miles away.

Michelle said...

ah yes to be young again - not a care in the world! I understand where you're coming from!

Grafted Branch said...

This is a beautiful post, and very timely for me too. I can't remember childhood well, but you've painted it so well that I can imagine. And you're right -- we are children to the Heavenly Father -- children in need of care and love and hugs.

I'm going to use you as a prayer target this week when I begin to feel stressed or overwhelmed. *hugs*

Barb said...

You know, I've never actually wanted to be a child again. But I do look at my little grandbaby and feel sad that he has to grow up. His world is so safe and secure and worry free right now. I hate that it ever has to change.

Anonymous said...

When my girls are sitting around doing "art", dancing around a room, playing dress up or excited because they are on their way to their first dental appointment I often wish it were me, at that age again. Okay, I really think I just want to be their sister and play with them!!

I do wish I could climb into bed with a special blankie and snuggle with my stuffed animal whenever life gets overwhelming. I know I still could, but it wouldn't be the same.

Laurie said...

My grandmother told me once that she still misses her mother everyday, and she has been gone for 50 or so years. Don't we all love that cuddled and loved feeling. And yes, our Father, is not only strong and mighty, but gentle and loving.